The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
two A*s :u:
Reply 2
Does anyone know if you can get an A* in Further Maths and not get one in Maths? e.g. if you didn't get above 90 UMS in either of C3 or C4 but you get 90+UMS for all other modules
partycooper
Does anyone know if you can get an A* in Further Maths and not get one in Maths? e.g. if you didn't get above 90 UMS in either of C3 or C4 but you get 90+UMS for all other modules

Yes you can, they are separate qualifications. It is not that unlikely, since you can get the Further Maths A* using your applied modules, whereas the Maths A* has to come from Pure.
Reply 4
tiny hobbit
Yes you can, they are separate qualifications. It is not that unlikely, since you can get the Further Maths A* using your applied modules, whereas the Maths A* has to come from Pure.

Ahhh ok thanks very much. I got my AS results today. Pleased to say I got 4 As and for Further, i got 88 and 96 UMS for S2 and D2 respectively - Do you know if that means I can use them towards a potential A* next year?
Reply 5
I'm regretting not taking Further Maths. :|
Reply 6
I have 496/500 from 5 modules with C3 and C4 at 100 each.....I'm i already secured with an A* even though I have not done 6th paper yet???
cazzy-joe
I have 496/500 from 5 modules with C3 and C4 at 100 each.....I'm i already secured with an A* even though I have not done 6th paper yet???

Yes you can get zero on the 6th paper and still obtain A*.
partycooper
Ahhh ok thanks very much. I got my AS results today. Pleased to say I got 4 As and for Further, i got 88 and 96 UMS for S2 and D2 respectively - Do you know if that means I can use them towards a potential A* next year?

Yes you can. The modules that you take over the two years will be arranged by the exam board to give you the best possible grades.
I can imagine the amount of A*'s may drop a bit when the new specification is released - since the applied part will let a few people down. To be honest, as it is an average of 90 in C3 & C4 is hardly a challenge for someone with a flare for the subject
partycooper

Probably but it will depend on module marks from modules you are yet to take.
milliondollarcorpse
I can imagine the amount of A*'s may drop a bit when the new specification is released - since the applied part will let a few people down. To be honest, as it is an average of 90 in C3 & C4 is hardly a challenge for someone with a flare for the subject

What new specification? There isn't one.
Mr M
What new specification? There isn't one.

Huh? Isn't there a new specification coming out for maths in the next few years with compulsory applied units?

...Or am I completely making this up?
milliondollarcorpse
Huh? Isn't there a new specification coming out for maths in the next few years with compulsory applied units?

...Or am I completely making this up?

There was a proposal for a new spec but it was binned by the coalition Government.
partycooper

I got 88 in S2 last year :shakehand: and it got used towards my A* in further maths this year (along with FP2 and FP3).
cazzy-joe

No. To be awarded an A* you need to first meet the conditions for grade A, which, in your case means completing 6 modules.
Interesting numbers, i'm sure somebody will latch onto these to suggest maths and further maths are easy subjects. But ~30% of FM candidates getting A*, compared to ~8% of all Alevels being awarded as A* is a significant disparity, i'm sure it won't be too long before we see threads like: "OMG FURTHER MATHS EASY A* THIS IS SO UNFAIR"
Reply 17
MathsHamster
I got 88 in S2

high five, me too
Mr M
Yes you can get zero on the 6th paper and still obtain A*.

Wowww reallyyy... I dint know that..:biggrin: :biggrin:

and one more thing...suppose I take up 12 units in total (normal maths + FM maths)...at the end can i tell them to combine units in such a way that i get A* in both(if i'm capable of)....
or they will combine on their own wish..
Reply 19
Paper was leaked thats why high percentage of A*

Latest

Trending

Trending