The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - What course/university should I pick for my 5th choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nothepreacher
Can the universities see your 4 or 5 choices? What if I apply to just 3 universities for medcine and the other two for genetics?

No they won't know anything, can I ask why only three?
Reply 481
If you chose less than 4 universities to study Medicine, is there still a chance you would be accepted?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kurt123
If you chose less than 4 universities to study Medicine, is there still a chance you would be accepted?

Of course - there is a chance that if you only apply to one, you will get in. However, that carries massive risk at not getting in to any medical school.

Also, for medical school, your personal statement should be aimed at exactly "Why do you want to be a doctor/study medicine?" - So it might be a little strange if most of your applications are not actually for medicine ! And if your personal statement is not perfectly geared for medicine, it's much less likely you will get accepted for medicine.
Reply 483
Original post by Lionheartat20
Of course - there is a chance that if you only apply to one, you will get in. However, that carries massive risk at not getting in to any medical school.

Also, for medical school, your personal statement should be aimed at exactly "Why do you want to be a doctor/study medicine?" - So it might be a little strange if most of your applications are not actually for medicine ! And if your personal statement is not perfectly geared for medicine, it's much less likely you will get accepted for medicine.

Thank you very much for the great advice. I was thinking of applying for Medicine in Glasgow University and on top of that other medical courses such as Optometry and Nursing also in Glasgow. So do you think there is no point in applying for the UKCAT then because I have a very small chance of getting in?
Original post by kurt123
Thank you very much for the great advice. I was thinking of applying for Medicine in Glasgow University and on top of that other medical courses such as Optometry and Nursing also in Glasgow. So do you think there is no point in applying for the UKCAT then because I have a very small chance of getting in?

Well to have any chance whatsoever, you need to take the UKCAT :smile: And some chance is better than no chance :wink:

Make sure you have some relevant work experience to talk about within your personal statement, prediction of AAA (if still at school) for A2 , a decent UKCAT score (not sure how heavily Glasgow use this to be honest) , and a well-written personal statement that is targetted somewhat towards medicine / healthcare :wink:

Good luck!
Reply 485
Original post by kurt123

Hey, sorry to butt in :redface: Just wanted to say that the UKCAT is a requirement at Glasgow. Glasgow seem to place a large emphasis on your scores too - for 2013 entry, you were ranked by your score, and then the top scorers were invited to interview. So assuming that the selection process won't change when you'll be applying, you'll increase your chances greatly by acing the UKCAT! :smile:
Reply 486
Original post by Lionheartat20
Well to have any chance whatsoever, you need to take the UKCAT :smile: And some chance is better than no chance :wink:

Make sure you have some relevant work experience to talk about within your personal statement, prediction of AAA (if still at school) for A2 , a decent UKCAT score (not sure how heavily Glasgow use this to be honest) , and a well-written personal statement that is targetted somewhat towards medicine / healthcare :wink:

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the great advice. The UKCAT is a big part of who gets into Medicine for Glasgow university. Hopefully I will make a choice soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 487
Original post by Jozzers
Hey, sorry to butt in :redface: Just wanted to say that the UKCAT is a requirement at Glasgow. Glasgow seem to place a large emphasis on your scores too - for 2013 entry, you were ranked by your score, and then the top scorers were invited to interview. So assuming that the selection process won't change when you'll be applying, you'll increase your chances greatly by acing the UKCAT! :smile:

Yep I was told this also but thank you for letting me know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was talking to my careers teacher and she said to make use all all 5 options. As it seems not everyone gets into medical school I was thinking of putting down 4 medical and have the 5th option as Biomedical science. What are the chances (lets say worst case scenario) that I end up doing Biomedical Science and then want to go to Med school as graduate, is this highly accepted by most universities or would they prefer a different course?
Would it be wise to put down Biochemistry at Imperial College for the fifth choice?
Reply 490
Has everyone got their replies for their 5th choice yet?
I am applying for 2015 entry and was thinking of applying to Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL as my 5th choice for chemistry or natsci..

If anyone had got an offer could you share your experience

Thanks
Original post by ryanb97
Has everyone got their replies for their 5th choice yet?
I am applying for 2015 entry and was thinking of applying to Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL as my 5th choice for chemistry or natsci..

If anyone had got an offer could you share your experience

Thanks

Is it going to be worth applying to Oxbridge as surely the grades required would be the same as your medicine offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 492
Original post by Amyk89
Is it going to be worth applying to Oxbridge as surely the grades required would be the same as your medicine offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's like saying why apply to UCL for maths where the offer is A*A*A with STEP and at oxford it's A*A*A ....

I don't think it's about the grades required, it's about the course and if I would be happy doing it
Original post by ryanb97
That's like saying why apply to UCL for maths where the offer is A*A*A with STEP and at oxford it's A*A*A ....

I don't think it's about the grades required, it's about the course and if I would be happy doing it

But it's also about having a backup in case you don't get the grades for medicine. Of course you want to pick a back up you would be happy doing but the general idea is that the grades needed are less than medicine, because if you get three a grades you want to do medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 494
Original post by Amyk89
But it's also about having a backup in case you don't get the grades for medicine. Of course you want to pick a back up you would be happy doing but the general idea is that the grades needed are less than medicine, because if you get three a grades you want to do medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally get what your saying but (I think) I will take a gap year if I didn't get in - if I did get an offer from another uni e.g. Oxbridge/UCL/Imperial , and was seriously going to consider going, it would have to be somewhere special. I don't think many medics predicted AAA would go to a back up of BCC just because they didn't get in - as (once again I think) prestige of the course has some parts in the decision
Original post by ryanb97
I totally get what your saying but (I think) I will take a gap year if I didn't get in - if I did get an offer from another uni e.g. Oxbridge/UCL/Imperial , and was seriously going to consider going, it would have to be somewhere special. I don't think many medics predicted AAA would go to a back up of BCC just because they didn't get in - as (once again I think) prestige of the course has some parts in the decision

I am not saying people go for BCC offers, but usually AAB or ABB as most medicine offers are now at least AAA. My point was that Oxbridge is not exactly a 'backup' choice as you will need just as high grades to stand a chance there.
Hello,
I'm thinking of applying to study neuroscience as my fifth - is this a bad idea? I have A*AAB as my A2 grades already and I think I would really enjoy this subject if medicine doesn't work out BUT is it too different from medicine to get accepted with my medicine personal statement?
Thanks!
Fern
But I mean, what if you're worried about not getting into uni at all? I think if you're in that position you should as many applications as physically possible. But yeah if you have good grades and a good PS etc then you are wasting ppls time if you have absolutely no intention of going to your 5th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending