The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Oxford - Are my subjects ideal?

Hi people,

I'm going to apply for Computer Science at Oxford Uni, my AS results turned out good (four A grades) but i'm not sure if i'm in a decent position with the subjects I am taking.
I have taken Maths, Computing, Product Design and Media Studies, and aim to continue all of them onto A2 apart from Media Studies, and take up Further Maths as an AS. doing the whole Further Maths A Level in a year seems too daunting for me.

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As long as you've got maths...

You might find http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions helpful.
Reply 2
Oh wow, that's cool, a summer school to catch up on Further Maths! :biggrin:
Thank you very much for the link.

What I'm worried about is that they'll see that I should have taken Further Maths at the start of college. One of my maths teachers actually advised me not to take Further Maths, because apparently Maths alone was enough to get me into the computing industry. My feelings towards her now are pretty bitter, as you can probably imagine.
Reply 3
cambridge is better for computer science
Reply 4
ligouri
cambridge is better for computer science

I recently went on a summer school to Cambridge (with the Sutton Trust) and was in the Computer Science group. The quality of teaching is top-notch and I understand why people apply there, but personally, I just preferred the way in which Oxford came across. The Cambridge course seemed a lot more intensive, and I felt at times it was a bit overwhelming (although you're probably guaranteed to feel that way whichever Uni you go to).
Reply 5
Bathwater
Oh wow, that's cool, a summer school to catch up on Further Maths! :biggrin:
Thank you very much for the link.

I'm afraid that summer school doesn't run anymore, the CS site is out-of-date.
Reply 6
RichE
I'm afraid that summer school doesn't run anymore, the CS site is out-of-date.

Ahah, that's what i'm thinking, but the page had been updated this year. I'm guessing the sessions are still running each year. I'll probably phone up the admissions tutor at Keble and ask about that..
Reply 7
Do Oxford even do Computer science? Oh, OK, just realised that they do. ***ahem*** Please excuse my ignorance.
Reply 8
Bathwater
Ahah, that's what i'm thinking, but the page had been updated this year. I'm guessing the sessions are still running each year. I'll probably phone up the admissions tutor at Keble and ask about that..

I can tell you with confidence that that bridging course no longer exists, I'm afraid.
Reply 9
RichE
I can tell you with confidence that that bridging course no longer exists, I'm afraid.

So, in other words, i'm in a bad position with my lack of Further Maths?
Reply 10
Bathwater

a lot of colleges don't even offer f maths so it doesn't put you in a bad position, but definetly try for as further maths if it is available.
Reply 11
RichE

My friends going this year for CS and because he got a B in further maths he has to go a week early to do a bridging course. Duno if that's what your talking about.
Reply 12
jj193
My friends going this year for CS and because he got a B in further maths he has to go a week early to do a bridging course. Duno if that's what your talking about.

Really? and he's going to Oxford? If so, then he must be a rare case!
Reply 13
Bathwater

No, that's not the case, and you will be taking FM to AS-level anyway which is plenty.
Reply 14
jj193

Is that at Oxford? The only bridging course I know of is run by University College
Reply 15
Balliol
Reply 16
jj193
Balliol

Oh right, guess i'll have to phone up Keble and ask them.. surely a bridging course would be run by the whole computer science department though...?
Reply 17
have been in touch with the Computer Science fellow at Keble College, Oxford, and he said that the bridging course is not offered to those who do FM only to AS.

In other words, I guess he's trying to kindly suggest that there's no chance of getting in without the full FM A-level..
FML. :frown:
Reply 18
Bathwater
have been in touch with the Computer Science fellow at Keble College, Oxford, and he said that the bridging course is not offered to those who do FM only to AS.

In other words, I guess he's trying to kindly suggest that there's no chance of getting in without the full FM A-level..
FML. :frown:

Self-teach. And if they required FM why would it not be part of the offer?
Reply 19
jj193
Self-teach. And if they required FM why would it not be part of the offer?

Based on current student profiles, all of them have taken FM to A2. They might say that the course doesn't require FM, but if they only end up choosing those that do have FM, isn't that stating the requirement in itself?

Latest

Trending

Trending