The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Beggars are liars
Reply 21
Three of the homeless men who my grandfather used to give money to turned up at his funeral last year.
Reply 22
A lot of charities for the homeless tell you not to give money. By all means offer food and drink, but never cash because it will most likely be spent on booze or drugs.

I did give a dollar to a homeless guy in America though, he was hilarious and apparently desperate for some McDonalds fries.
Reply 23
LOL, yeah because anyone with a decent job is going to want to make 20 more quid by sitting outside in the cold and rain? If you arent going to give homeless people money then dont, but dont try and make up some stupid excuse ("They'll spend it on drugs etc") to try and deflect your lack of sympathy and altruism.

Maybe I am just a big pussy, but I spend a lot on beggers, especially when I am drunk. That could just as easily be any of us out on the street.
Reply 24
I don't give money to beggars as I'd rather give my money to registered charities.
It depends. Homeless people or those playing an instrument I'll give a few quid to because they're probably better off with that couple of quid than I am. Yet I hate liars. Like those scrotes that will wander the bus station telling people some crazy made up story for 80p bus fare. I work in my town centre late at night and noticed one homeless guy going to every drunk person telling them some story about his misses had chucked him and his dog out the night before, took all his stuff and all his family are dead so all he needs is a couple of quid to get something to eat blah blah blah till he makes up with her. He told the same story for 2 months turns out he's a druggy and doesn't give a ****. I also think homeless people are a bit selfish to be looking after a pet when they "can't even feed themselves".
conkerina
Three of the homeless men who my grandfather used to give money to turned up at his funeral last year.

Wow that pulled a heart string. :'(
Used to.
But i saw a Big Issue guy try and steal an old mans shopping once, it was not nice to watch, thankfully police intervened :smile:
Plus a few months ago a BI seller followed me around town, i kept saying i had no change at all, so i eventually took my purse out to show her, and i actually had 30p, she put her hand in and took it, gave me a magazine then ran away. I was quite shocked.
I only give my change out to beggars who are displaying some kind of effort and/or talent, such as buskers or bums creatively begging.

It's no poetry writing viennese bum from before sunset but still deserving of my change.
Reply 29
bunty64
Do you give money to beggars on the street?

Have just read a DM article (I know!) which says that some beggars are office workers who supplement their income by playing the role of a homeless person (if that is true I am amazed!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1303310/Beggars-pretending-homeless-raking-20-000-year.html

Over the past few months I've noticed I've become more aware of homeless people and have been giving loose change to "homeless" or sometimes buy them something from the shop (if they're sitting outside).
I even slipped a big issue seller £30 (pisssing down and she looked crazy old)....

Anyway, what is your view ?

Personally, I don't give money to beggars. I give money to charities and stuff, I just don't see why people need to beg. There are housing associations, unemployment benefits, all sorts of things that someone could do, so there isn't a need for homelessness. Yes, I do feel bad for them. They also make me really uncomfortable though. :unsure:

If someone's playing an instrument though or something, I'll give them some loose change sometimes.
Reply 30
chemical_bex
Used to.
But i saw a Big Issue guy try and steal an old mans shopping once, it was not nice to watch, thankfully police intervened :smile:
Plus a few months ago a BI seller followed me around town, i kept saying i had no change at all, so i eventually took my purse out to show her, and i actually had 30p, she put her hand in and took it, gave me a magazine then ran away. I was quite shocked.

That's awful! :eek: I've always been scared that if I open my purse in front of beggars or even get it out, they'll grab it and run away. I'd never heard of it happening to anyone though!

Latest

Trending

Trending