The Student Room Group
Original post by Revent
That also looks good :tongue: So many choices! It's got a lot of room for fans as well!

OC'ing, I like to OC quite a bit :tongue: My current one is at 3.9 Ghz and stock is 2.8 :tongue: (i7 930).

He wants to play all of them, as well as the one that is coming out :lol: I'm not sure if it's possible to play it (at a reasonable quality) with that budget but I may be wrong!

Well check their reviews out carefully for performance, etc

well i5s tend to go around 4.3-4.5ghz.......

Well thats going to be very hard on a laptop, gt630m is the best I can find from a reliable maker with an i5.....
Reply 9741
Hi these are my the specs for an upcoming build in the summer, i was just wondering if i should get a single nvidian titan or a dual sli gtx 780?

These are my specs:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K (Oossilby OC'ing to 4.5 ghz later)
Memory: Corsair Dominator 16GB (2X8gb-1866MHz)
GPU: Nvidia Titan
Liquid Cooling: Corsair Hydro H110 liquid cooler
SSD: Samsung 840 series PRO 128GB 2.5 inch
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
Optical Drive: LG Blu ray
Monitor: Iiyama PLG2773HS HD 27"
Original post by Cad10
Hi these are my the specs for an upcoming build in the summer, i was just wondering if i should get a single nvidian titan or a dual sli gtx 780?

These are my specs:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K (Oossilby OC'ing to 4.5 ghz later)
Memory: Corsair Dominator 16GB (2X8gb-1866MHz)
GPU: Nvidia Titan
Liquid Cooling: Corsair Hydro H110 liquid cooler
SSD: Samsung 840 series PRO 128GB 2.5 inch
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm

Just wondering, how much is that build totalling up to? Where are you buying all the parts from.
Original post by Cad10

These are my specs:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D lovely case :biggrin:
PSU: Corsair TX850W good
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 good on a budget, but would have looked at the asus mobos
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K (Oossilby OC'ing to 4.5 ghz later) if its for gaming, i7 is pointless
Memory: Corsair Dominator 16GB (2X8gb-1866MHz) more than enough
GPU: Nvidia Titan i'll give more details later
Liquid Cooling: Corsair Hydro H110 liquid cooler from my understanding its a small improvement, some people think its not worth it compared to the H100 I recall
SSD: Samsung 840 series PRO 128GB 2.5 inch good
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm good

One IMPORTANT thing, to point out this summer the new Haswell chips are out, not a massive improvement as its focused on power efficiency and integrated graphics...............but the vital thing is that the new chips are for a new socket, so a new chipset, so getting one would be good for future upgrades.

Personally think your going way overkill with the gpu, especially as your playing on one screen, most people have stuck with a gtx670 in the recent range. The new GTX780 is actually based on the gpu from Titan, just less stream processors, etc and a reduced price.
But you'll still get a lot out of it.
Reply 9744
Original post by Jiraya Sama
Just wondering, how much is that build totalling up to? Where are you buying all the parts from.

The total is £2,392
i am buying it all from Scan.co.uk (you get a installment warranty)
Reply 9745
Original post by Iqbal007
One IMPORTANT thing, to point out this summer the new Haswell chips are out, not a massive improvement as its focused on power efficiency and integrated graphics...............but the vital thing is that the new chips are for a new socket, so a new chipset, so getting one would be good for future upgrades.

Personally think your going way overkill with the gpu, especially as your playing on one screen, most people have stuck with a gtx670 in the recent range. The new GTX780 is actually based on the gpu from Titan, just less stream processors, etc and a reduced price.
But you'll still get a lot out of it.

Ok cool thanks for the suggestions :smile:
Reply 9746
Well check their reviews out carefully for performance, etc

well i5s tend to go around 4.3-4.5ghz.......

Well thats going to be very hard on a laptop, gt630m is the best I can find from a reliable maker with an i5.....

I think the newer i series can do that :tongue: My one is the 930.

Well, he doesn't mind playing it on the lowest settings :lol: Any suggestions would be great :smile:
Original post by Revent
I think the newer i series can do that :tongue: My one is the 930.

Well, he doesn't mind playing it on the lowest settings :lol: Any suggestions would be great :smile:

Yeah but 2nd gen was 4.5, 3rd gen became more unstable as they decided to change a few things.

Best I can find from a reliable maker is something with a gt635m

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_Z580_1336880.html
Hi, seems like quite basic usage.............any features you'd like?
budget?
is your preference the vaio s? and where have you been looking at for the vaio?

Hi,

hmmm, do you need to build right now? As the new haswell chips are coming out along with a new chipset........and the new gtx7xx series from Nvidia is slowly coming onto the market.

Does budget include things like screen, etc?

For architecture, from Apple, Macbook pro range only .......
You can also definitely pick up other very powerful laptops at the same price range, but usually lower priced, better spec, as well built, but usually heavier and not as good looking.

Before buying, ask the department about the software you'll be using, so it gives a better idea.

Thanks! Do you have any laptops to recommend ? I'm quite lenient on price as I want this laptop to last me a while!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebe230253
Thanks! Do you have any laptops to recommend ? I'm quite lenient on price as I want this laptop to last me a while!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well ideally you want a i7 processor, at least 8gb of ram and a dedicated graphics card, for the software as they are require quite a lot of power to run smoothly and fast. Not to forget a relatively large HDD for storage as well as multiple backups.

I can't say for certain, but I recommend that you send an email to the uni your going to and ask about the programs used, etc before deciding.........also try to get in contact with a current student for some advice on that matter then come back on here.......
Hey, my cousin is looking for an average gaming pc that runs new games atleast on medium graphics on 60fps and he also wants to do some casual editing on photoshop etc. His budget is £500 but hes willing to go up £550. I'm not sure where to look so can you help me?
Original post by liquidant
Hey, my cousin is looking for an average gaming pc that runs new games atleast on medium graphics on 60fps and he also wants to do some casual editing on photoshop etc. His budget is £500 but hes willing to go up £550. I'm not sure where to look so can you help me?

is he looking to build a pc or get one made?
also does it include Windows?
include the screen, etc?
which games?
is he looking to build a pc or get one made?
also does it include Windows?
include the screen, etc?
which games?

A pre made pc
Yes to be included by windows (preferably windows 7) and a screen around about 20"
He wants to try new games like Metro:Last light but also free to play games like League of legends, Plantside 2 etc
A pre made pc
Yes to be included by windows (preferably windows 7) and a screen around about 20"
He wants to try new games like Metro:Last light but also free to play games like League of legends, Plantside 2 etc

Its going to be an issue to be fair, most custom sites allow you to choose between windows 7 and 8.
However, you wont get the best deal, best I can find is something with a basic motherboard, without a decent graphics card...........if he wants a decent graphics card, best I can find is a GTX650 with a AMD quadcore processor....without a screen but £449, so he's got about £100 to spend in a decent screen. Is that fine with him?
Its going to be an issue to be fair, most custom sites allow you to choose between windows 7 and 8.
However, you wont get the best deal, best I can find is something with a basic motherboard, without a decent graphics card...........if he wants a decent graphics card, best I can find is a GTX650 with a AMD quadcore processor....without a screen but £449, so he's got about £100 to spend in a decent screen. Is that fine with him?

He says he is fine with it and thanks, but he is asking how much must he raise his budget for find a better deal with a better graphics card and processor?
He says he is fine with it and thanks, but he is asking how much must he raise his budget for find a better deal with a better graphics card and processor?

This is the tower....just go into customise, change to windows 7, etc you could get a screen from them, but the LG 21.5" 22EN33S-B LED onwards is any good as its full HD. He should also consider spending a bit more for the 550watt psu in case of future upgrades.

He could check out the gt650 gaming performance on youtube if he wants along with.......they have options for better graphics cards as well and possible psu, motherboard, etc.

http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/-b-NEW-b-Gallant-AMD-4130-93p1636.htm

Well the issue with getting a better graphics card and processor is the cost, it spirals, especially if you're not building it yourself. If someone built it, at the £550 range without OS, you could get a i5 with a 7850HD running.
Reply 9756
Gaming PC.jpg

Hi I'm looking to build a gaming PC this summer and have a budget of around £600-£700. Can anybody check the parts above and comment if there's anything I could change in this price range to improve performance. I'd like to play games like Bioshock infinte and Battle Field 3 atMax settings.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Gooteckz
Gaming PC.jpg

Hi I'm looking to build a gaming PC this summer and have a budget of around £600-£700. Can anybody check the parts above and comment if there's anything I could change in this price range to improve performance. I'd like to play games like Bioshock infinte and Battle Field 3 atMax settings.

That mobo and cpu are incompatible. The mobo is for Haswell cpus. You picked a Ivybridge cpu which fits 1155 sockets. RAM seems way too expensive, should be half the price. You could also save £30-40 on the tower too. Put all that money into your gpu.

Edit: Wow, what happened to RAM prices? You could still shave £10-20 off of the RAM.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9758
Original post by alexs2602
That mobo and cpu are incompatible. The mobo is for Haswell cpus. You picked a Ivybridge cpu which fits 1155 sockets. RAM seems way too expensive, should be half the price. You could also save £30-40 on the tower too. Put all that money into your gpu.

Edit: Wow, what happened to RAM prices? You could still shave £10-20 off of the RAM.

Thanks. How is this set up below?

GPU: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-285-AS

CPU: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-432-IN

Power: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-056-AK

RAM: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-094-KS

HDD: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-366-WD

Motherboard: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-206-MS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1965

DVD Drive: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CD-090-LG

Also I'm stuck atm finding a mid-tower that is at the smaller end in size.
Original post by alexs2602

Ram prices have skyrocketed, from what I know, it may be a hint towards the introduction of ddr4 ram.

Overclockers tend to charge for p+p if your not a member of their forum, etc and can be a bit expensive.

Considering you got a mATX board..............i'm thinking your actually looking for a mATX case?

like this http://www.ebuyer.com/270599-fractal-design-core-1000-microatx-case-fd-ca-core-1000-bl

Latest

Trending

Trending