The Student Room Group

Biology Or History! Horrible Dilemma :(

Well here goes. Im going into College this year. I want to take Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology/History.

My Question is this: Which would be better?

I am planning to go into either a branch of engineering or medicine although currently I am feeling more inclined towards engineering. I feel that history would benefit me more overall as it would improve my essay skills and adds a bit of variety to my choice. However if I did change my mind within the 2 years at college and decided to go for medicine... would I be screwed?
You would definitely need Biology if you want to go into medicine :smile:
Biology for sure. Especially for engineering/medicine, just my two cents but I also thought biology was a lot easier than history at AS (I took both).
shahedul
Well here goes. Im going into College this year. I want to take Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology/History.

My Question is this: Which would be better?

I am planning to go into either a branch of engineering or medicine although currently I am feeling more inclined towards engineering. I feel that history would benefit me more overall as it would improve my essay skills and adds a bit of variety to my choice. However if I did change my mind within the 2 years at college and decided to go for medicine... would I be screwed?

This is seriously a No Brainer. Obviously Biology.

If you like medicine, then you probably should have a vague interest in Biology anyhow. If you love History, you can always access the resources by reading =) (also Bio is IMO the easier science)
I do have an interest in biology but even more so in History

How about this.

If i weren't considering Medicine and it was definately constrained to engineering solely then would biology or history be better?
shahedul

How about this.

If i weren't considering Medicine and it was definitely constrained to engineering solely then would biology or history be better?

I'd say History but only because Biology isn't absolutely essential and it gives you more variety. But that doesn't really help you because you are considering Medicine :lol:
shahedul

How about this.

If i weren't considering Medicine and it was definitely constrained to engineering solely then would biology or history be better?

I would still say biology, merely because you have expressed that you may change your mind and want to study medicine later on - believe me you don't want the regret of having chosen the wrong subjects if this does happen.
SilverDoe21
I'd say History but only because Biology isn't absolutely essential and it gives you more variety. But that doesn't really help you because you are considering Medicine :lol:

Dam i'm screwed because it's true, I just feel maths chemistry biology and physics is a bit, typical...
shahedul
Dam i'm screwed because it's true, I just feel maths chemistry biology and physics is a bit, typical...

Physics isn't absolutely necessary for Medicine either; you could always swap that for History? It all depends on how much you want to do History :o:
SilverDoe21
Physics isn't absolutely necessary for Medicine either; you could always swap that for History? It all depends on how much you want to do History :o:

But then if I wanted to do Engineering mechanical or aeronautics wouldn't I be screwed?
Reply 10
To be honest you don't actually need biology for medicine. Last time I checked the only required Chemistry and another science, which can either be Maths of Physics. Also, some universities are starting to state that they want applicants for medicine not to have all three sciences and maths. King's in London is an example of this. I think you have a passion for history you should do that. It doesn't put you at a disadvantage later on. If anything you'll stick out like a sore thumb when applying for either course because you won't be the 'typical' student.
norg
To be honest you don't actually need biology for medicine. Last time I checked the only required Chemistry and another science, which can either be Maths of Physics. Also, some universities are starting to state that they want applicants for medicine not to have all three sciences and maths. King's in London is an example of this. I think you have a passion for history you should do that. It doesn't put you at a disadvantage later on. If anything you'll stick out like a sore thumb when applying for either course because you won't be the 'typical' student.

Thats ideally what i'd like to hear, but from several people :frown:
Reply 12
shahedul
Thats ideally what i'd like to hear, but from several people :frown:

If you're that unsure ask in the sub forums for medicine and engineering. You'll probably get a better informed and quicker response. To be honest with you, first year of medicine is very simple as they teach you the basics some of which would have been covered in A-level biology. I applied for medicine initially with Bio, Chem, and Eng Lit before deciding it wasn't what I wanted to do at all.
shahedul
But then if I wanted to do Engineering mechanical or aeronautics wouldn't I be screwed?

Ahh good point, I didn't think of that. You could always take History on top of the others, but that would be a lot of work. Otherwise you might have to decide if you want to go into Medicine or Engineering, bearing in mind you have to be very dedicated for Medicine particularly.
Well thanks for the contributions guys, up up and away!.... to the science and engineering section....

Latest