The Student Room Group

History coursework result

Hey, so basically a few months ago when I was doing my a level history coursework I was at a level C but recently I even reached A star in one of my essays. However my coursework reslut has come back as a C and its kind of discouraged me especially as I was expecting a higher result. What should I do?
Original post by xx_princesca_xx
Hey, so basically a few months ago when I was doing my a level history coursework I was at a level C but recently I even reached A star in one of my essays. However my coursework reslut has come back as a C and its kind of discouraged me especially as I was expecting a higher result. What should I do?

How many essays does the coursework consist of, in total?

I ask because if you got an A* in one essay out of 3, but a C overall then that seems odd. However, if you got an A* in one essay out of 20, then a C overall is perfectly plausible.

Or was the essay you got an A* in not actually part of the coursework anyway, but was a separate essay?

Also, what exam board is this for? The AQA history spec implies that the coursework consists of a single 3500–4500 word historical investigation, and the Equqas spec suggests it's a single historical enquiry "between 3000 and 4000 words in length".
There's not much you can do. Coursework is marked and moderated externally, so your C grade seems to be indicative of the level you're working at.
Original post by DataVenia
How many essays does the coursework consist of, in total?

I ask because if you got an A* in one essay out of 3, but a C overall then that seems odd. However, if you got an A* in one essay out of 20, then a C overall is perfectly plausible.

Or was the essay you got an A* in not actually part of the coursework anyway, but was a separate essay?

Also, what exam board is this for? The AQA history spec implies that the coursework consists of a single 3500–4500 word historical investigation, and the Equqas spec suggests it's a single historical enquiry "between 3000 and 4000 words in length".

The c was for the coursework the A star was seperate.
Original post by xx_princesca_xx

It's not been externally moderated yet
Reply 5
I hope you are doing well and came out with good grades/what you needed overall. I am getting my result back for Coursework very soon, so wish me luck.

It can be a hard thing to undertake, especially if you have never done something like it before or your guidance isn't that helpful for you. Some people are just better at timed essays than long investigative pieces with footnotes, historians, and so on, it's a skill to work at especially if you want to do that at uni or do something like this in the future.

I know this is a year old, but for anyone currently going through a disappointing coursework grade, as long as you tried your best, Of course, something like this can be disheartening and doesn't feel great, and it can be very upsetting to not get the top grade, especially if you worked hard and tried your best, but don't be discouraged. There is no point in being sad, you can't change it if an appeal does nothing or it doesn't get you the grade you want.

This year it is yet to be moderated so some things can change, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on this.

Now the best thing to focus on is doing some good revision. Keep your head up and try your best in the exams so that the 20% of the history coursework is worth doesn't have too much of an impact. You can still get the grade you need /want with a c, just a touch more weighting is on the exam itself than if you got a higher coursework grade.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending