Reply 1
No.

2 or 3, probably.
Reply 2
once or twice a year
Reply 3
Two or three..
davey_davedave
How often does a middle-class English person go on holiday?

Middle-class? Probably 3 times a year plus weekends away.

And do you really mean NEVER? like no camping/caravanning?

Some years we dont go on holiday at all and abroad is like once every 3 years though thats only since I was a teenager before it was every 5 years.
Reply 5
Ermm no, freak.

Most people go on holiday twice a year
A couple times a year.
Reply 7
I thought most people go on holiday once a year. We're essentially middle-class and we've always had one holiday a year.
I know people who have never been on holiday :dontknow:. It varies with me. This year I will have had 5 holidays, but my holidays also include time spent at home because I use my holiday time to visit my family and my boyfriend.
Jennie1987
Middle-class? Probably 3 times a year plus weekends away.

And do you really mean NEVER? like no camping/caravanning?

Some years we dont go on holiday at all and abroad is like once every 3 years though thats only since I was a teenager before it was every 5 years.

Nope, never.
davey_davedave
How often does a middle-class English person go on holiday?

You've never been on holiday? Ever? :lolwut: I find it slightly weird...

We usually go on holiday about 2 times a year :yep:
werd123
I thought most people go on holiday once a year. We're essentially middle-class and we've always had one holiday a year.

See I think this is the barrier - why are you middle-class? cos people define it as different thing.

Mostly its seen as families that change their cars (2 of course) every 3ish years, children in public school, professional jobs, maybe a holiday home, expensive hobbies (polo/horseriding/skiing etc.), children in all the extra curricular things (musical instrument/mandarin lessons/choir/lacrosse) and of course every gadget immediately bought (iPad/laptop/xbox360/ps3/iPhone) to keep up with everyone else.
Reply 12
Really? Definitely not normal.
We usually go away 2 or 3 times a year.
Reply 13
2-3 times a year? :/ thats nuts..... I get once a year if im lucky :frown:

But yeah, its not normal to have never been on holiday
No idea about middle class but for working class like myself it's completely normal. I've never left the British Isles in my entire life and been on 2 British holidays.
Reply 15
Jennie1987
See I think this is the barrier - why are you middle-class? cos people define it as different thing.

Mostly its seen as families that change their cars (2 of course) every 3ish years, children in public school, professional jobs, maybe a holiday home, expensive hobbies (polo/horseriding/skiing etc.), children in all the extra curricular things (musical instrument/mandarin lessons/choir/lacrosse) and of course every gadget immediately bought (iPad/laptop/xbox360/ps3/iPhone) to keep up with everyone else.

Oh dear, we do none of those :p: My parents only change the car when it dies, and then they just buy a second hand one for about £1000 or so. We all go to state schools (I don't know if thats public school or not? Ones run by the government basically), we're not hugely big on gadgets and we don't have any expensive hobbies.

However I've always thought we were middle class basically because we live in a nice area (Parents got the house 16 years ago for a hundred grand, which may explain that) and everybody around here is middle class. We don't have any debts apart from the mortgage obviously, and generally lead pretty comfortable lives. Basically we have nothing really to complain about.
Reply 16
I know quite a lot of people who have never been on holiday, mianly down down to their economic situation though.

The middle class people I know go on holiday about 2-6 times a year, as most have villas in Spain or Italy or something, and go skiing (don't really see somewhere as a holiday if its cold).
I went with one of mates and his family to their apartment in Italy last year. Most boring week of my life, middle of nowhere, no pubs or anything, and quite frankly it smelt of soup. Spent a week walking around, looking at ruins. wtf, that is not a holiday.
Jennie1987

I don't think most people see middle-class as people who play polo and send their children to public school...
It's a little unusual, but this is TSR after all; pretty much everyone on here is middle/upper class and takes holidays for granted.
Myself, being from a working class family, we used to go every two years when I was younger. Now, I don't really go on holiday because I hate hot weather and can't afford to pay for myself. My parents go every year, and sometimes take weekends away too.
Wow. I thought once a year was normal, I'm surprised so many people are saying 2-3 times!
Until year 10 I had only ever been on holiday to the scottish islands and the lake district. Then I started going on school languages trips and my jet setting kind of snowballed out of control!
Not family holidays though. I did think I was some form of middle class though, until I read that definition of middle class on this page. My parents had professional jobs, well, I think my Mum's counted as professional... and I do the extra curricular things - my sister doesn't though and that's it off the list on here.

Latest