The Student Room Group

A-level choices for Architecture/subjects in general :(

So architecture is really the only university course that I have thought of doing. It involves Maths & Art/Design which I will be doing at A-level. If theres any other courses or careers that involve Maths/Art i'm pretty much open minded!
However I don't know what to do about my other 2 subjects.
My GCSEs were A*A*A*A*AAAAAABC
My choice will be between Chemistry, Physics, History and Economics.
I only considered Physics because it links in with Architecture, however i hear that it's really hard.
I did double award science and got BA. Core science i flopped because I didnt concentrate or revise at all. Additional, I achieved a A* in Chem module and A in Physics.
I prefer Chemistry but it's not at all in line with a career I want. This is the same with History which I got an A* at GCSE.

Any help would be fantastic.
Reply 1
If you already have Maths, Art and Physics then the 4th doesn't matter much, just pick something you'll do well in. Geography perhaps?
Reply 2
I'm hoping to study architecture at uni and i took Art, Maths, Physics and History at AS. However I regret taking history and wish I had taken chemistry instead. I also have a friend who wants to study architecture and takes Art, Maths, Physics and Economics....it's really up to you. Some uni's prefer at least one science. Although Physics is a great subject to have, take Chemistry if you enjoy it more and are better at it as you are likely to work harder. Your fourth subject doesn't have to be directly related to architecture in any way....maybe it would be good to contast art/science with an essay based subject, history or english.
Your GCSE grades are great so you could probably cope with any combination of subjects. :smile:
Reply 3
chellzey
I'm hoping to study architecture at uni and i took Art, Maths, Physics and History at AS. However I regret taking history and wish I had taken chemistry instead. I also have a friend who wants to study architecture and takes Art, Maths, Physics and Economics....it's really up to you. Some uni's prefer at least one science. Although Physics is a great subject to have, take Chemistry if you enjoy it more and are better at it as you are likely to work harder. Your fourth subject doesn't have to be directly related to architecture in any way....maybe it would be good to contast art/science with an essay based subject, history or english.
Your GCSE grades are great so you could probably cope with any combination of subjects. :smile:

Thanks for your advice! My block C is a choice between Chemistry and Economics. and my Block D is a choice between History and Physics. I'm just confused which combination to take.
I don't know whether doing two sciences would be too difficult, thats why i've chosen Economics for block C. Whats the work load like for History? And what did you get at GCSE for History/Physics?
:eek3: :eek3:

Edit, and btw, isit just a science that uni's prefer for architecture, or physics in particular? If i was to take say, Chemistry instead of Physics, how much would that put me at a disadvantage? Also, whats the hard parts to Physics? If it's the maths related stuff then that won't be difficult if i'm taking maths?
Reply 4
123jordan123
Thanks for your advice! My block C is a choice between Chemistry and Economics. and my Block D is a choice between History and Physics. I'm just confused which combination to take.
I don't know whether doing two sciences would be too difficult, thats why i've chosen Economics for block C. Whats the work load like for History? And what did you get at GCSE for History/Physics?
:eek3: :eek3:

Edit, and btw, isit just a science that uni's prefer for architecture, or physics in particular? If i was to take say, Chemistry instead of Physics, how much would that put me at a disadvantage? Also, whats the hard parts to Physics? If it's the maths related stuff then that won't be difficult if i'm taking maths?

There's a lot of work for history and it'll take a while to get your writing technique perfect, even for the best historian. GCSE History in my opinion does not really prepare you that well because there is such a big jump between GCSE and AS and i got A* at GCSE. I did OCR History which is marked quite harshly but I'm not sure about other exam boards. Do you know which board your sixth form/college uses? It's good to get all your homework and essays done as soon as they are set otherwise it can get quite stressful.

Physics is such an interesting subject so i definitely recommend it. I got A/A* in double science at GCSE (don't know the module grades) and Physics is still quite challenging but it depends on the individual. I think it was my weakest science subject but doing Maths makes it a lot easier. The hardest part of Physics for me is the explanations and grasping the concept of things.....oh and your exam technique will either make you or break you (it broke me at AS) so do LOADS of past papers and ask if you don't understand anything fully!

As for Chemistry instead of Physics, it really depends on the university. Some say at least one science and don't mind which, others specify physics or maths at AS. Visit some uni websites and check the entry criteria for architecture and that might give you a better idea.
Two sciences might be a bit heavy especially as they aren't compulsory for architecture but it depends on how hard you work and if you really love the subjects. However, as you are doing art, you might not have time for two sciences.

From block C i would go for Economics, that might lighten the work load and also be quite interesting and up to date with the world today. From block D I would say Physics because it is relavent to architecture and I have enjoyed it more than history. At As I neglected Physics because of all the pressure from my History teacher and in hindsight, I realised that I actually valued physics much more and should have worked harder. Also be mindful that universities sometimes prefer subjects that allow you to do research and writing in preparation for degree assignments.

I hope I haven't confused you too much!
Reply 5
chellzey
There's a lot of work for history and it'll take a while to get your writing technique perfect, even for the best historian. GCSE History in my opinion does not really prepare you that well because there is such a big jump between GCSE and AS and i got A* at GCSE. I did OCR History which is marked quite harshly but I'm not sure about other exam boards. Do you know which board your sixth form/college uses? It's good to get all your homework and essays done as soon as they are set otherwise it can get quite stressful.

Physics is such an interesting subject so i definitely recommend it. I got A/A* in double science at GCSE (don't know the module grades) and Physics is still quite challenging but it depends on the individual. I think it was my weakest science subject but doing Maths makes it a lot easier. The hardest part of Physics for me is the explanations and grasping the concept of things.....oh and your exam technique will either make you or break you (it broke me at AS) so do LOADS of past papers and ask if you don't understand anything fully!

As for Chemistry instead of Physics, it really depends on the university. Some say at least one science and don't mind which, others specify physics or maths at AS. Visit some uni websites and check the entry criteria for architecture and that might give you a better idea.
Two sciences might be a bit heavy especially as they aren't compulsory for architecture but it depends on how hard you work and if you really love the subjects. However, as you are doing art, you might not have time for two sciences.

From block C i would go for Economics, that might lighten the work load and also be quite interesting and up to date with the world today. From block D I would say Physics because it is relavent to architecture and I have enjoyed it more than history. At As I neglected Physics because of all the pressure from my History teacher and in hindsight, I realised that I actually valued physics much more and should have worked harder. Also be mindful that universities sometimes prefer subjects that allow you to do research and writing in preparation for degree assignments.

I hope I haven't confused you too much!

Wow no, you definately didn't confuse me. I had been racking my brains out trying to figure out the best subjects for me to choose, and you have definately helped me come to the decision to choose the subjects Maths, Physics, Economics & Art! Within a week left until school, I feel much more at ease moving on to A-levels.
Thank you so much for your help, now i'm just going to have too knuckle down and do a lot of work over the next couple of years and hope I do well in my chosen subjects! :woo: :eek3:

Oh and btw, did you do maths and mechanics or maths and statistics? I can't fit maths & mech into the right block :/ is that going to be a major issue?
Reply 6
123jordan123
Wow no, you definitely didn't confuse me. I had been racking my brains out trying to figure out the best subjects for me to choose, and you have definitely helped me come to the decision to choose the subjects Maths, Physics, Economics & Art! Within a week left until school, I feel much more at ease moving on to A-levels.
Thank you so much for your help, now i'm just going to have too knuckle down and do a lot of work over the next couple of years and hope I do well in my chosen subjects! :woo: :eek3:

Oh and btw, did you do maths and mechanics or maths and statistics? I can't fit maths & mech into the right block :/ is that going to be a major issue?

You're most welcome.
At my sixth form we don't have a choice between maths with statistics or mechanics. At AS I did Statistics (S1) and for A2 I will be starting Mechanics (M1). I messed up badly in my statistics paper in June even though I was fairly good at it and got A* in GCSE statistics but it was just one of those papers :frown:. I can't imagine statistics instead of mechanics would be a problem, as long as you get a good grade I suppose.
Good luck with your chosen subjects and sixth form in general. Have fun!

Latest