The Student Room Group

s2 or m1?

Basically, my teacher has decided to do s2 for my class, but has said he doesnt mind entering people for m1 if they can teach themselves.

I was wondering what people think would be better to do. i do a2 physics and we're doing the further mechanics part now so it would fit right in, and obviously ive already done the mechanics part of as also. but if i done s2 id be in the lessons and not have to teach myself it?

if i was to do m1 id try to get it done by january, i think, whereas s2 would be june.

currently for AS ive got 298/300 so id be aiming for quite high, basically asking is this possible teaching yourself it? and what people would think the best option to do would be?
If you like M1, do it. If you like S2, do it. As for teaching yourself M1, you seem more than capable of doing that :smile:
Reply 2
If youve done A2 physics M1 will take you about 5 minutes to learn.

S2 is just like S1 rly... its not any harder :smile:
Reply 3
If you do physics, definitely do M1, it's a breeze since you've already learned pretty much all of it :smile:
Even M2 is fairly simple if you know your physics.
Reply 4
I would say M1 as you've done A2 physics. And since you've got 298, teaching yourself M1 would be nothing but a piece of cake coz it's really easy. I got 100 quite easily..=)
Reply 5
5c00ter
If youve done A2 physics M1 will take you about 5 minutes to learn.

S2 is just like S1 rly... its not any harder :smile:

S2 I found easier than S1. M1 I found far easier than any other module. I did M1 and M2 for my Maths A level, so did M1 for the AS part.
Reply 6
If your doing A2 physics I doubt there'll be anything in M1 you can't already do (with the possible exception of the vectors bit). To be honest with 298 I assume your aiming for 90 in C3/C4. If you get those you'll need a grand total of 2 more UMS to get you the A* so knock yourself out =P
Reply 7
Holocaene
If your doing A2 physics I doubt there'll be anything in M1 you can't already do (with the possible exception of the vectors bit). To be honest with 298 I assume your aiming for 90 in C3/C4. If you get those you'll need a grand total of 2 more UMS to get you the A* so knock yourself out =P

Haha yeah I am, I did work that out and felt a lot less pressured for that module haha

thanks for all your help, seems like m1 would be the best idea to be honest. :smile:
I would add that given S2 is an A2 module, it is inherently harder, the raw to UMS were quite scary for Jan 10 so even those who were incredibly good got lower than expected mark, my whole class lost 10% on what they got on mock, so school recalled the papers and we all did much better on raw marks than UMS so I think you are very wise, my friend self taught M1 in a week on top of 5 A-levels, given your previous don't think you will struggle.
Reply 9
D1
Do both!!! M1 isn't TOO bad and if you are a physicist then it won't be bad at all! And I really enjoyed S2. Didn't do hot in it but you know, it's a much better option compared to ANY of the Decision modules. :/
I did M1 in AS without physics and managed an easy A (ocr) and did S1 in A2 and again got an easy A. I heard horror stories about M2 and S2. DO M1!!!!
If you do physics then M1 will be very easy to do, but at the end its just about what you want to do.
Reply 13
M1 in your case because you've done physics and your 298/300 shows that you're capable of learning it by yourself.
(Im teaching myself M1 for part of my AS F.Maths and Ive taught 3 topics with no difficulty)

Latest

Trending

Trending