The Student Room Group

A- level options

Hi everyone, I have recently started year 12 and need some help with my options. I definitely would like to study Biology and Chemistry for my A-levels but I am struggling to pick my third option. For university, I would like to study a course like pharmacy or something in the same field. The entry requirements for my desired university (Aston) are Biology, Chemistry and another subject with grades of ABB or BBB (for contextual offer). I am struggling with deciding what to choose as my third A-level option. I was really passionate in doing business which my school and most others have restricted me in doing so due to option block restrictions. The two other options I have been considering are History (EDEXCEL) or Psychology (AQA). I have never studied Psychology before but I have studied History for GCSE and got a grade 7. For my third option I want to do the easiest A-level of the two although saying this, I am aware that all A-levels are hard and content heavy but since I am already doing Biology and Chemistry, I want to do something not as content heavy and time consuming. I would really appreciate any advice as to which A-level to choose out of Psychology or History. Thank you very much!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by student643
Hi everyone, I have recently started year 12 and need some help with my options. I definitely would like to study Biology and Chemistry for my A-levels but I am struggling to pick my third option. For university, I would like to study a course like pharmacy or something in the same field. The entry requirements for my desired university (Aston) are Biology, Chemistry and another subject with grades of ABB or BBB (for contextual offer). I am struggling with deciding what to choose as my third A-level option. I was really passionate in doing business which my school and most others have restricted me in doing so due to option block restrictions. The two other options I have been considering are History (EDEXCEL) or Psychology (AQA). I have never studied Psychology before but I have studied History for GCSE and got a grade 7. For my third option I want to do the easiest A-level of the two although saying this, I am aware that all A-levels are hard and content heavy but since I am already doing Biology and Chemistry, I want to do something easier. I would really appreciate any advice as to which A-level to choose out of Psychology or History. Thank you very much!

There is no right answer to this, unfortunately, given that your goal is "to do the easiest A-level of the two". There is no such thing. What you might find easy, someone else might find difficult.

History is clearly very essay-heavy, whilst Psychology is more of a blend between science-based and essay-based questions. You're clearly comfortable with sciences, and you're also clearly happy with History (given your grade 7 at GCSE). So it's not clear which you might find easier.

Which do you think you might enjoy more?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
There is no right answer to this, unfortunately, given that your goal is "to do the easiest A-level of the two". There is no such thing. What you might find easy, someone else might find difficult.

History is clearly very essay-heavy, whilst Psychology is more of a blend between science-based and essay-based questions. You're clearly comfortable with sciences, and you're also clearly happy with History (given your grade 7 at GCSE). So it's not clear which you might find easier.

Which do you think you might enjoy more?

Thank you very much for your reply. I have never had psychology before so I am not aware of what it is like but according to many students studying it in my school, they are saying that the teachers are terrible and it is quite confusing. I think I would enjoy history more because of the topics we are studying (Russia and England) it seems very interesting but at the same time I wouldn't want to study history because I think studying three of the most content heavy subjects may become challenging.
history is very content heavy but so is psychology. personally i studied psych with a horrible teacher, so i mostly self studied everything and didnt attend her classes (ended up being the only one who got an A lol cus she kept feeding wrong info to the students and never went with the spec) so honestly, if ur willing to put the work in it and self study, psych may be an easier option if your memory isnt great with dates and names, as altho its got memory, its also got some maths and application. i suggest first you go to both psych and history trs to se if they give good support or not to get an idea + check the specs and see how many papers there are, content etc
hope this helps!
Reply 4
I do bio, chem and history and just started Y13 and I'll say there is a lot of essay writing in history but I've found that for AQA at least it's not too much of a step up from GCSE. There can be a lot of content but psych also has a lot of content and so a lot of it comes down to how interested you are in the courses, I personally love mine!
Reply 5
Original post by psychstudent2625
history is very content heavy but so is psychology. personally i studied psych with a horrible teacher, so i mostly self studied everything and didnt attend her classes (ended up being the only one who got an A lol cus she kept feeding wrong info to the students and never went with the spec) so honestly, if ur willing to put the work in it and self study, psych may be an easier option if your memory isnt great with dates and names, as altho its got memory, its also got some maths and application. i suggest first you go to both psych and history trs to se if they give good support or not to get an idea + check the specs and see how many papers there are, content etc
hope this helps!

Thank you very much for your reply. I will definitely go ahead and have a look into both of the courses. Today, I found out how terrible the psychology teacher is in my school as she makes the students learn everything at home and only uses the lessons to answer any questions and that too she will use the textbooks herself to answer. I had my second history lesson today and I actually enjoyed learning about the content. It seems very interesting and I think I will prefer History- the teacher is very intelligent and knows how to teach the subject effectively too! Thank you very much for the reply I really appreciate it!
Reply 6
Original post by yogo1o
I do bio, chem and history and just started Y13 and I'll say there is a lot of essay writing in history but I've found that for AQA at least it's not too much of a step up from GCSE. There can be a lot of content but psych also has a lot of content and so a lot of it comes down to how interested you are in the courses, I personally love mine!

Today I had my second history lesson and I really enjoyed it. It was very fun learning about the history of the England and Russia. Which exam board do you study? I am studying Edexcel and we are doing the topics Russia and England. Also, as we are both doing the same A-levels do you have any advice for either three Bio, Chem or History? Thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate it!
Reply 7
Original post by student643
Today I had my second history lesson and I really enjoyed it. It was very fun learning about the history of the England and Russia. Which exam board do you study? I am studying Edexcel and we are doing the topics Russia and England. Also, as we are both doing the same A-levels do you have any advice for either three Bio, Chem or History? Thank you very much for your reply I really appreciate it!

I do AQA and study Germany, Britian and have to do coursework in history. What's worked for me is really just to make notes and flashcards as I go along (I personally recommend anki for flashcards) and that's true for all of my subjects, especially making notes for bio and chem as it forces me to go over the content and address any areas I don't understand. I also try and talk to my teachers as soon as there is something I don't understand, or if I do badly on a test. I don't really have any specific advice aside from make sure that however you take notes, they are organised and that you keep hold of any in class tests you do
Reply 8
Original post by yogo1o
I do AQA and study Germany, Britian and have to do coursework in history. What's worked for me is really just to make notes and flashcards as I go along (I personally recommend anki for flashcards) and that's true for all of my subjects, especially making notes for bio and chem as it forces me to go over the content and address any areas I don't understand. I also try and talk to my teachers as soon as there is something I don't understand, or if I do badly on a test. I don't really have any specific advice aside from make sure that however you take notes, they are organised and that you keep hold of any in class tests you do

Yes I've started to take notes in all three of my subjects and I have also ordered some index/ revision cards so that after every lesson for each subject I can make revision cards with all the content so that I can review and revisit the content again multiple times for revision. Thank you very much for all the help!

Quick Reply

Latest