The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
ak56
I prefer Kenyan attitudes to British attitudes, if I could exchange my middle class British life for a middle class Kenyan life I would, these countries aren't all tiny babies covered in flies you know.

Yes, I know. I'm not ignorant and don't think of the entire continent o Africa as some huge dry wasteland with starving kids. Band Aid is one of the worst examples of orietalism.

I could have named a better example than Malawi. It was just the first country that came to mind considering it certainly was the least developed and poorest country in the world.

Kenya's a slightly different kettle of fish and is certainly a country I'm aware of (and will hopefully be extensively travelling soon)
vander Beth
Let's be honest, who prefers to read the comments?

The comments and letters are gold http://liberalconspiracy.org/2010/06/10/the-daily-mail-and-bongo-bongoland/ people and their pens/keyboards of rage!
Reply 62
The_Male_Melons
Just one in ten babies is born to a white British mother in some parts of the country, figures reveal.
The statistics - based on NHS monitoring of the ethnicity and nationality of patients - show a sharp contrast in the backgrounds of new mothers in urban and rural areas.
While white British mothers accounted for just 9.4 per cent of all births in one London health trust, the figure was 97.4 per cent of all births in Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust.
The birth statistics reflect how mothers described themselves, not the ethnicity of the fathers or the babies.
Across all of England's 150 NHS Trusts there were 652,638 deliveries last year, around six out of ten of them to women who called themselves white British.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1301338/New-figures-reveal-barely-half-new-mothers-parts-suburban-England-white-British-origin.html#ixzz0w6eBEpRa

I am seriously find this article disgusting and just plain racist. I am even more shocked at the comments that are green arrowed.
Words just fail me.
I am not surprised from the DailyMail, clearly this article is just inflammatory and disgusting.

I wonder if the sample size were all the same ?

Daily Mail had Larger Districts up north whilst in London it used smaller Samples
Reply 63
The notion that there ever was a british culture to preserve, value and sanctify is a silly one. Romanticism and nostalgia has taken hold and multiculturalism has become a scapegoat for people looking for something to blame their god awful problems on.
Reply 64
Sarky
Yes but I am black and british and was born here. As was my mother and my father. I read the article and it makes it seem as though not being "white british" is the same as being an immigrant, and that isn't true.

This and before that your Grandparents probably lived in the Empire
Reply 65
I shouldn't be but I'm still shocked by some of the comments by readers. I don't get why people are still like that lol.

These stood out to me most in the article:

Ministers have proposed forcing non EU migrants to buy their own private health care for non-emergency treatment on the NHS.
David Cameron has pledged to reduce the level of net migration - the number of people arriving minus the number leaving - from the hundreds to the tens of thousands.

For start, many of the people who were not 'white british' would have been 'other british', not necessairly linked to immigration at all, yet that seems to be the focus of the opinion at the end and the comments.

Also, I can not find the stats (would appreciate if someone could link me if they know a source) but I read not so long ago that net migration is negative (more people leave than enter) for non-EU countries overall. I'm not 100% on this, but it does sound very feasible to me. Other than students, I know many more people who have left for non-EU countries than came here from them. So how is stopping immigration from these countries helping.

Also 'Well this person is having a baby, but they can't afford to pay... lets just leave them to have it in their home and care for it themselves.'. I know that everyone has to pay some anyway, but seriously, that's not a very nice image of England is it.

Also, someone in the comments is going on about how we shouldn't give money for people with children, because it's their choice to have children. Of course, let the children become ill and disadvantaged, so you can pay a little less tax...

Sorry, these comments get me mad lol.

The beginning of the article was actually pretty factual for Daily Mail though, but I can imagine how they meant it and I also imagine they thought it was less of an interesting note about demographics and more of a major news story.
What a pointless straw-man argument linking a statistic to migration. This article is meaningless as a barometer for migration - it doesn't take into account whether these babies are the first in their family to be born in Britain, which would be a much smaller number.
Reply 67
reems23
The notion that there ever was a british culture to preserve, value and sanctify is a silly one. Romanticism and nostalgia has taken hold and multiculturalism has become a scapegoat for people looking for something their god awful problems on.

For some reason foreigners think I'm telling them a pack of lies when I explain the state of British culture in Britain. They think the idea of Britain being multi-cultural is rediculous.

I suppose the idea of men in top-hats riding around in red, double-decker buses with posh accents doesn't sit well with the idea of multi-culturalism in most cases.

Ironically, I think many foreigners move to Britain because they think there aren't many other foreigners here, immigrants themselves often aren't aware of the level of multi-culturalism.
vander Beth
Let's be honest, who prefers to read the comments?

:five:

Best bits of the Daily Mail. :rofl:
reems23
The notion that there ever was a british culture to preserve, value and sanctify is a silly one. Romanticism and nostalgia has taken hold and multiculturalism has become a scapegoat for people looking for something to blame their god awful problems on.

You don't think our country has a culture? :s-smilie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_Kingdom
Time Tourist
Is this a hobby now for people? Looking at the Daily Mail and going "ZOMG RACISSSST NAZIII FASCISTS ZOMG they are saying in some places 1 in 10 mothers are white!!!!!!"

Where's the racism? And what do you actually mean when you say this article is 'racist'? Racist seems to be true of just about anything lefties want it to be true of these days...

So is the idea that it is racist to say that in some places only 1 in 10 mothers are "white British" or that it is not true that in some places only 1 in 10 mothers are "white British"?

What about the exact same story which had a full page in the Sunday Times yesterday - is that racist too? "Birth rates reveal ethnic fault lines"....

I read the dailymail mainly for the comments. This is the first time I used a dailymail article. Yes, this article is racist.

It suggests, that you have to be white (Caucasian) to be British. It seems to highlight areas that have a high "non-white" population to scare monger. It also suggests there is something wrong with being mixed race.

It has nothing to do with being left wing. I am more or less neutral when it is comes to the political spectrum. I voted for the tory part which happens to be right wing though mainly because I agreed with some of their policies.
reems23
The notion that there ever was a british culture to preserve, value and sanctify is a silly one. Romanticism and nostalgia has taken hold and multiculturalism has become a scapegoat for people looking for something their god awful problems on.

And where did you get that profound revelation from then? I suppose there might not be a British culture to preserve, but there might be an English culture or a Scottish culture or a Welsh culture....still more a working class English culture or an upper class English culture or a ways that are particular to Cornwall or ways that are particular to Yorkshire...

Out of curiosity... is it also true that, for example, the notion that people of Pakistani origin or Indian origin living in Britain have a culture to preserve, is equally silly?
'Only to be expected, with blairs open door policy and brown´s , do not know what to do policy this is the end result and now we have wet lib dems wanting to continue allowing everyone in, cameron needs to get a grip now, if he wants to show us and the world he is a real prime minister and in charge, he must stop immigration now, not tomorrow, next week, now, we do not need medics from india we need home grown medics, who are there waiting to be trained and employed.'- Ex Pat, Spain, 09/8/2010 08:22

Fail.
When did discussing pertinent demographic trends become "racist"? When did the concept of "racism" become so all-encompassing that it can be tagged onto any discussion of race or ethnicity?
Reply 74
Jonty99
You don't think our country has a culture? :s-smilie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_Kingdom

None of this talks about culture in the way the Daily Mail or the forrener haters talk about 'Being British'.
reems23
None of this talks about culture in the way the Daily Mail or the forrener haters talk about 'Being British'.

Yeah perhaps not, but you did say the notion there has ever been a British culture is a silly one, so I just didn't think that was really true.
"Well I can tell you how I feel about this. As a white English person, I AM an alien in my own country AND it's going to get a hell of a lot worse. "

I, as a British Indian, am not disgusted by such comments; they are somewhat derogatory, but I agree immigration needs to be restricted heavily and now.
Well, I think it's even bad by Daily Mail standards that the comment with the highest rating was:

Is the reason there are no comments on this story is because you would be classed as a racist if you dared say that its about time the government changed its migration policy? I think so!

Whilst the worst rated was:

So what?

Tbh, I agree with the latter comment. There are a few areas that have a high percentage of immigrants. Big ******* whoop.
Reply 78
Time Tourist
And where did you get that profound revelation from then? I suppose there might not be a British culture to preserve, but there might be an English culture or a Scottish culture or a Welsh culture....still more a working class English culture or an upper class English culture or a ways that are particular to Cornwall or ways that are particular to Yorkshire...

Out of curiosity... is it also true that, for example, the notion that people of Pakistani origin or Indian origin living in Britain have a culture to preserve, equally silly?

Cultures have always been changing, evolving and absorbing new ideas and flavours. To suggest it's stagnant as you are (with the word preserve) and not at all changing is blind to the truth that English culture has been continuously evolving and there is **** all you can do about it.

(and yes, over the years foreign culture will slowly merge with the then prehistoric notion of english culture and something new will emerge that will be acceptable to all)
kpwxx
Also, someone in the comments is going on about how we shouldn't give money for people with children, because it's their choice to have children. Of course, let the children become ill and disadvantaged, so you can pay a little less tax...

:lolwut:

What's wrong with that?

I agree, if you have children, you shouldn't get money from the taxpayer - end of.

It's your responsibility to financially take care of the child.

Imo, child benefit is a scam.

Latest

Trending

Trending