The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey!

I think I may have made a mistake by directly ordering my computer parts without checking their proper compatibility, or having other people take a look at my set-up.

My order should come in by Monday. I'm excited as it's my first build but also wary because well, I don't want to mess it up.

This is what I bought:

RAM: G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor (I don't run multiple programmes at the same time so thought that this would suffice)
Processor cooler: Antec Kuhler H20 620
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI DisplayPort 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
GPU: Palit GTX 680 2GB GDDR5
Case: NZXT Full Tower Case (white)
Power supply: Corsair 1050W HX Series Modular (appears to be an overkill, but hoping in the near future to SLI)
Optical drive: LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5
HDD: WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Black Hard Drive - 7200rpm 64MB Cache
Wireless: Trendnet 300mbps Wireless N Pci Adapter

Software, thermal paste, speakers, anti-static wristband and cooling fans (from NZXT as well). Am I missing anything? Have I bought any items that are incompatible? Did I buy anything too early?
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone recommend using air dusters to clean my internal pc parts?

This weekend i need to clean em up.

Got three canisters of air dusters that are yet to be used....
Original post by Tzarchasm
Hey!

I think I may have made a mistake by directly ordering my computer parts without checking their proper compatibility, or having other people take a look at my set-up.

My order should come in by Monday. I'm excited as it's my first build but also wary because well, I don't want to mess it up.

This is what I bought:

RAM: G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor (I don't run multiple programmes at the same time so thought that this would suffice)
Processor cooler: Antec Kuhler H20 620
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI DisplayPort 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
GPU: Palit GTX 680 2GB GDDR5
Case: NZXT Full Tower Case (white)
Power supply: Corsair 1050W HX Series Modular (appears to be an overkill, but hoping in the near future to SLI)
Optical drive: LiteOn iHAS124 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5
HDD: WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Black Hard Drive - 7200rpm 64MB Cache
Wireless: Trendnet 300mbps Wireless N Pci Adapter

Software, thermal paste, speakers, anti-static wristband and cooling fans (from NZXT as well). Am I missing anything? Have I bought any items that are incompatible? Did I buy anything too early?

Everything seems fine in all honesty..........you got plenty of sata connections for your hdd,sdd and optical drive.
Plenty of slots for the wireless and gpu................
I checked the ram, which is supported by your board, so everything seems fine.
Original post by James A
Does anyone recommend using air dusters to clean my internal pc parts?

This weekend i need to clean em up.

Got three canisters of air dusters that are yet to be used....

Yea air dusters are fine. Pretty much the best way imo to get all the dust out.

Much better than hoovers lol.
Original post by ELs123
Yea air dusters are fine. Pretty much the best way imo to get all the dust out.

Much better than hoovers lol.

Yeah hoovers build up static, which is bad for the internal parts?
Original post by James A
Yeah hoovers build up static, which is bad for the internal parts?

Yup, and I knew a guy who sucked off a bunch of capacitors from his mobo
Original post by ELs123
Yup, and I knew a guy who sucked off a bunch of capacitors from his mobo

lmao
Original post by Iqbal007
Everything seems fine in all honesty..........you got plenty of sata connections for your hdd,sdd and optical drive.
Plenty of slots for the wireless and gpu................
I checked the ram, which is supported by your board, so everything seems fine.

Thanks dude! I really appreciate the input. What about the items themselves? Did I buy anything that isn't worth the money or isn't up-to-scratch?
Thanks dude! I really appreciate the input. What about the items themselves? Did I buy anything that isn't worth the money or isn't up-to-scratch?

Well everything seems upto scratch.......I actually bought the same optical drive this week.
Your not planning on doing anything major like video editing, etc and your just using everything for gaming from seeing your gpu so the processor and mobo, etc seem perfectly fine.
Original post by SMed
I'd recommend this!

I was never into PCs and games really, then decided my old laptop needed to be replaced. Set out to build a cheap basic £300 PC out of secondhand parts.

£850 later...

BRB 4.5GHz OC'd 2500K...
BRB playing Deus Ex...
BRB playing Batman...
BRB playing Rage...

:biggrin:

I think I've reached a compromise -I'm going to buy the parts now and put them together, except for the GPU which I'll leave till the summer so I won't start gaming right away!

And after looking around I decided against the AMD -now going for a socket 1155 celeron g530 (£32!!) as it's an alright cpu now and allows me to upgrade right up to i5 2500ks and up should I wish. I read that it was likely amd would stop using the fm1 this year so I'd need not only a new cpu but a mobo and win7 (using oem locked to mobo) so it's much better to get the slighlty worse one now!

Thanks for your help!
Been looking for a machine that will get me through uni, just word processing and stuff like that and a bit of programming etc. Not for gaming at all, came up with this as I have a limited budget of around £400 i've already got a OS and monitor and keyboard and stuff.

rig.PNG
Guys, I'm struggling a lot with my computer build. All the components are in. What I'm finding really, really difficult is the cable management; what plugs into what, data connections, power supplies, motherboard connections, fan control, what type of cables to use for what, etc,.

It's just a massive pain and I've spent the last 4 hours reading over what to do, watching videos on Youtube and I'm still not getting it.
Reply 6792
Guys, I'm struggling a lot with my computer build. All the components are in. What I'm finding really, really difficult is the cable management; what plugs into what, data connections, power supplies, motherboard connections, fan control, what type of cables to use for what, etc,.

It's just a massive pain and I've spent the last 4 hours reading over what to do, watching videos on Youtube and I'm still not getting it.

Should all be in your motherboard manual. My gigabyte guide was very clear.

Shouldn't take 4 hours :s-smilie:

Optical drive and Harddrive will have a sata connection which look like these cables SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg
which connect the optical drive and harddrive to the motherboard which look like these satamobo.jpg

The power to the optical drive and harddrive are the same and look like this 22-145-005-04.jpg
The cable for the power from the power supply should like this sata-hard-drive-power-cable-connector.jpg which connect up.

To connect up fans, depends on the motherboard you have these 3/4 pin connectors 4in4a.jpg which is where you connect up the fan, otherwise you need to use a molex converter.

For the motherboard power connection it should be the big one and should connect up like this 20-into-24-pin.jpg.

For a graphics card it depends for example Digital-Alliance-GTX-470-Power-Pin.jpg this one needs 2, 6 pin connectors which look like this pcie-connectors.jpg

If you got any other issues then please ask :smile:
Original post by DannyR2811
Been looking for a machine that will get me through uni, just word processing and stuff like that and a bit of programming etc. Not for gaming at all, came up with this as I have a limited budget of around £400 i've already got a OS and monitor and keyboard and stuff.

rig.PNG

Case looks fine, though metal might be a bit flimsy.

The power supply is a huge overkill on your system, another thing is that cheap power supplies don't exactly live up to the job, says 750 watt, but you'll get less in reality and are more likely to fail.

The processor will definitely meet your needs and give a bit extra.

The motherboard is good and does the job you need, allows future expansion for the new processors, but no sli or crossfire.

You got more than enough ram, just remember you need a 64bit OS if your PC is going to use 4gb or more.

GT520 will pretty much meet all your needs, as well as entertainment and some light gaming in modern games surprisingly.

HDD storage should be enough.

SSD for bootup,etc should be enough.

Not sure if you'll honestly need another fan, you'll get more than enough airflow from the 2 from the case and as your not overclocking, though it would be nice to place it on the side near the cpu or gpu for better cooling.

Optical drive is good.

edit: forgot to say why you buying a cpu cooler?
(edited 12 years ago)
Case looks fine, though metal might be a bit flimsy.

The power supply is a huge overkill on your system, another thing is that cheap power supplies don't exactly live up to the job, says 750 watt, but you'll a less in reality and are more likely to fail.

The processor will definitely meet your needs and give a bit extra.

The motherboard is good and does the job you need, allows future expansion for the new processors, but no sli or crossfire.

You got more than enough ram, just remember you need a 64bit OS if your PC is going to use 4gb or more.

GT520 will pretty much meet all your needs, as well as entertainment and some light gaming in modern games surprisingly.

HDD storage should be enough.

SSD for bootup,etc should be enough.

Not sure if you'll honestly need another fan, you'll get more than enough airflow from the 2 from the case and as your not overclocking, though it would be nice to place it on the side near the cpu or gpu for better cooling.

Optical drive is good.

Kasmay Bruv u proppa kno wat ya tlking bout nd dat innit
Reply 6796
Hey, what is the difference b/w - Intel Core i3 2330 2.2GHz & - Intel Core i3 Sandybridge 2310M 2.10GHz? (laptop)
Original post by Wahala
Hey, what is the difference b/w - Intel Core i3 2330 2.2GHz & - Intel Core i3 Sandybridge 2310M 2.10GHz? (laptop)

Based on from what Intel's site says
http://ark.intel.com/products/53434/Intel-Core-i3-2330M-Processor-(3M-Cache-2_20-GHz)#
http://ark.intel.com/products/52220/Intel-Core-i3-2310M-Processor-(3M-Cache-2_10-GHz)

Is that 2330M is just slightly faster and has a better bus/core ratio which is a bit more complicated but basically it runs the system better.
Reply 6798

Thanks.
Quick question folks.

Apart from online retailers having special offers, is anything happening in the next two months which will have an impact on component choices I should make for a gaming rig? Budget will be around £800. Basically any new tech coming out in the mid price bracket like new GPU's?

Basically I was going to price up a build now, but if something significant will impact it then I won't. I hear Ivy bridge is coming out..but that should just lower the price of the I5's if anything..

Latest

Trending

Trending