The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love to support people, it's just the way of the world, men usually like supporting their families, it's only natural that we do.
Reply 21
ilovemeow
As a girl I couldn't help but wondering whether guys actually LIKE being a provider and gain some kind of happiness or satisfaction from knowing that their woman is provided for or if they find it some kind of chore and feel that they are required to do it because of the way men are expected to behave.

Some boys I've talked to consider it a burden having a female depending on them for financial support whilst other tell me they absolutely LOVE it and that they would happily do it because they know its their duty.

Just wondering what the general opinions here on TSR were.

Err no I don't think so. Saying a man has a duty to provide for his wife is just as outdated as saying women belong in the kitchen and should stay at home to look after the kids.
Reply 22
On the other hand, I like the male/provider role:smile: it's attractive. I don't believe that I will need to be provided for in future, but I still like it. At my house my mum always made us say thanks to my dad for stuff even when we'd suspect she paid for it. Ego stroking i guess but they have a great relationship..
(edited 13 years ago)
Arturo Bandini
Look after your kid's what?

Please find something more interesting to do than try to correct every mistake people make. Yes I accidentally put an apostrophe where I shouldn't. But who actually cares? Focus on fixing your own shortcoming instead of trying to highlight other people's to make you feel smart. :smile:
Reply 24
MJlover
So do you expect a women to work, raise children and take care of the household? Because someone has to, especially when the kids are very young and need their mother. So who would take care of your brothers and sisters (if you have any) whilst your mum is out working? Sorry but I don't like it when people degrade stay at home mums, they 'work' too and their job is way more important than something interchangeable like working for a company, only a mother can look after her own children properly.
I dislike it when people complain when they probably enjoyed their mum being there for them after school, with home cooked meals, clean clothes and hugs on demand.

Obviously when you have young kids nobody is expecting you to work. Not all women who work have young children though. And a lot of women work while their kids are at school and finish early at 4pm to pick them up. Half of the women who are relying on their husbands don't even need to be doing that.

There is no need to be a housewife for their whole life like a lot of women do.. Sometimes you just need to work, not every family is made out of money. Times have changed as well, we don't have like 10 kids per family so it's not that necessary that a woman should be at home for her whole life or looking after her 2 kids when they are teenagers.
MJlover
So do you expect a women to work, raise children and take care of the household? Because someone has to, especially when the kids are very young and need their mother. So who would take care of your brothers and sisters (if you have any) whilst your mum is out working? Sorry but I don't like it when people degrade stay at home mums, they 'work' too and their job is way more important than something interchangeable like working for a company, only a mother can look after her own children properly.
I dislike it when people complain when they probably enjoyed their mum being there for them after school, with home cooked meals, clean clothes and hugs on demand.

If you placed an economic value on housewives, they'd be worth a lot to the economy hundreds of thousands of pounds per year per housewife iirc because you have add up the value of their output (cleaning, cooking nutritious food, providing critical motherly care to the children which cannot be matched by a nanny etc) and you'd have to take into account the effect it has on their children's lives which is generally a very positive one.

To answer the OP, if the mother wants to work then it's up to her but the father should aim to earn sufficiently enough that she doesn't have to. It will be far too difficult in most cases for a mother to work, look after children etc. simultaneously without it having a severely negative effect on her health and well-being and on the family itself.
Prokaryotic_crap
Yes, it is a God given duty for the husband to take care and provide for his household.

Personally, I love it, being able to take care and provide for my wife and children, and I would feel actually embarrassed if I couldn't, or worse, if my wife provided for me.

This...

my wife should never have to work...only if she chooses to herself
92greenbottles
Please find something more interesting to do than try to correct every mistake people make. Yes I accidentally put an apostrophe where I shouldn't. But who actually cares? Focus on fixing your own shortcoming instead of trying to highlight other people's to make you feel smart. :smile:

I don't have any shortcomings.
Arturo Bandini
I don't have any shortcomings.

Haha, good good. then continue your correcting.:yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending