The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Haters gonna hate.

Malta have a good rep with us and usually vote for us in the Eurovision although they didn't last time..traitors!
Reply 2
Iraq /Afghanistan
Reply 3
Well to be fair I can understand people in nice little Mediterranean towns and what not being resentful at the invasion of foreigners, even if they do fuel the local economy.
Reply 4
Pretty much everyone tbh.
Reply 5
Probably because the particular area you were in has a history of dealing with drunken British tourists on holiday. Of course it's a stereotype and we aren't all like that. If you encounter people who think of you in such a way, the best thing you can do is prove them wrong by being friendly and polite, and they'll come to like you as an individual.
Reply 6
Do you mean in terms of government and foreign policy? Or people?
Reply 7
I've traveled a fair bit and never really encountered any raging HATE, but then I don't usually go to awful Spanish island holiday resorts, filled with drunken English *******.
Reply 8
Scotland
Everyone hates the English, even the English hate the English. Scottish/Welsh/Irish people I'm not so sure, but definitely the English.

It's a quirk of being English, and one I love :biggrin:
Reply 10
noone likes us :frown:
although its clearly them just hiding their jelousy :P
Reply 11
Spain generally don't like us. But the chavs of Britain give us that bad name! :colonhash:
Reply 12
Switzerland are neutral towards us. I think that's as good as we're going to get.

EDIT: Belgium would like us if it weren't for Niggel Farage.
Reply 13
Almost everybody hates the Brits. I think that after the Americans the Brits are the next most hated nation on earth (closely followed by Israel)

The Brits even hate one another for Christ's sake! The pubs of Scotland erupt with euphoria whenever someone scores a goal against England.:rolleyes:
Reply 14
I'm a dual citizen of the UK and the US. It's a tough choice having to decide which passport will attract least hatred!
Reply 15
I think some of the Spanish would dislike the British mainly because they get invaded by chavs over the summer… and Spain is usually the place were chavy Brits tend to migrate to
Quite a few, I'd imagine.
Reply 17
Lucky for me my parents and all my relatives are Scottish, so I can get on well with the Scottish despite my obvious English accent.
Reply 18
Swimstar
Hi, I've just been on holiday to a spanish island. Despite being a tourist, fuelling the main economic industry there (90%), I was surprised to find how negative and almsot resentful the locasl often were towards the Bristish - several families had noticed this. Other holiday destinations have rarely if ever showed this type of attitude, so it just started me wondering - which nations hate us and why?
Alternatively, which do you think like us?

I've lived in Spain my whole life and despite being born here and knowing the language I'm still treated with contempt by a lot of the Spanish here. You know they have a name for Brits in Spain? 'Giris'.

A lot aren't like that, and some realise that yeah, they're economy would crumble without foreigners (mainly British), but there is a definite negative attitude. Just have to learn to ignore it.
Swimstar
Hi, I've just been on holiday to a spanish island. Despite being a tourist, fuelling the main economic industry there (90%), I was surprised to find how negative and almsot resentful the locasl often were towards the Bristish - several families had noticed this. Other holiday destinations have rarely if ever showed this type of attitude, so it just started me wondering - which nations hate us and why?
Alternatively, which do you think like us?

I was not under the impression that entire nations hate other nations.

Latest

Trending

Trending