The Student Room Group

Post your favourite things about Autumn :)

It's not quite over yet and the days are still warm, but now the summer is winding down to its inevitable end, with students back to school and many of us preparing for the return to uni, it's easy to feel a bit glum about the proceeding months. Autumn is usually the least favourite of seasons, so I thought it would be nice to have a thread to celebrate it; we should be looking forward to a new and beautiful season. Post your favourite aspects of autumn to get people in the mood and shake off the end-of-summer blues:

I'll start:

1. Taking walks in the woods with my dogs and witnessing the beauty of the changing state of nature; the landscape combining trees of bright, verdant lush green from the remnants of summer and the darker emerald glint of the evergreens, against the spectrum of leaf colour, from ambers and golds, to russets and burgundies. Crunching through the crisp leaves...is a frivolous pleasure of mine...

2. That so-called 'Indian summer' - the few gorgeous days of mid-late September that are quite warm and sunny (17-20 deg) with blue skies, yet against the backdrop of the beauty of autumn described above.

This is an day during an Indian summer, where I believe nature looks its most beautiful:

3. Settling into my new house at uni, arranging my new bedroom and seeing all my housemates again.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i agree with all you said :smile: i love autumn
The colder weather and darker mornings and evenings :yep:
Reply 3
IMO it's second only to winter! It's the clothes I love - the boots ,gloves and scarves. :coma:

The leaves are really pretty and I like it when the wind gets a bit chilly. The tourists start going home so the towns are a little less crowded, and the run up to Christmas starts.
I love cold breezes so my face looks like a slapped baby's bottom.

:smile:
Reply 5
I dislike Autumn for stealing Summer from me.
I do like crunchy leaves though. And fireworks night, all wrapped up, with crisp cold air and all the noise.
Reply 6
Nothing, it's my least favourite season - I'm a spring person
redacted
(edited 1 year ago)
Leaves look so much better, plus i own a shed load of 'warm' clothes so it gives me a chance to wear them i guess.
Reply 9
autumn leaves, ducks, conkers, mist, cold weather, pre-christmas feeling and pies ^^
The wool!! I love wearing wool! I have some lovely mittens.
Nice temperatures.
I dislike autumn.
I've had way too many fractures from rotting leaves.
Not too hot, not too cold. :smile:
Reply 14
Rainy lazy days that you spend under the duvet watching movies...
Reply 15
Vegetables.
1. Rain
2. Cold
3. Thick, warm clothes
4. Not summer

That's pretty much all I need for me to like a season. :wink:

Winter is my favourite season, closely followed by autumn and spring in joint 2nd, and then summer doesn't even register. It's crap.

And nature is even more photogenic in autumn. Huzzah! :yep:
Beautiful leaves in big piles everywhere, getting to wear big wool jumpers and boots, drinking hot chocolate, eating autumn veg like roast squash and the hazelnut tree in my garden is ready for harvesting and finally the chances of seeing men wandering around shirtless in town is greatly reduced and people wear shoes instead of sandals (I hate feet).

I love autumn, it's easily my favourite season.
Reply 18
New series of Grey's anatomy, Glee and ANTM come out! :awesome:
Reply 19
thechosennerf
Autumn days, when the grass is jewelled
And the silk inside a chestnut shell
Jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled
All these things I love so well

So I mustn’t forget
No, I mustn’t forget
To say a great big thank you
I mustn’t forget.