The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ilovemeow
As a girl I couldn't help but wondering whether guys actually LIKE being a provider and gain some kind of happiness or satisfaction from knowing that their woman is provided for or if they find it some kind of chore and feel that they are required to do it because of the way men are expected to behave.

Some boys I've talked to consider it a burden having a female depending on them for financial support whilst other tell me they absolutely LOVE it and that they would happily do it because they know its their duty.

Just wondering what the general opinions here on TSR were.

Yes, it is a God given duty for the husband to take care and provide for his household.

Personally, I love it, being able to take care and provide for my wife and children, and I would feel actually embarrassed if I couldn't, or worse, if my wife provided for me.
Reply 2
I wouldn't want to be the sole provider. When I have a wife I would want her to work as well, there's no reason why she shouldn't be working and earning money too. As the man, yeah I guess I would prefer if I was earning more money than her, but I wouldn't like it if she is just doing nothing and just stays at home or goes shopping while I'm the only person who is earning money.

Also it's the attitude because I find that women who have never worked in their life are total idiots and have a bad attitude. My mum has never really worked and hasn't had a job in like 20 years, and her along with all the other women I know who just rely on their husbands for everything tend to be stupid, annoying, complain too much, and expect too much from society when they don't give anything back in return - and that's something I'm not attracted to and not something I can live with. Women who work are more mature and don't act like idiots, and they have better personalities, more reasonable and rational people, etc.
If it is a mans duty to provide, is it a woman's duty to cook, clean and look after children? Things work both ways.
I'll be the breadwinner if she cooks, cleans, raises the children and puts out on command.

And since I enjoy cooking, this gets a staunch 'no' from me.
nahh this isnt 1850
Reply 6
My my, what double standards...
Reply 7
Koobideh
I wouldn't want to be the sole provider. When I have a wife I would want her to work as well, there's no reason why she shouldn't be working and earning money too. As the man, yeah I guess I would prefer if I was earning more money than her, but I wouldn't like it if she is just doing nothing and just stays at home or goes shopping while I'm the only person who is earning money.

Also it's the attitude because I find that women who have never worked in their life are total idiots and have a bad attitude. My mum has never really worked and hasn't had a job in like 20 years, and her along with all the other women I know who just rely on their husbands for everything tend to be stupid, annoying, complain too much, and expect too much from society when they don't give anything back in return - and that's something I'm not attracted to and not something I can live with. Women who work are more mature and don't act like idiots, and they have better personalities, more reasonable and rational people, etc.

So do you expect a women to work, raise children and take care of the household? Because someone has to, especially when the kids are very young and need their mother. So who would take care of your brothers and sisters (if you have any) whilst your mum is out working? Sorry but I don't like it when people degrade stay at home mums, they 'work' too and their job is way more important than something interchangeable like working for a company, only a mother can look after her own children properly.
I dislike it when people complain when they probably enjoyed their mum being there for them after school, with home cooked meals, clean clothes and hugs on demand.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
ilovemeow
As a girl I couldn't help but wondering whether guys actually LIKE being a provider and gain some kind of happiness or satisfaction from knowing that their woman is provided for or if they find it some kind of chore and feel that they are required to do it because of the way men are expected to behave.

Some boys I've talked to consider it a burden having a female depending on them for financial support whilst other tell me they absolutely LOVE it and that they would happily do it because they know its their duty.

Yea, of course - I get great satisfaction from using my strength and ingenuity to gather resources for women and the young. Any guy who doesn't should check where his balls went.

It doesn't mean I'd like some bitch wife who spends all my money on crap - she ought to be grateful for it and repay me by being kind and lovely.
ilovemeow

if you are with someone and love them, then you want to help them. so if you can provide for them that makes you feel good.
also i think men are better suited to make money as testosterone drives one to success.
Seems a bit stupid to ask this on a student forum where presumably 99% of the people here don't have full time jobs and are too young to have any dependables..

I'm a bit uneasy with the idea of being the provider since it seems to take away from the independence of the woman. When my parents got divorced my mum was pretty screwed for that reason; she hadn't had a full time job in a while so it was difficult for her to start up a career, which ended up being something she really regretted. I'd rather a girlfriend/wife kept her independence and job so she's staying with me because she chooses to be, rather than because she's financially dependent on me.

But I have a while to go yet, maybe I'll be happy with the idea in 20 years when/if I have a wife and kids.
(edited 13 years ago)
MJlover
So do you expect a women to work, raise children and take care of the household? Because someone has to, especially when the kids are very young and need their mother. So who would take care of your brothers and sisters (if you have any) whilst your mum is out working? Sorry but I don't like it when people degrade stay at home mums, they 'work' too and their job is way more important than something interchangeable like working for a company, only a mother can look after her own children properly.
I dislike it when people complain when they probably enjoyed their mum being there for them after school, with home cooked meals, clean clothes and hugs on demand.

Exactly - being a "good mother" and general housewife is such a noble and good occupation, in my eyes. I have the utmost respect for any woman who does that well.

Like my mother for instance. She started working part time when my siblings and I were all in secondary school, and then became full time a bit later. But while we were kids, we were her job.

I think it's a bit of a shame that many people these days hate on that traditional role and persuade women that it is not an acceptable thing to do, that they have to go and work in an office somewhere to earn the money to pay for a child minder and nursery...
ciawhobat
Yea, of course - I get great satisfaction from using my strength and ingenuity to gather resources for women and the young. Any guy who doesn't should check where his balls went.

It doesn't mean I'd like some bitch wife who spends all my money on crap - she ought to be grateful for it and repay me by being kind and lovely.

Yeah that's the main reason I'd hate it. I'd hate to feel like I had to do something because my husband made all the money. And I'd feel I couldn't spend too much money on something just for me if it wasn't my money. Separate accounts and our own money will be perfect :smile:
I do feel this way, and its important, more so when you are a male (imo) to choose a more stable career. Although its quite pointless asking this forum as men dont particularly become a provider so to speak when they are married, and most people here cant even talk to the opposite sex :ahee: ..so a long way to go to be asking that question:p:
MJlover

Are you serious? Only a mother? What about their father? What if the woman went to work and the man stayed at home and looked after the kids and the house? Would that be acceptable?
Depends who you are. I feel like i would but i'd also like to look after my kid's. It's all just personal preference.
92greenbottles
Depends who you are. I feel like i would but i'd also like to look after my kid's. It's all just personal preference.

Look after your kid's what?
Reply 17
Arturo Bandini
Are you serious? Only a mother? What about their father? What if the woman went to work and the man stayed at home and looked after the kids and the house? Would that be acceptable?

It doesn't matter, anyways my response made more sense when looking at the post I was quoting.
(edited 13 years ago)
DaveSmith99
If it is a mans duty to provide, is it a woman's duty to cook, clean and look after children? Things work both ways.

nooOOO but isn't that sexist/!??!
I really enjoyed being in employment in my gap year: I felt mentally and physically challenged, I had responsibility and power, I had to make decisions that affected the business, I had duties to fulfil and targets to exceed, I had a role in society, contact with the public, provided for the economy and had self respect for earning my own wage and not depending on someone else to feed and house me.
If that was taken away from me, and I was resigned to sitting in the house all day doing a bit of housework, I would have none of this, and would feel sub-human and infantile. I'd loathe it, and I simply am unable to comprehend women who do this for decades of their life.

Also, I don't understand the feminist lecture about "housework is work too just like employment, but it's unpaid" - you're an adult, you're supposed to clean up after yourself and cook for yourself, that's not employment, claiming that it's a sign of patriarchal oppression that housework is unpaid is utter idiocy.

Latest

Trending

Trending