The Student Room Group

Transferring universities as a second year

Hey guys, I'm a second year at the University of Sussex and was wondering about transferring to Southampton University for the second semester and final year as I am utterly miserable here. Is there any way this would be possible? Any guidance or stories to help out? I know my chances are slim but I figured since it's early in the academic year there might be an opportunity. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Original post by kukklers
Hey guys, I'm a second year at the University of Sussex and was wondering about transferring to Southampton University for the second semester and final year as I am utterly miserable here. Is there any way this would be possible? Any guidance or stories to help out? I know my chances are slim but I figured since it's early in the academic year there might be an opportunity. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Midyear transfers are basically impossible, (unless you do it very close to the start of the course). Joining second year may be possible depending on the incoming uni's policy. The general process is detailed in the Transfer FAQ.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Midyear transfers are basically impossible, (unless you do it very close to the start of the course). Joining second year may be possible depending on the incoming uni's policy. The general process is detailed in the Transfer FAQ.

I see. So long story short, I shouldn't keep my hopes up? Shame. Thank you very much for the help!
Southampton do take around 80-100 transfers into year 2 every year but there's no guarantees (and they're certainly not going to happen mid-year)

What course is it that you want to transfer to?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Southampton do take around 80-100 transfers into year 2 every year but there's no guarantees (and they're certainly not going to happen mid-year)

What course is it that you want to transfer to?

Finance and Financial Technology, I applied to Southampton initially but didn't get in due to a lack of a mathematics A level, however I did fintech in Sussex and did great in my first year, gaining first class honours. I was hoping this achievement could help prove that I am fit academically to study there!
Finance and Financial Technology, I applied to Southampton initially but didn't get in due to a lack of a mathematics A level, however I did fintech in Sussex and did great in my first year, gaining first class honours. I was hoping this achievement could help prove that I am fit academically to study there!

If you dont meet the A level requirements it is highly unlikely you will be accepted for a transfer. The only thing you can do is contact Southampton and ask,

as above if you don't meet the entry requirements for yr 1 then a transfer across isn't likely

However they might be willing to take into account your yr 1 and yr 2 modules at Sussex for entry into yr 2 without the strict requirements.

Talk to them and see what they say - completing yr 2 at Sussex will maximise your chances of transferring into yr 2 at soton (yr 3 transfers don't happen at soton except for medicine) - you'll have a greater number of modules and credits for matching against the yr 1 modules at soton and might have modules/learning outcomes that demonstrate the equivalent to maths A level for the purposes of the course.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
as above if you don't meet the entry requirements for yr 1 then a transfer across isn't likely

However they might be willing to take into account your yr 1 and yr 2 modules at Sussex for entry into yr 2 without the strict requirements.

Talk to them and see what they say - completing yr 2 at Sussex will maximise your chances of transferring into yr 2 at soton (yr 3 transfers don't happen at soton except for medicine) - you'll have a greater number of modules and credits for matching against the yr 1 modules at soton and might have modules/learning outcomes that demonstrate the equivalent to maths A level for the purposes of the course.

Greatly appreciate the information. I did do a mathematical module in my first year so that might help me get over the tipping point. I'll research my options and consider whether transferring to 2nd year there would be a good idea. Again, greatly appreciate the support guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending