The Student Room Group

Midwifery volunteer work

I am planning on applying to uni this September studying midwifery but want to get some volunteer work/ work experience before I apply. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what volunteer work I could do
Original post by Evielees17
I am planning on applying to uni this September studying midwifery but want to get some volunteer work/ work experience before I apply. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what volunteer work I could do

Hi! I got in touch with my local GP practice and they offered for me to come in and volunteer at their baby clinic for two weeks!! I got lucky with this though as I am friends with the nurse who ran baby clinic! However, look into your local mum and baby groups, breastfeeding classes etc as you can normally volunteer there without prior experience or sit in and observe it shows you have worked in the community with maternity service users and have seeked out experience! Hope this helps!!
Reply 2

Contact your local maternity unit and ask if they have any opportunity for you to do some volunteering work over the coming months as some hospital do that.
Apart from that one you can do what the person said in reply 1 to you and see how you get on.

Another option for you instead of volunteering work why not perhaps apply for a HCA ( healthcare assistant) job working on the maternity wards at your local maternity unit as HCA does a lot of valuable work on the maternity wards looking after the new mothers and babies until they are able to go home.

Good luck with everything when you start in September if you are successful with your application. Although experience isn't necessary required, its useful to have some kind of healthcare experience if possible as it prepare you for what you will face.

NHS registered midwife
Reply 3

I’m a first year midwifery student and I did a 3-week mooc ( massive online open course) on midwifery and you can mention it in your interviews

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending