The Student Room Group

Further Maths

Is further maths gcse worth it? So far gcse maths isn't that hard, so should I consider doing it? Also if anyone has done it, what does it consist of and if there are any useful websites I can revise further maths from. I know it's statistics but that's all I know of.
Original post by plumcake
Is further maths gcse worth it? So far gcse maths isn't that hard, so should I consider doing it? Also if anyone has done it, what does it consist of and if there are any useful websites I can revise further maths from. I know it's statistics but that's all I know of.

If you mean the AQA Level 2 certificate, it’s really just the grade 8/9 end of GCSE with a few extension topics (matrices, differentiation of simple functions, circles with centres that are not about the origin iirc).

Sure it’s a little bit of extra practice with algebra and if you want to give it a go because you enjoy maths, then by all means do it.

Just bear in mind that matrices are only worth learning if you plan on doing A level further maths, so not all the material covered will benefit you if you plan to take A level maths but not FM.

As for websites, check out Barton Maths
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
If you mean the AQA Level 2 certificate, it’s really just the grade 8/9 end of GCSE with a few extension topics (matrices, differentiation of simple functions, circles with centres that are not about the origin iirc).

Sure it’s a little bit of extra practice with algebra and if you want to give it a go because you enjoy maths, then by all means do it.

Just bear in mind that matrices are only worth learning if you plan on doing A level further maths, so not all the material covered will benefit you if you plan to take A level maths but not FM.

As for websites, check out Barton Maths

ahh tysm!
Reply 3

I'm a Maths teacher and teach in a selective school.We don't offer it because it is of no benefit. It's far better to aim for grade 9s in all your subjects.

The contents of this course do not put you in a better place for A level, some topics aren't even in A level.

I know savemyexams has a further maths aqa section. Further maths at gcse does cover as level maths topics, so it can introduce you to it if you want to take a level maths.
Original post by Muttley79
I'm a Maths teacher and teach in a selective school.We don't offer it because it is of no benefit. It's far better to aim for grade 9s in all your subjects.

The contents of this course do not put you in a better place for A level, some topics aren't even in A level.

If the original poster is at a state school and receives less opportunities (and therefore enjoys academic subjects less), surely further maths couldn't hurt if it's also in their interests?
Reply 6
Original post by Grammy Norma
If the original poster is at a state school and receives less opportunities (and therefore enjoys academic subjects less), surely further maths couldn't hurt if it's also in their interests?

Quality of grades not quantity .... better to get grade 9s than level 2 FMaths
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Quality of grades not quantity .... better to get grade 9s than level 2 FMaths

I suppose, perhaps if you're predicted full marks in your maths GCSE it might be worth it.
Reply 8
Original post by Grammy Norma
I suppose, perhaps if you're predicted full marks in your maths GCSE it might be worth it.

No ... our GCSE and A level results show its not needed. If you are bored iin Maths then talk to your teacher about enrichment work.

Quick Reply

Latest