The Student Room Group

some coursework help

hiya,

i would like some help with my coursework. mainly getting the question.

this is the situation. i joined school late so my classmates have already done their algebra coursework which is due in mid-october. i have not done it and my teacher said she would give me the question in early october but i would like to start my coursework asap but i dont even know what the aim of the coursework is. so anyone can give me the exact question/objective of T-Totals and Emma's dillemma. i searched google but cant get it.

thanx.
Reply 1
surely your teacher will give you this at least???

emma's dillema:

Emma is playing with the letters of her name, arranging them into different order:

1) Emma
2) Meam
3) Aemm

Investigate the number of different arrangements of the letters of Emma's name.

Investigate the number of different arrangements of the letters of the name Lucy.

Choose some different names and try to work those out too.

A number of X's and a number of Y's are written now in a row such as

XX, XXYY, Y, XXXYYYY etc.

Investigate the number of different arrangements of the letters.

so play around with the letters... then i suppose you're expected to extend this to different numbers of letters, different numbers of repeated letters. a little googling of combinatronics and introducing !s to your work will probably get your full marks.

um, can't fidn the t-totals one off the top of my head, though it may be even on the exam board website. it's certainly been posted and discussed may times on these forums, so use the search function at the top.
Reply 2
thanx. my teacher said she would give it to me in the next two weeks coz she doesnt have a copy at the moment. i can probably do it in a week but i rather start early to get full marks coz i have been getting full marks on my modules and i dont wanna mess things up coz of coursework.

i did do a search, the problem is that most of the threads have answers and stuff but not the question. but yeah, thanx. i'll think about the emma's dilemma and see how it goes.

Latest