The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LOL is this a joke? :/
just be yourself, i'm black and no say "yo" or "bro".
stop stereotyping
Reply 21
lol this is hilarious. You're an idiot! we are human you know! Just don't talk to them at all, save yourself the embarrassment.
Reply 22
if memory serves correctly.. I believe you are black.

in which case. :colonhash:
Reply 23
Come on TSR! It's an obvious troll, so just go along with it! :ahee:
Hooray_henry
I once said, 'sizzle on my nizzle, bizzle' as a friendly joke to a black person. He walked off afterwards. Since then I have been nervous.

Was that an attempt at a joke? :confused:
AHAHAHA. The same way you would treat a non-black person maybe?
who uses the word crib??? just be yourself!
Reply 28
Oh my! Well, I'm assuming that this is not a joke but at the same time thinking it has got to be...

On the one hand I want to say don't worry about it - Tim Westwood has made a career out of that kind of behaviour. On the other, I suggest you get over yourself and stop making broad assumptions based solely on skin colour, if only because I am sick of people being shocked when I (a mixed-race person) say I enjoy opera as much as R'n'B.
QwentyJ
Just buy them a KFC and you will find that all tension you had with them will dissapate. :awesome:

:woo: i knew someone was gonna put a comment like that ROFL

dunno how you got that many reps tho
Chicken 2 Go.
Reply 31
Chocothunder
Hey all,

First of all, I feel I should begin by stating categorically that in no way am I racist, and that I am a firm believer in equality and harmony between different races, religions and sexes.

That said, I have a major problem with black people: I just don’t know how to speak to them. I think that the problem is that I’m terrified of unwittingly saying something insensitive to them, and being accused of racism/apathy towards black issues. Because of this, whenever I speak to a black person, I find myself almost trying to suck up to them and their cultural heritage, e.g. I constantly address them as ‘mate’ or ‘bro’ (which sounds incredibly odd due to my received pronunciation), compliment the achievements of people like Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks, pretend to be in awe of reggae and rap artists (whom I actually despise), claim to be Samuel L Jackson’s biggest fan etc. :s-smilie: It’s weird, because every time I start doing it, it sounds really forced and untrue, and I vow never to do it again, but I always do… Most of the time I don’t even make a constant decision to do it, it just happens because I’m so nervous. And recently it’s got even worse: I’ve started peppering my speech with ‘black slang’, e.g. I’ll greet them with a friendly ‘yo’, talk about my ‘crib’ and say things are ‘hip’. :s-smilie:

Is this normal? Is it something that I should be worried about? What could I try and do in order to be less nervous around black people and to be able talk to them as I would with anyone else?

Thanks. :o:

First of all if someone started attempting to talk slang and all that rubbish to me I would give them a slap (btw I'm black), we're not all 'ghetto' as you try to put it so you just have to be yourself and not get nervous because the harder you try the more you look stupid.

:cool:
Reply 32
LOOOL,

I had the same problem but I am black.most of the people I hanged around with where also black , but I got soo much stick for talking properly and having my white moments ha.I always used to get called oreo and "who's the most white" questions were frequently brought up.I hated being called white alll the time so I started to act more "black".Accents were forced, I tried to act ghetto and sorts.I soon realised this was not me and I was not going to try and be something I was not.I know alot about my history and roots and was not going to let this stereotype type thing let me think I was trying to think I was acting more white.I still get some stick now OP but Ii am myself and I feel comfortable.

Just be yourself, people will like you for you!Because you are yourself people will appreciate you and do not try to revert to the pressures around you and change yourself because of that.:smile:My friends soon realised that was just the way I acted and like me for being me.
Reply 33
legendary collison
:woo: i knew someone was gonna put a comment like that ROFL

dunno how you got that many reps tho

Dedication is what you need my friend.
What is it with Britain's obsession with racism, jeez just be yourself.
Tell them they won a free cruise trip.
Reply 36
Samrout
if memory serves correctly.. I believe you are black.

in which case. :colonhash:

If that's true, it takes the troll attempt from average to rather brilliant.
Why not just approach them as you would any other person? :smile: Stop focusing in on the colour of their skin.

I have black/white/Asian friends and I treat them all the same, I've never found a reason to differentiate. That's not to say you shouldn't take note of culture, I love talking to them about their trips to the Caribbean and talking about Indian customs and culture. Just make sure you get to know them as a person first :smile:
Oh wow lmao. Has to be a troll
Reply 39
Hint: it's exactly like talking to white people. Unless you habitually talk to white people about how much you hate black people, in which case you'd have to be careful to avoid mentioning that.

Latest

Trending

Trending