The Student Room Group

How to make friends second year of uni?

I'm returning next week to university for my second year of studies, and this time I'm looking to change from what first year was like. In my first year I practically made no friends, only acquaintances that I talked to during seminars or tasks. Other than that we wouldn't text or talk to each other outside of university. I also spent every lecture (apart from 1) sitting by myself and it was pretty awful. But now I want to change that, I've heard about societies and sports clubs which im going to try but any ideas I'd love to hear, Thanks.
Hi Jonsnow34,

I’m Pip, a third year TV Production student.

Definitely check out some clubs and societies! I’ve made so many new friends in second year from being a part of my Uni’s Radio Station. As Freshers fair is coming up, it might be worth chatting to people that way as if you were a Fresher! Also don’t be afraid to join more than one!

In regard to other ideas, I’ve met a lot of new people by being a Student ambassador and other uni based work - so any opportunity you see your uni offer is definitely worth some thought!

Hope this helps 🙂

Pip
Original post by JonSnow34
I'm returning next week to university for my second year of studies, and this time I'm looking to change from what first year was like. In my first year I practically made no friends, only acquaintances that I talked to during seminars or tasks. Other than that we wouldn't text or talk to each other outside of university. I also spent every lecture (apart from 1) sitting by myself and it was pretty awful. But now I want to change that, I've heard about societies and sports clubs which im going to try but any ideas I'd love to hear, Thanks.

Hi @JonSnow34,

What are some of your interests?

I would say you have a good starting point by attending societies and sports clubs. Some other ways to make friends is to attend university events that are put on (that are not drinking) to really get a chance to have a conversation with new people. Your university might also put on events for people to get to know each other. For example my university has buddy schemes and coffee meet ups to help students connect with each other.

Another way to make friends is through working on campus. You can work as a student ambassador, cafes/libraries, restaurants and clubs on campus. This is a good way to make friends and a bit of money too!

Your university might also have a student representative scheme with a student union. This is where you act as a voice for your fellow students to pass on any concerns from students to staff to get these issues resolved. This is a good way to make friends as sometimes being a rep can involve organising events with other reps, so you get the chance to meet people from different courses as well as stages on your course. Being a representative for your cohort is good because people will be more familiar with your name so not only do they know they can approach you as a rep but also it is a good ice breaker.

I hope these help and good luck with making friends! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi,

As others have pointed out societies are a great way to meet people and make new friends, as you'll all be there due to a shared interest anyway which makes initial conversation easy enough. If you're feeling particularly outgoing, you could even just try speaking to people in queues, your university's shared spaces, and so on. Additionally, you can try and make friends within your seminar groups if you're up for getting involved in discussions.

University events are also a good way to meet people, and if you're in an accommodation building check to see if they put on any events, I met several friends at events ran by my accommodation.

Good luck!
Courtney H
Original post by JonSnow34

Hi!
My advice for making friends, especially at university, is to get involved with as much as possible, hopefully the clubs and societies will be a great outlet for this. Additionally, stay in touch with people outside of class or clubs, ask for people's social media, ask if they're going to an event/night out, this way you have an opportunity to develop friendships further than acquaintances.

Hope this is helpful! Faye :smile:
@JonSnow34

It sounds like you put in a lot of work last year building acquaintances, so perhaps trying to pick up from where you left of last year is a good start! Maybe you can suggest grabbing coffee after the seminar or suggest going to the library to study or revise. Perhaps there's a cool event taking place at the weekend that you can invite people to or perhaps you could see if anyone wants to watch the footie or rugby together. Creating more opportunities to spend time with people will give you the chance to get to know people better and to feel more comfortable talking about other things outside of studies/

When it comes to lectures, go and sit next to someone. Don't wait for someone to sit next to you; be proactive. If you try and sit next to different people and can do small talk, you will get to know the people better on your course and hopefully people will begin to sit next to you too! A lot of people can be shy or awkward or nervous about sitting next to people they don't know well, so be brave and sit next to different people and talk : )

Societies are a great way to meet people who you will have something in common with, so it can make conversation a lot easier and people tend to be more relaxed talking about their hobbies and interests, so definitely try and join one or two societies this year.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending