The Student Room Group

Which Uni for Economics & Management?

Hello :smile: Just wanted to ask which Universities you think I should consider when applying. Here are my details:

GCSE grades
In my school, nearly everybody takes 9 GCSEs but we can do Art or Latin to make it 10. Here are my choices and grades:
Maths - A* (Edexcel)
French - A* (Edexcel)
Spanish - A* (Edexcel)
Physics - A* (AQA)
Geography - A (AQA, can't believe I messed up)
English - A (OCR)
English Literature - B (OCR)
Biology - B (Edexcel)
History - B (Edexcel)

The grades put me in the top 15% of my private school

Grades I want and think I might get at AS
Maths - A
French - A (however, I was fluent before taking exam, having attended French schools until I was 13)
Economics - A
Geography - A
GovPol - A
Citizenship - A (forced by school)

Achieved learning in a good state school

Grades I want and think I might get at A2
Maths - A*
French - A*
Economics - A*
Geography - A*
Citizenship - A*

Achieved learning in a good state school

Post-Sixth Form
I think I'll study Economics and Management at University (starting when I'm 17, so no gap year), then go into Marketing. After a few years, I'd love to run my own business.

Standard of Application
I think I'll probably write quite a good personal statement and my interview skills are very good (I think!). I also usually get along with my teachers so references should be good...hopefully! Finally, I had a quick look at the TSA (Thinking Skills entrance test) and I seemed to do quite well - I didn't actually try the whole papers, just did a few questions...so not the most accurate test of my skills ^^

Extra-Curricular Activities
Although this is probably irrelevant to most Universities, I'll mention anyway: I'll take quite a few courses in the little spare time I'll have over the next two years, participate in things like Debate Club, Business Awareness and continue swimming competitively. I'll also try to become something like Head of Sixth Form if I can :tongue:

- - - - -

Also, I'm hesitant about taking so many A-Levels - any idea which subjects I should drop after AS or simply not take at all? And is Economics and Management the right course?
Reply 1
See if your 6th form offer young enterprise , it will give you something to talk about in your personal statement (especially if you get a good position). Apart from that your application looks rather strong and you will have a good chance of getting into to Oxford or Bristol which are considered the best 2 for E and M.

Good Luck with your studies
Reply 2
rugbygreg
See if your 6th form offer young enterprise , it will give you something to talk about in your personal statement (especially if you get a good position). Apart from that your application looks rather strong and you will have a good chance of getting into to Oxford or Bristol which are considered the best 2 for E and M.

Good Luck with your studies

Thanks for the great answer, Greg :yep:
I'll definitely look into Young Enterprise then...and now all I have to do is get the grades :rolleyes:

Do you think it's reasonable for me to want to take 6 AS-Levels and 5 A2s (of which easy French and easy Citizenship)?
Reply 3
Instead of a weak and time-consuming A-level like govt&pol, you could significantly improve your application by taking Further Maths, so why don't you?

As for which universities - have a look on the UCAS site and check the entry requirements/typical offers.
Reply 4
tripleeagle
Hello :smile: Just wanted to ask which Universities you think I should consider when applying. Here are my details:

GCSE grades
In my school, nearly everybody takes 9 GCSEs but we can do Art or Latin to make it 10. Here are my choices and predicted grades:
Maths - A*
French - A*
Spanish - A*
Geography - A*
Physics - A*
English - A*
Enlgish Literature - A*
Biology - A/B
History - B

Maths - A
French - A (however, I was fluent before taking exam, having attended French schools until I was 13)
Economics - A
Geography - A
GovPol - A

Maths - A*
French - A*
Economics - A*
Geography - A*
Citizenship - A*

Post-Sixth Form
I think I'll study Economics and Management at University (starting when I'm 17, so no gap year), then go into Marketing.

Standard of Application
I think I'll probably write quite a good personal statement and my interview skills are very good (I think!)

Although this is probably irrelevant to most Universities, I'll mention anyway: I'll take quite a few courses in the little spare time I'll have over the next two years, participate in things like Debate Club, Business Awareness and continue swimming competitively. I'll also try to become something like Head of Sixth Form if I can :tongue:

- - - - -

Also, I'm hesitant about taking so many A-Levels - any idea which subjects I should drop after AS or simply not take at all? And is Economics and Management the right course?

Definitely keep Maths as it is almost vital for maths at any top uni. Citizenship probably wont add much if anything to your application-if you really want a 5th A-level then GovPol would probably be seen as stronger and would be more useful on your course.

If you are wanting to go into marketing then E&M seems slighly suprising as it is very quantative. The degree you do is not particularly important when it comes to applying for jobs-the uni is more important but it would probably be worth looking at some courses that include some element of marketing. E&M/straight Economics are also extremely competitive courses for entry.
If you are set on E&M then Oxford should be your target. Bristol and Edinburgh also offer it I think.
Reply 5
roginho
Instead of a weak and time-consuming A-level like govt&pol, you could significantly improve your application by taking Further Maths, so why don't you?

As for which universities - have a look on the UCAS site and check the entry requirements/typical offers.

Oh right...I was told by some people that GovPol was a respected subject and some said that it was much weaker than an A-Level like Geography. Then, I was told that I needed an essay-writing/source-studying subject :frown:

I don't think Further Maths is for me though: I believe that with a lot of work I will able to achieve an A* in Maths at A-Level but FM could be pushing it. Thanks for the advice though : )

Entry requirements are nearly all AAA for E&M at the top Unis; however, I'd be very interested in checking out typical offers. I've had a quick look at UCAS (right now) but I couldn't see an obvious way to access a page with typical offers for Oxford's E&M, for example.
Reply 6
ttt22
Definitely keep Maths as it is almost vital for maths at any top uni. Citizenship probably wont add much if anything to your application-if you really want a 5th A-level then GovPol would probably be seen as stronger and would be more useful on your course.

If you are wanting to go into marketing then E&M seems slighly suprising as it is very quantative. The degree you do is not particularly important when it comes to applying for jobs-the uni is more important but it would probably be worth looking at some courses that include some element of marketing. E&M/straight Economics are also extremely competitive courses for entry.
If you are set on E&M then Oxford should be your target. Bristol and Edinburgh also offer it I think.

I'm definitely doing Maths at AS and A2 (a requirement by Oxford, as of 2012) :smile: My college is forcing me to do Citizenship so I won't be able to drop it - should I still take GovPol?

I'm afraid I didn't tell you everything I want to do after Uni: I hope to work in Marketing for a few years and then run a business - I would have thought the E&M course could come in handy at that point :smile:

Congratulations on your entry to E&M at Oxford, by the way - you're probably where I want to be in two years!
Reply 7
1. Yes do FM instead of one of the others (geography or govpol).

2. Economics and Management might be your dream degree, so go for Oxford as your number 1 choice. But I would suggest looking at variants of the course at other unis as unis are more important than degree (especially since econ&management is not as regarded as say maths&econ or straight econ) (I.e. see what LSE,UCL,Warwick offer similar to it, I know LSE do a management course where you can choose quite a few econ options so look at that one. If you want to go into marketing it would fit anyway).
Reply 8
tripleeagle

GCSE grades
In my school, nearly everybody takes 9 GCSEs but we can do Art or Latin to make it 10. Here are my choices and predicted grades:
Maths - A*
French - A*
Spanish - A*
Geography - A*
Physics - A*
English - A*
Enlgish Literature - A*
Biology - A/B
History - B

Maths - A
Economics - A
Geography - A
GovPol - A

Maths - A*
French - A*
Economics - A*
Geography - A*
Citizenship - A*

Post-Sixth Form
I think I'll study Economics and Management at University (starting when I'm 17, so no gap year), then go into Marketing.

Standard of Application
I think I'll probably write quite a good personal statement and my interview skills are very good (I think!)

- - - - -

i)it is very early to be thinking about this
ii)Politics is less respected: see the sticky in the A-level forum.
Reply 9
tripleeagle
Thanks for the great answer, Greg :yep:
I'll definitely look into Young Enterprise then...and now all I have to do is get the grades :rolleyes:

Do you think it's reasonable for me to want to take 6 AS-Levels and 5 A2s (of which easy French and easy Citizenship)?

I think that might be a bit overboard, saying that Citizenship isn't really a respected qualification so you might want to forget about that (Just do 5 AS's). I'd say you should do a max of 4 A2's as doing any-more wont really strengthen your application too much and will just dilute your studies so stick with 4 or 3.

Good luck, if you have any questions about any rankings or the best universities just give me a bell as I've done a full summer of research to get my list. (Message me as I stupidly removed my quote bar on the side of the screen and can't get it back).
Reply 10
rugbygreg
I think that might be a bit overboard, saying that Citizenship isn't really a respected qualification so you might want to forget about that (Just do 5 AS's). I'd say you should do a max of 4 A2's as doing any-more wont really strengthen your application too much and will just dilute your studies so stick with 4 or 3.

I'm afraid I have to do Citizenship: my school forces me :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending