The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've heard about this.
Anyone who turns up to the meeting and proves they've read the book is invited into the Pip Club.

Discounts on student stuff, seems pretty reasonable if all you have to do is read the book.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I may as well read it seeing as I'm reading Great Expectations right now. It doesn't look like the best book ever, but I could be wrong, and if we get discounts... I'm in :biggrin: Are we supposed to have already been sent a copy?
Reply 3
It's depressing. So so depressing. :sigh:
etoile34
Freshers: are we supposed to read this? Are you going to? I know there's an (optional?) meeting about it during Fresher's Week, but is there any other reason to read it if the book itself doesn't look appealing? It seems a bit schmaltzy, and I would prefer to spend the time reading something else.... :unsure:

I quite enjoyed it :smile: It's hardly the most intellectual of books, but the characters are likeable and the story's relatively pacey.

I'd give it a go if I were you, especially if you get discounts etc for it!
Reply 5
Is this the novel they're sending round this year?

Last year they sent The Reluctant Fundamentalist to all the freshers. When I arrived, I hadn't read it (still haven't), and there weren't many who had...
Reply 6
Bucky!
Is this the novel they're sending round this year?

Last year they sent The Reluctant Fundamentalist to all the freshers. When I arrived, I hadn't read it (still haven't), and there weren't many who had...

This. There were a few book groups and the author came in to give a talk... but that was it - I had a few friends who had read it and so participated, but it wasn't a big big part of Freshers' Week, let alone the rest of the year.
Reply 7
Wait I do not seem to be on top of things.. It's a book that freshers have to read? what? I've never heard of that before..
Reply 8
Wait I do not seem to be on top of things.. It's a book that freshers have to read? what? I've never heard of that before..
Reply 9
As has been said above, you don't have to read it. When I first got it, I didn't like the look of it much if I'm honest. However, now that I've read it I'd recommend it. It was a decent enough read and it only took me about 3 days to get through (not reading every second) so it won't divert you from deeper reading for too long. There are some nice wee bits in it, plus it'll be another point of conversation to have with other freshers when you arrive.
And um, how do you guys know about this? Was it sent out?
Reply 11
If you get it sent to you, do read it. It's an easy read and will probably take you an afternoon at the most. It's really quite enjoyable, although not particularly challenging.
what the hell is this all about?
Reply 13
St Andrews sends its freshers a a free book each year which has been nominated for / awarded the Booker Prize.
Reply 14
St Andrews sends its freshers a a free book each year which has been nominated for / awarded the Booker Prize.

So in the post or something? I'm slightly confused, having recieved no such book :frown:
Reply 15
ollie_77
So in the post or something? I'm slightly confused, having recieved no such book :frown:

Yeah, it should be on its way to you.

See http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/freshers/bookerprize/
Reply 16
Nice idea! Shame it's only for undergraduates :frown:
Reply 17
Just got it but im still homeless
Reply 18
I haven't received one yet :P:
Reply 19
Got mine today

Latest

Trending