The Student Room Group

Nursing with registration (Adult) at De Montfort University

Nursing at De Montfort University::smile:

Nursing here at DMU has been amazing. I can't quite believe I am sat here writing this as a third year student nurse starting my final placement on Wednesday - I am off to a surgical assessment unit.:flower2:

Nursing consists of 50% theory and 50% placement. This allows us to build the foundations whilst in uni & then go out to practice our knowledge. As student nurses we complete 2,300 hours in practice which are based across 7 placements.:cool:

The Placements team ensure we get a range of placements, whilst at DMU, which enables us to develop skills from all areas. My favourite placement so far has been community district nursing which enables care to be delivered from the comfort of the patient's own home.:couchpotato:

Each year is built up of 5 modules, 1 being placement block and 4 being assignments which support the development of our knowledge, building us up to become critical thinkers & so we can critique nursing/ care academically.

Each module you are given an assignment launch and the lecturers support you and explain what is involved with each element. You are also given pod tutorials were you can discuss and share 20% of your work before submission for support and guidance.

An amazing thing we have here at DMU is our clinical skills labs ! If you have not seen them, be sure to check them out on the DMU website, as they are brilliant! We have patients which are computed to react like normal patients; they talk, blink, cough etc. Its amazing! It enables us to experience clinical situations in a safe controlled environment ready for when we go out into clinical practice.:smile:

Nursing has been an amazing experience for me I've made friends for life and my cohort is one massive team. I am really sad that I am close to finishing, because I've loved the passed three years, but I am equally excited for my new journey as a newly qualified nurse. I hope to be your practice supervisor to some of you student nurses when you're out in practices, embarking on this amazing journey.

please get in contact with any questions:
Kind Regards
Emily :flutterby:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Hey, was so nice to read this. I’m starting my adult nursing course with DMU in September and really anxious as an almost 34yr old. What’s the structuring of lectures like on a day to day basis. Am I likely to be in uni all day every day? 😊 how in advance do you get your schedule etc?

TIA x
Original post by EllieT2503
Hey, was so nice to read this. I’m starting my adult nursing course with DMU in September and really anxious as an almost 34yr old. What’s the structuring of lectures like on a day to day basis. Am I likely to be in uni all day every day? 😊 how in advance do you get your schedule etc?

TIA x

Hi there Tia @EllieT2503 👋😇

Feeling anxious or having a few jitters before joining University is definitely understandable and completely normal from my experience!😌
Every timetable for all students is finalised once all enrollment and registration procedures for that course are completed. Timetables usually include an induction (a welcome :biggrin: ) timetable and then your academic timetable is released around 5 working days before your teaching starts🧑*🏫📅

Emily isn't available at the moment to answer as they recently graduated! Though we are happy about this as they are currently a practicing Nurse after completing study with us last autumn!🎓️🥳🥂

However, they did write a great in-depth thread, on how their day-in-the-life was in their final year, including roughly how much time they attended timetabled taught sessions and placement hours! This might be really useful and I've linked this here for you😁👩*⚕️

I hope this helps and we look forward to welcoming you as soon as we can!

-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3

TIA x

Hey Emllie I’m thinking of going to DMU to study learning disability.
Reply 4

TIA x

Hey Ellie I also thinking about picking DMU to studying learning Disability. Get in touch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending