The Student Room Group

Holidays and restaurants I don’t get it (vent?)

So first to start off I’m almost 18 and have only been to England (where I live) and Romania for holidays where my parents are from, last time I was on holiday was around 6-7 years ago and when in Romania for holiday we never done anything other that stay at our house or grandparents house.
Family life isn’t the best so even when offered by parents (rarely) to visit grandparents in Romania I decline as I have no reason of being there, money has not been a major problem but due to family circumstances it’s more of a choice not to go.
This being said I have never been anywhere else and whilst at uni I have so many places I want to visit but I’m scared, I feel like I’m not capable of experiencing and enjoying things as I simply just don’t know how, I feel as if I would easily get overwhelmed and just hide.
Money is not a problem as stated before but as I have no experiences with holidays they just seem as wasting money which although opens possibilities to fulfil my dream of experiencing all sorts of cultures it just adds much more stress.

This also links in with the fact that I have never been to a restaurant, yes the occasional fast food but a normal restaurant no. I do not even know how to apprehend going to a restaurant, same as a holiday. what am I supposed to do? And just how?

I hate to admit this but me and my girlfriend don’t meet up much mainly because of school and work but that’s besides the point. One time we hung out the whole day, done some activities like ice skating and then we were meant to find a restaurant eat at (she didn’t want to because she’s big on us saving money for uni) but I really wanted to experience it with her but I just couldn’t lead and pick a place because of my fear of never being to a restaurant so we ended up not eating much that day :/
I can’t help but feel so pathetic and like such a loser because I can’t overcome and literally don’t know how to experience life like holidays and restaurants.
Not sure if this helps put things into perspectives but I can count on both hands all the times I’ve been out with friends in my almost 18 years of life.

Honestly don’t know what I was writing about, switched to a few topics so I guess this is a vent
- you're still very young and got tonnes of time to travel. waiting until you're 18 is probably for the best because then you know you won't have any issues booking hotels, getting in to places etc
- with being overwhelmed with travel or restaurants. instead of booking 2 weeks in mexico or going to fine dining restaurant - start small maybe thats going to london on a day trip or to a cafe for lunch
(edited 10 months ago)
Ah I'm tempted to write a complete guide:

In restaurants you open the door and wait for someone to ask you how many seats, you get taken to a table, you sit down and look at the menu, choose what you want to order (usually drinks first. If you don't want to get any, tap water is free)
A waiter/waitress would take your order, if you have any allergies, tell them. Then wait until your food arrives (could take from 15 min to half an hour. Any longer than that, ask if they've got your order down)

Then eat the food. After you finish, just wave to a waiter and say 'bill please' then pay.

That's it. If you have any other problems, just wave and ask a staff member and they'll help. If you're really worried about this, find someone to go to a restaurant with you.
Reply 3
thanks for the advice honestly, ill take it little by little

Original post by yeet_21
- you're still very young and got tonnes of time to travel. waiting until you're 18 is probably for the best because then you know you won't have any issues booking hotels, getting in to places etc
- with being overwhelmed with travel or restaurants. instead of booking 2 weeks in mexico or going to fine dining restaurant - start small maybe thats going to london on a day trip or to a cafe for lunch
Reply 4
Original post by Bookworm524
Ah I'm tempted to write a complete guide:

In restaurants you open the door and wait for someone to ask you how many seats, you get taken to a table, you sit down and look at the menu, choose what you want to order (usually drinks first. If you don't want to get any, tap water is free)
A waiter/waitress would take your order, if you have any allergies, tell them. Then wait until your food arrives (could take from 15 min to half an hour. Any longer than that, ask if they've got your order down)

Then eat the food. After you finish, just wave to a waiter and say 'bill please' then pay.

That's it. If you have any other problems, just wave and ask a staff member and they'll help. If you're really worried about this, find someone to go to a restaurant with you.

this might sound silly but this is actually useful lmfao, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest