The Student Room Group

Crash Higher Geography?

I'm thinking of possibly crashing Higher Geography. I picked Modern Studies at standard grade and during fifth year, hence not knowing a thing about Geography. I'm not particularly good at countries.

It would be very helpful if someone could tell me what I'm getting myself into before I officially choose it. Maybe a course overview? What things I'd need to know?

Much thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Overview of Higher Geography:
tl;dr - Crash-able, no prior knowledge needed.

The course is split into two papers:

Paper 1 - Physical and Human Environments - 6 questions (4 compulsory, you get to pick another 2) - 100 marks

Physical Topics

Atmosphere

Hydrosphere

Lithosphere

Biosphere

Human Topics

Population

Rural

Industrial

Urban

Paper 2 - Environmental Interaction - 2 questions - 100 marks - This is about what humans do to the land and what social, economic and environmental effects it causes.

Rural Land Degradation

Rural Land Resources

River Basin Management

Urban Change and Management

European Regional Inequalities

Development and Health

Experience in reading a map and using 6 figure grid references is useful but not necessary as you will be probably taught this.

edit: Try using the search function, it's boring answering the same question every other day.
Thank you so much. Helped alot. Guess that means I'm taking it. :smile: Lord help me!
Reply 3
Bored Individual.
Guess that means I'm taking it. Lord help me!

Geography isn't about knowing about countries, or knowing where they are on map or the flag/capitals of countries etc.

The Higher course consists of three units:

Physical
Human
Environmental Interactions

It's perfectly crash-able subject but missing the SG stuff probably means you have more information to learn than everyone else. In the main exam you'll have a lot to write, it's split into two papers: Paper One covering the physical and human topics (1 hour 30 mins) and Paper Two which covers two environmental interactions topics you'll have studied (1 hour 15 mins). Go look for the Higher Geography past papers on the SQA website, that should give you an idea of what the exam/course is like.

Similar thread to yours: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1360808

You need to know absolutely nothing, geographical knowledge is not required and you learn everything during the course. It's slightly harder than higher modern since you need to know more information, other than that it's piss easy.

I done the course in 6 months, got an A. Just memorise notes and go and pass basically.

Tell this to the people who got Ds in the exam/prelim. OP, bear in mind it's TSR and people find different things more difficult than others.
Reply 4
ENNGUF

Tell this to the people who got Ds in the exam/prelim. OP, bear in mind it's TSR and people find different things more difficult than others.

Fair point mate, some find it easier and harder than others.
Reply 5
Delaney
Fair point mate, some find it easier and harder than others.

And since you're taking AH Geography I would've hope you found it easy. :five:
Bored Individual.
I'm thinking of possibly crashing Higher Geography. I picked Modern Studies at standard grade and during fifth year, hence not knowing a thing about Geography. I'm not particularly good at countries.

It would be very helpful if someone could tell me what I'm getting myself into before I officially choose it. Maybe a course overview? What things I'd need to know?

Much thanks. :smile:

If you have an iota of common sense then geog is easy :smile:

Go for it.
ENNGUF
Geography isn't about knowing about countries, or knowing where they are on map or the flag/capitals of countries etc.

The Higher course consists of three units:

Physical
Human
Environmental Interactions

It's perfectly crash-able subject but missing the SG stuff probably means you have more information to learn than everyone else. In the main exam you'll have a lot to write, it's split into two papers: Paper One covering the physical and human topics (1 hour 30 mins) and Paper Two which covers two environmental interactions topics you'll have studied (1 hour 15 mins). Go look for the Higher Geography past papers on the SQA website, that should give you an idea of what the exam/course is like.

Similar thread to yours: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1360808

Yes. Some people are idiots.
Reply 8
I'm crashing this year, too :smile:. I've done Biology and History before and enjoyed them, but I really love Geography so far.

Latest

Trending

Trending