The Student Room Group

I want to become a high school teacher. Should I get a degree in Maths or Biology?

In an ideal world, I would have loved to teach biology or PE. But im now aware that biology-only teachers are very rare. Science teachers normally have to teach all 3 of biology, physics, and chemistry. (Which i don't want to do)

I want to teach just ONE subject and put my heart and sole into that subject.

PE is extremely competitive to find a job.

So now im considering a Mathamatics degree instead even though maths isnt my forte.

But ive heard maths would open more opportunities.

Is this correct?
you have already posted this thread. please do not make a duplicate
Reply 2
Original post by alevelstudent090
you have already posted this thread. please do not make a duplicate

No I haven't. They are completely different questions which ive asked. Im assuming you didn't read the thread properly.

In this thread im asking about Maths, more specifically and the opportunities it could bring over other subjects etc...
Reply 3
Maths teachers are in shortage and PE teachers are in oversupply, PE teacher jobs are hard to find and schools can afford to be super picky.

I think the requirement for maths teacher training is a degree with 50% maths so a joint (or combined) honours degree including maths would be suitable and they'll take people with maths adjacent subjects like engineering.
but if you're hating maths already you'll probably find it tough going at uni.

I'm assuming you're at school or college now - why not talk to one of these science teachers and see how they find covering more than one subject cos I don't think they generally find it disagreeable.
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
Maths teachers are in shortage and PE teachers are in oversupply, PE teacher jobs are hard to find and schools can afford to be super picky.

I think the requirement for maths teacher training is a degree with 50% maths so a joint (or combined) honours degree including maths would be suitable and they'll take people with maths adjacent subjects like engineering.
but if you're hating maths already you'll probably find it tough going at uni.

I'm assuming you're at school or college now - why not talk to one of these science teachers and see how they find covering more than one subject cos I don't think they generally find it disagreeable.

Thanks for the reply. No, im not in school or college. I am a mature student who just re-sat my gcse's.

I retook my gcse's because i want to get into teaching.

I now need to choose a subject for a degree before i can apply for my pgce teacher training.

Im undecided because i don't want to do a 3 year degree with nothing to show for it at the end of it.

Like you say, maths is in shortage so that may be the best option.
Maths is not something you do because you think it is what you should be doing. If you don't love it now, you will hate it by the end of your degree... if you even get to the end. Don't get me wrong, maths is an incredibly rewarding subject, but you need to actually relish the problem solving process instead of becoming frustrated by it. Not everybody is cut out for that.
Original post by Ashleylaw
In an ideal world, I would have loved to teach biology or PE. But im now aware that biology-only teachers are very rare. Science teachers normally have to teach all 3 of biology, physics, and chemistry. (Which i don't want to do)

I want to teach just ONE subject and put my heart and sole into that subject.

PE is extremely competitive to find a job.

So now im considering a Mathamatics degree instead even though maths isnt my forte.

But ive heard maths would open more opportunities.

Is this correct?

Don't do a maths degree if you don't actually want to study maths for itself. Especially if it's not an area you are strong in. Particularly as degree level maths is vastly different to the school maths you are familiar with.

Ultimately it's common for teachers across the board to teach multiple subjects these days I gather. I think also you are thinking of subjects from a very school student perspective as being artificially "boxed off" and divided. The reality is that biology and chemistry are continuous with each other (and mathematical methods, if not maths more generally, are continuous with all scientific enterprise) beyond school level. The artificial divides in school are just that- artificial. They're a convenient abstraction to compartmentalize teaching for students.

If you do a biology degree you will do some level of chemistry, and more to the point you will need to think in terms of chemistry concepts (if not necessarily directly solving chemistry related problems) to understand all of modern biology.

I think you are failing to see the forest for the trees here.
Reply 7
Original post by Veet Voojagig
Maths is not something you do because you think it is what you should be doing. If you don't love it now, you will hate it by the end of your degree... if you even get to the end. Don't get me wrong, maths is an incredibly rewarding subject, but you need to actually relish the problem solving process instead of becoming frustrated by it. Not everybody is cut out for that.

I completely get what you're saying. But at the same time, once i got my degree, i would only be teaching maths at gcse level.

As a mature student (who hated maths in school) I self studied and taught myself maths gcse and re sat my gsce's and passed. Turns out i don't hate it as much as i thought.

Of course, i know maths at degree level would be whole other ball game.
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Don't do a maths degree if you don't actually want to study maths for itself. Especially if it's not an area you are strong in. Particularly as degree level maths is vastly different to the school maths you are familiar with.

Ultimately it's common for teachers across the board to teach multiple subjects these days I gather. I think also you are thinking of subjects from a very school student perspective as being artificially "boxed off" and divided. The reality is that biology and chemistry are continuous with each other (and mathematical methods, if not maths more generally, are continuous with all scientific enterprise) beyond school level. The artificial divides in school are just that- artificial. They're a convenient abstraction to compartmentalize teaching for students.

If you do a biology degree you will do some level of chemistry, and more to the point you will need to think in terms of chemistry concepts (if not necessarily directly solving chemistry related problems) to understand all of modern biology.

I think you are failing to see the forest for the trees here.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that, but im still just worried about doing a 3 year degree and then struggle to get a job etc..

Im just looking for the best options which get me into teaching because becoming a teacher was always my dream. (PE or Biology teacher first and foremost)
I completely get what you're saying. But at the same time, once i got my degree, i would only be teaching maths at gcse level.

As a mature student (who hated maths in school) I self studied and taught myself maths gcse and re sat my gsce's and passed. Turns out i don't hate it as much as i thought.

Of course, i know maths at degree level would be whole other ball game.

Degree maths is a very different beast from GCSE maths. It starts to get very abstract very quickly. Even the students who love maths can get thrown by it at first, especially when encountering real analysis for the first time. I'm honestly not trying to put you off, but you do need to know what you'd be getting yourself into.
Thanks for the reply. I understand that, but im still just worried about doing a 3 year degree and then struggle to get a job etc..

Im just looking for the best options which get me into teaching because becoming a teacher was always my dream. (PE or Biology teacher first and foremost)

Science subjects I believe are shortage subjects currently, although I don't know if the individual sciences may vary. Generally I think you would have a fair chance of finding a job as a science teacher.

I believe it's fairly typical for science teachers to teach two sciences at GCSE level, one at A-level, and potentially all before GCSE level. However since GCSE level chemistry would likely be something you have covered far beyond in your A-levels and degree, and pre-GCSE science in general something you have a broad exposure to all the relevant concepts from your degree and other studies, it's not like you need to have a joint honours in three or even just two sciences to have the knowledge to do that.

A degree in biology would more than equip you to teach A-level Biology and at least GCSE Biology and chemistry I would expect, if not also physics. I imagine you would also be more than qualified to teach the range of pre-GCSE sciences.

Note also if you are "missing" an area needed for your teacher training you can be paid to do an SKE course before commencing your PGCE or equivalent anyway, as I understand it.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending