The Student Room Group

french verbs

I have this homework for AS French to translate sentences into english and this one "That has nothing to do with the matter" I translated into french as "Celui-la a rien de faire avec la situation" but I don't think it's right. Can some body please help... its the 'a' correct?

Happy New Year
Reply 1
I would have said, "cela n'a rien à faire avec la situation"

don't know if that's any use to you. :confused:
Reply 2
thank you... but why is it "n'" as in negative... it's not like "haven't" or anything... it's not really a negative sentence. y'know?

maybe i'm just confusing myself

it is a great help - just need to explain where u get it from so i can do it in future thank you
Reply 3
well, its hard to explain really, but the word "rien" is negative in itself, ie "nothing". If you think of it as the opposite of "something", ie "not something"....??? Its like the French for no-one, "personne". If you were to say "there is no-one", it would be "il n'y a personne" (ie there is NOT someone)

Are you more confused now??? I wouldn't blame you because I don't think I make sense. But just believe me that you do have to negate the sentence!
Reply 4
ok.. i kinda understand except "nothing" is already negative so it will be double negative??

um... i'll take ur word for it thanx!

just hope the teacher doesnt ask how i did it

Latest

Trending

Trending