The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
chaz1992
Physics has a mechanics side and a theory side imo. The mechanics side is the SUVAT equations and the trig involved. This is what's needed for M1. You also do vectors, moments and modelling an object in a certain scenario.

My friend does bio, chem, french, physics, maths and further maths and he copes fine, although it does depend on how confident you are with German. I see you're not doing maths. If you dropped maths because you didn't enjoy it then I would say not to do further maths.

I did my maths a-level this year (i'm in AS) so didn't mention it when talking about my A2 year. I did well in the maths AS but i'll know I have to resit c4 to get that A*. .
btw, when you say modelling, does that mean lots of diagrams? I'm known for being a lazy arse who hates diagrams and anything that has to be drawn in great detail :P and just a messy mathematician in general. .
Reply 21
lilrog
Some people will never be able to do A levels
Some do 5-6 and self teach part of it, some do them in year 11.

Most other 16-18 year olds fall somewhere in the middle. As soon as you use the words "Could I?" and "How hard?" you will just get anecdotal accounts based on peoples perceptions and experiences. This is not though anything to do with your ability to learn especially when you have not indicated your current level of attainment, your strategy to excecute your study and so on.

I laugh when people say "Its all hard" or "Thats simple" as it really is determined by your ability, support, time and work ethic

Current level of attainment: hopefully A in maths a2 (shall find out how much my f*cked up c4 cost me tmw :s-smilie:) and errm am generally getting decent grades in my other subjects. . like all a's in modules?
strategy to execute my study: i work hard enough I guess. I don't sit at home and do nothing else, but so far I've been able to balance work with the rest of my life. . but i remember last year I had to spend a hell of a lot of time on maths, and am wondering if this is just gonna get worse, even though this year i'm only doing an AS instead of a whole A level.

in your opinion, what's harder. A whole Maths A level in 1 year, or a further maths AS in 1 year? Should I go for it?
My two cents: I've done maths, further maths and two extra modules on OCR MEI. I've taken C1-4, S1-3, M1-3, D1-2, FP1-2.

My main suggestion is don't take extra modules, by having that much workload I am now convinced I have not got the two A-grades I deserved.
Anon1993
in your opinion, what's harder. A whole Maths A level in 1 year, or a further maths AS in 1 year? Should I go for it?

Further maths AS was the easiest subject I have ever done - although I do find the FP modules easier than the C modules.
Reply 24
charlotte-rose
My two cents: I've done maths, further maths and two extra modules on OCR MEI. I've taken C1-4, S1-3, M1-3, D1-2, FP1-2.

My main suggestion is don't take extra modules, by having that much workload I am now convinced I have not got the two A-grades I deserved.

I have to ask. . why in the hell did you decide to randomly take two extra modules? :O you've done sooo many, it's scary! What's the benefit?
I'm not a GCSE student, but I'm hopefully going to study Further Maths to at least AS in my A2 year. :smile:
Reply 26
charlotte-rose
Further maths AS was the easiest subject I have ever done - although I do find the FP modules easier than the C modules.

I'd only have to do FP1 as well. . but i'm more wired about M1. I haven't heard anyone say that it's not hard. .
Reply 27
Anyone thinking of doing Further maths AS, if you want an easy ride do these six modules:

C1, C2, FP1, D1, S1 and M1 -----> These modules garuntee you an easy ride through your AS year!

Howevr if you're actually interested in learning interesting concepts in maths, do these:

C1, C2, FP1, M1, M2, S1
I also fall within the group picking it up in year 13. Trouble is, i haven't dropped anything, so i'll be teaching myself, goodbye free time.. :P
I'm planning too. But recently I'm considering dropping it because in total, I would be doing 6 AS (although one in gen studies), which includes art (which apparently has an INSANE workload). :/
Reply 30
M1 is quite easy if you concentrate on harder questions. I got 97UMS for it. When I say modelling, I mean it will give you a diagram and so the particle p is held in equilibrium on the ramp 30 degrees to the horizontal. It is held by a force X which is applied parrallel to the base of the ramp. The particle has a mass of 2kg and the coefficient of friction on the surface is 0.5. Calculate the force X.
Anon1993
I'd only have to do FP1 as well. . but i'm more wired about M1. I haven't heard anyone say that it's not hard. .

:\ To be honest M1 is so easy if you understand physics. It took me about 3 months to grasp it, but once I did I was laughing.

Anon1993
I have to ask. . why in the hell did you decide to randomly take two extra modules? :O you've done sooo many, it's scary! What's the benefit?

I was hoping to get Additional Further Maths to impress universities (I only got 4 A*s at GCSE), and I realised the C4 and FP3 exams were at the same time - so I didn't do FP3.
Reply 32
charlotte-rose
:\ To be honest M1 is so easy if you understand physics.

I may well be scuppered. I hated physics, it bored me to tears. I spent most of my lessons seeing how far I could flick a rubber across a classroom with one of those one meter rulers. . Mind you, I some how managed an A* in it, but i'm pretty certain that further maths mechanics will be a lot harder than gcse physics. .

Thanks for you help everyone :smile:
Reply 33
chaz1992
M1 is quite easy if you concentrate on harder questions. I got 97UMS for it. When I say modelling, I mean it will give you a diagram and so the particle p is held in equilibrium on the ramp 30 degrees to the horizontal. It is held by a force X which is applied parrallel to the base of the ramp. The particle has a mass of 2kg and the coefficient of friction on the surface is 0.5. Calculate the force X.

:confused: i'm hoping you didn't expect me to understand any of that last bit. .
Anon1993
I may well be scuppered. I hated physics, it bored me to tears. I spent most of my lessons seeing how far I could flick a rubber across a classroom with one of those one meter rulers. . Mind you, I some how managed an A* in it, but i'm pretty certain that further maths mechanics will be a lot harder than gcse physics. .

Thanks for you help everyone :smile:

Yeah I got 96% at GCSE physics and two D's the first two times I took M1 :p:
Reply 35
Anon1993
:confused: i'm hoping you didn't expect me to understand any of that last bit. .

No I don't expect anyone who hasn't done M1 to understand it. I'm just saying those are the type of questions that I mean when I say modelling. A simple diagram for the question:

Put that above the text and that's a typical question. Modelling, when I use it, means finding that force X.
romeoandjuliet: I did Maths, F Maths, Physics, IT and Economics. I also took on Music Tech for an hour a week, but soon gave that up.
Reply 37
chaz1992
I'm currently an A level student doing further maths and am just interested to see which current GCSE pupils will be doing further maths at A level. If there is anyone who has questions about further maths post here as I've received a few PMs.

If anyone doesn't know, maths at A Level is much more relavent to real world scenarios.

Hi :smile: i recently started sixth form doing history, classics, maths and chemistry, but i'm considering doing further maths instead of one of them, most likely chemistry. I got A* at gcse and an A* in additional maths gcse. I really enjoy the subject, but i'm not sure if i need it in the future, so it seems a bit pointless to just take it for the sake of it. I have no clue what i want to do in the future. So i'd end up taking maths, futher maths, history and classics. Is this a really weird combination? I'm open to any suggestions of what i could do in future with these aswell? Thanks :smile:
Reply 38
moleman3
Hi :smile: i recently started sixth form doing history, classics, maths and chemistry, but i'm considering doing further maths instead of one of them, most likely chemistry. I got A* at gcse and an A* in additional maths gcse. I really enjoy the subject, but i'm not sure if i need it in the future, so it seems a bit pointless to just take it for the sake of it. I have no clue what i want to do in the future. So i'd end up taking maths, futher maths, history and classics. Is this a really weird combination? I'm open to any suggestions of what i could do in future with these aswell? Thanks :smile:

id take further maths if you plan on doing economics, maths, physics or engineering related courses at uni. If you're still undecided, then Chemistry could be a better option. The work load is more for further maths but the work is not as dull as chemistry in my opinion. Both are equally difficult.
Reply 39
I did maths and further maths for a-level. the good thing with the board i did is that you can kind of mix it about a bit to get the best possible grades in each. the first time i took M1, i got 60% even though i also did physics. for my retake, i got 94%. the second time round i knew what i was doing but i wouldnt say that the physics even helped! My C4 stopped me getting an A* in Maths- I need an A, but after 2 retakes, all I can manage is a B.

Latest

Trending

Trending