The Student Room Group

Maths A-level, college options for mature student

Hi all,

Any input at all is greatly appreciated :smile:.

I have been working professionally for the past 2 years and was looking to do a master's degree in investment management. Unfortunately given my undergrad degree is in history and I do not have an A-level in maths I do not qualify.

I am looking to take a year out to complete my A-level maths and would appreciate any information regarding colleges that take on mature students. Is there a directory listing colleges in London along with the intensive courses they cater for? I have trolled the internet and cannot find anything but drips and drabs. At the moment my best option seems to be City of Westminster College. This may very well be the best option but I would like to be as thorough as possible before making my decision.

Thanks,

Andrew
Reply 1
I was feeling all ready to help you when I read the title...

I am 22 and have just ogne back to do A-Levels, it took me a long time to find a college which would allow me to take A-Levels full time, but I finally did (although it is a 2hr journey every morning and evening)

Unfortunately I live in Manchester - any other questions re: doing Maths a-level as a mature student though, give me a message.

Jade
Reply 2
Thanks anyway I appreciate the sentiment :smile: .
I do have a quick question though. Have you taken A-level maths previously? The one college I have found is reluctant to allow students into intensive classes if they have not taken the A-level previously, i.e. it is aimed at students re-taking with the goal of improving their grade.

Thanks,

Andrew
Reply 3
Having done my degree I thought I would turn my AS level History into a full A Level before making my MA applications in a couple of years time. I'm moving from Hull to Manchester and assumed there'd be loads of opportunities for mature students to study (as indeed there are in Hull). How shocked I am to be told by 'The Manchester College' that there are no A-level courses for people over 18! I can only assume that the adults of Manchester are incredibly stunted in some way as a result, and can't understand why they're not taking to the street with the pitchforks they no doubt keep in their sheds.
You could try here:

http://www.wlc.ac.uk/default.asp

I think they do intensive Maths A-Level.

I would be wary of Westminster tbh, I called them up a while ago and it took me ages to get through, then when I finally did I was told by some miserable bag that even though they offer "adult" courses, they want people to come on board and take up to 3 A-Levels, and even then they only give out places to mature students if there are spaces left over from their normal 18-19 intake. :eek3:

Latest