The Student Room Group

IELTS for Master's Degree and upwards

IELTS is being requested for students who were bred and born in the UK, even at Master's level. The criteria seems to be that "they are not English native speakers" enough. Some universities are a bit more enlightened, some others seem to make decisions on whether the student "has got an accent" and whether there has been some primary or secondary education abroad. I find this a nice money earner for IELTS, but outrageous for those (not me) who have to go through the humiliating experience of taking an IELTS test after going to school here and having a BA degree. AIBU?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Voxdei
IELTS is being requested for students who were bred and born in the UK, even at Master's level. The criteria seems to be that "they are not English native speakers" enough. Some universities are a bit more enlightened, some others seem to make decisions on whether the student "has got an accent" and whether there has been some primary or secondary education abroad. I find this a nice money earner for IELTS, but outrageous for those (not me) who have to go through the humiliating experience of taking an IELTS test after going to school here and having a BA degree. AIBU?

Unis won't usually need an English test for UK nationals, (at postgrad). In cases where one is asked for, it's usually because they have been resident overseas, or weren't recently taught in a English speaking country. Unis don't set requirements because someone "has an accent", (although the uni may do their own waiver assessment and the student might not pass it).
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Unis won't usually need an English test for UK nationals, (at postgrad). In cases where one is asked for, it's usually because they have been resident overseas, or weren't recently taught in a English speaking country. Unis don't set requirements because someone "has an accent", (although the uni may do their own waiver assessment and the student might not pass it).

I have been asked myself for an IELTS exam result when applying for the stupid PGCE. I tutor in IELTS. Only enlightened places such as the UCL-IOE accepted that it was ridiculous. Now I hear that a Turkish postgrad (educated here in London) has been asked to do the IELTS test. Someone high above at the Dept of Ed. should stamp out this practice. I don't mind at all if one is away abroad and is asked to do an English test once accepted (god knows I correct enough horrors on paper even from privately educated students!). It's just another hurdle and expensive detour in students' path.
Original post by Voxdei
I have been asked myself for an IELTS exam result when applying for the stupid PGCE. I tutor in IELTS. Only enlightened places such as the UCL-IOE accepted that it was ridiculous. Now I hear that a Turkish postgrad (educated here in London) has been asked to do the IELTS test. Someone high above at the Dept of Ed. should stamp out this practice. I don't mind at all if one is away abroad and is asked to do an English test once accepted (god knows I correct enough horrors on paper even from privately educated students!). It's just another hurdle and expensive detour in students' path.

When did the Turkish postgrad complete their studies?

Most unis have a consistent internal policy and have the same requirements for all incoming students. It may feel like an uuncessary hurdle, especially is English is practically a first language, but ultimately the unis need evidence of that.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
When did the Turkish postgrad complete their studies?

Most unis have a consistent internal policy and have the same requirements for all incoming students. It may feel like an uuncessary hurdle, especially is English is practically a first language, but ultimately the unis need evidence of that.

I shall investigate further and get back to you. I can see that IELTS is a lucrative business, what with the visa tiers and unis asking for the certificate. On the other side of this "observation", there's a London architecture institute which is linked to a prestigious university that USED to be a camel and the eye of the needle case. Now full of Chinese students. I doubt that their standard of English is very high, and their comprehension of architecture even less. But a mark, a yen a buck (not the pound) is what makes the world go round. Well, this institution wanted Architecture/Build Environment to be less elitist. They have achieved that, in a roundabout way.
Reply 5
Original post by Voxdei
I shall investigate further and get back to you. I can see that IELTS is a lucrative business, what with the visa tiers and unis asking for the certificate. On the other side of this "observation", there's a London architecture institute which is linked to a prestigious university that USED to be a camel and the eye of the needle case. Now full of Chinese students. I doubt that their standard of English is very high, and their comprehension of architecture even less. But a mark, a yen a buck (not the pound) is what makes the world go round. Well, this institution wanted Architecture/Build Environment to be less elitist. They have achieved that, in a roundabout way.

In addition, in a place like London, how many of these people would score LESS than the overall 7 required? Go to Glasgo and do the oral and the listening part of IELTS there. See what they score.
Reply 6
Student who was made to take IELTS born and educated here (East London comprehensive). Has Medical degree. Speaks with a slight cockney accent (I am told). To do the MSC she was required to take IELTS. She did, "anything for a quiet life". Utterly humiliating.
Original post by Voxdei
Student who was made to take IELTS born and educated here (East London comprehensive). Has Medical degree. Speaks with a slight cockney accent (I am told). To do the MSC she was required to take IELTS. She did, "anything for a quiet life". Utterly humiliating.

Very odd. Presumably she had a recent undergrad degree completed in the UK?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending