The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Are their any jobs that don't involve carrying stuff?

that's a dumb question but I have really bad dyspraxia and I have broken half the crockery in my dads house after being here for less than 18 months, so waitressing and bar work is not a good idea. I also have no experience due to personal circumstances which meant I was never in a position where I could hold down a job will this put me at a major disadvantage compared to everyone else?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
fn_101
Question re jobs, if you manage to find one, are they likely to want you to work during the hols/reading week/inter-semester break etc?

Very generally, yes. You may find a few that don't - but a couple of my friends who went jobhunting during first year said that the reason they couldn't get the jobs they found was because employers wanted them there over Reading Week/Inter Semester/Easter etc.
LGF92
I need a job too....stupid economy

I know, it sucks :frown:
duracell
Very generally, yes. You may find a few that don't - but a couple of my friends who went jobhunting during first year said that the reason they couldn't get the jobs they found was because employers wanted them there over Reading Week/Inter Semester/Easter etc.

Oh no. I live in Northern Ireland and I did want to go home for Christmas and Easter especially because my boyfriend lives there :frown: though surely the shops and pubs wouldn't be as busy over the holidays with the students all away home? Then they might not need as many staff.
monkyvirus
Are their any jobs that don't involve carrying stuff?

that's a dumb question but I have really bad dyspraxia and I have broken half the crockery in my dads house after being here for less than 18 months, so waitressing and bar work is not a good idea. I also have no experience due to personal circumstances which meant I was never in a position where I could hold down a job will this put me at a major disadvantage compared to everyone else?

Heya, well I know there a lot of hotels and b and bs so maybe cleaning work would be suitable for you as there wouldn't be much carrying involved? If you don't mind cleaning that is, though I did it for 8 months and it's not too bad. I'm sure employers will understand why you have no experience if you explain it to them on your application, and a lot goes by your personality and how the interview goes as well. Good luck!
KezzaN
Heya, well I know there a lot of hotels and b and bs so maybe cleaning work would be suitable for you as there wouldn't be much carrying involved? If you don't mind cleaning that is, though I did it for 8 months and it's not too bad. I'm sure employers will understand why you have no experience if you explain it to them on your application, and a lot goes by your personality and how the interview goes as well. Good luck!

Thanks I never thought of cleaning so I'll give it a go. Around where I live you can only get waitressing / bar work unless you have retail experience so I've been pretty scuppered this whole summer :frown:
Reply 26
What hours will people be looking to work? Or what would older students recommend for first year, 10 would seem a good number, but maybe 20 too much?
Paul92
What hours will people be looking to work? Or what would older students recommend for first year, 10 would seem a good number, but maybe 20 too much?

Personally I'm looking at 10-20ish hour jobs, but I'm going to be quite financially dependent on the money I make through work next year. If you just want a job to supplement what you already have, I'm sure 10 hours a week would be fine. I guess it just depends how much you need the money really :smile:

Edit: btw, I'm a fresher too, so I don't know exactly what I'm talking about, the help of an older student here would help me too :P
Reply 28
fever skin
Personally I'm looking at 10-20ish hour jobs, but I'm going to be quite financially dependent on the money I make through work next year. If you just want a job to supplement what you already have, I'm sure 10 hours a week would be fine. I guess it just depends how much you need the money really :smile:

Edit: btw, I'm a fresher too, so I don't know exactly what I'm talking about, the help of an older student here would help me too :P

I'm fairly reliant on money made as well, although £50 a week would suffice, considering I'll be clocking 40-50 hour weeks over christmas, and 30 hour weeks over easter!
Best thing to do to get work in St Andrews is print lots of copies of your CV, and just spend a morning wandering around the town handing them into all the shops, pubs and hotels. Good luck with your Union application KezzaN, although I hope you realise you will be missing A LOT of nights out if you get a job there =P
Reply 30
12-16 hours is what I'm aiming for.
another_waster
Best thing to do to get work in St Andrews is print lots of copies of your CV, and just spend a morning wandering around the town handing them into all the shops, pubs and hotels. Good luck with your Union application KezzaN, although I hope you realise you will be missing A LOT of nights out if you get a job there =P

Thanks, I am going to try that though I imagine lots of people will be doing the same. I know I'll miss some nights out, but I've spent my a lot of my gap year going out to all the clubs and pubs here, drinking etc and I'm a bit bored of it anyway tbh.

Latest

Trending

Trending