The Student Room Group
Reply 9760
Original post by Iqbal007
Ram prices have skyrocketed, from what I know, it may be a hint towards the introduction of ddr4 ram.

Overclockers tend to charge for p+p if your not a member of their forum, etc and can be a bit expensive.

Considering you got a mATX board..............i'm thinking your actually looking for a mATX case?

like this http://www.ebuyer.com/270599-fractal-design-core-1000-microatx-case-fd-ca-core-1000-bl

Ahhh I see. That was a mistake, I'm actually looking for a ATX motherboard and case. What would you recommend for the motherboard,case and power supply?

Thanks for the above.
Original post by Gooteckz
Ahhh I see. That was a mistake, I'm actually looking for a ATX motherboard and case. What would you recommend for the motherboard,case and power supply?

Thanks for the above.

well to be fair. a ATX mobo is gonna cost quite a bit.........

Case wise, Corsair 300r, Antec 300 2 or get a fractal design or coolermaster..........psu corsair cx600 or the m version which is part modular.
Reply 9762
well to be fair. a ATX mobo is gonna cost quite a bit.........

Case wise, Corsair 300r, Antec 300 2 or get a fractal design or coolermaster..........psu corsair cx600 or the m version which is part modular.

How about the Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard? it's around £83.99 on Amazon. For casing I've decided to go with the Define R4
Original post by Gooteckz
How about the Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard? it's around £83.99 on Amazon. For casing I've decided to go with the Define R4

That or the Gigabyte d3h-z77 are the best choices available, Asus suite 2 is really good piece of software.
Case is good and good soundproofing, also think about a few extra case fans, otherwise check ebuyer, they are doing a cm 690 ii with a 650watt psu bronze certified for around £100 or with the enforcer case http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=price+descending&12=Yes&cat=23&page=1
hey guys,

So I'm trying to build a beast PC into as small a case as I can for easy travel to uni and back between terms. I'm thinking of the sugo sg05. I was wondering if a a msi twin froz 3 graphics card would fit inside? It has a stated length of 10.28 inches (roughly 262mm) and the internal length of the sg05 is supposedly 267mm. Can anyone confirm this as manufacturer's always have slightly different ways of measuring stuff so I don't necessarily trust what I read, especially when the margin I have to play with is very tiny. I could probably fit in a 670 in there but they tend to be quite a bit more expensive than a 7950.
Reply 9765
Sounds like the GPU will fit? Only way to know for sure is to ask someone who has one with that GPU...

Alternatively, get the same case as me - Cooler Master 120. Slightly bigger, accepts "standard" ATX components (PSU, optical drive, e.t.c.), so if you get an ATX box you don't have to replace anything. Massive GPU bay too, but I'm planning on modding it to improve airflow!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by benzeman
Sounds like the GPU will fit? Only way to know for sure is to ask someone who has one with that GPU...

Alternatively, get the same case as me - Cooler Master 120. Slightly bigger, accepts "standard" ATX components (PSU, optical drive, e.t.c.), so if you get an ATX box you don't have to replace anything. Massive GPU bay too, but I'm planning on modding it to improve airflow!

Yeah I've looked at larger case like the cm120 and node 304 but they still seem a tad too big for me. 27.5cm compared to around 37cm for the other 2. I don't really have a lot of friends that are computer savvy and the one that is uses a different GPU. I'll ask around on other forums too.
(edited 10 years ago)

Yes they should be...........however be aware that pcpartpicker, is always out of date, and limited, so doesn't actually give you the best deal.

One thing I would change is the suppliers, stick to ebuyer, amazon, scan and novatech, the less suppliers the better. Of which Ebuyer, amazon and novatech all generally offer free shipping, and anything other product added to a free shipping item is also shipped free.

One thing I should point out is that the aftermarket cooler comes with a small syringe of their cooling compound.

Not sure on the pci network card card though whether it'll fit, nor do I understand why your getting one, as your motherboard has one, infact all motherboards do.

The graphics card price is out of date, its £130 on offer, however its the 1gb version. 2gb version is far better these day, some games use it a lot like GTA series, They tend to do good deals but costly p+p cheaper then rivals, consider only for the gpu. http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/12638311/art/generique/radeon-hd-7870-oem-2-gb-g.html

You also forgot to get a dvd drive, about £13 from ebuyer.

Also understand the limitations of a cheaper and a mATX mobo, eg only 4 sata ports of which 2 are taken up by the dvd drive and the first 1tb hdd. And that you have 6 usb's at the back, no support for usb 3.0. The cpu power pin is in a weird place in my opinion.
Also its a older motherboard version, so be aware that the bios may not be up to date to run the 8320, so you may end up sending it back for them to update it themselves and regive it back to you.

Not a fan of the case maker, but it should do, often see it as a favourite for budget gaming pcs on sale.
Yes they should be...........however be aware that pcpartpicker, is always out of date, and limited, so doesn't actually give you the best deal.

One thing I would change is the suppliers, stick to ebuyer, amazon, scan and novatech, the less suppliers the better. Of which Ebuyer, amazon and novatech all generally offer free shipping, and anything other product added to a free shipping item is also shipped free.

One thing I should point out is that the aftermarket cooler comes with a small syringe of their cooling compound.

Not sure on the pci network card card though whether it'll fit, nor do I understand why your getting one, as your motherboard has one, infact all motherboards do.

The graphics card price is out of date, its £130 on offer, however its the 1gb version. 2gb version is far better these day, some games use it a lot like GTA series, They tend to do good deals but costly p+p cheaper then rivals, consider only for the gpu. http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/12638311/art/generique/radeon-hd-7870-oem-2-gb-g.html

You also forgot to get a dvd drive, about £13 from ebuyer.

Also understand the limitations of a cheaper and a mATX mobo, eg only 4 sata ports of which 2 are taken up by the dvd drive and the first 1tb hdd. And that you have 6 usb's at the back, no support for usb 3.0. The cpu power pin is in a weird place in my opinion.
Also its a older motherboard version, so be aware that the bios may not be up to date to run the 8320, so you may end up sending it back for them to update it themselves and regive it back to you.

Not a fan of the case maker, but it should do, often see it as a favourite for budget gaming pcs on sale.

:biggrin: Thanks
Is this of worth it and what games can it handle (Dota2) ?
http://m.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechblacknta12.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laithmo96
:biggrin: Thanks
Is this of worth it and what games can it handle (Dota2) ?
http://m.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechblacknta12.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dota2 isn't very hard compared to other games like Crysis 3, metro, etc
Also you better off building it yourself.
Dota2 isn't very hard compared to other games like Crysis 3, metro, etc
Also you better off building it yourself.

Thanks again for all the help, what motherboard would you suggest to go with be gpu (Y)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laithmo96
Thanks again for all the help, what motherboard would you suggest to go with be gpu (Y)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the other one is find for the average user, though have usb3.0 would be a nice feature.....as well as extra 3/4pin connectors for fans
Asus tend to provide a nice software package for use.
Reply 9773
planning on buying this: http://lifebook.uk.ts.fujitsu.com/products/pure-elegance/lifebook-u772.html?gclid=CIPw7aGc2rcCFQ3KtAodzHcAjg

thoughts? should i buy it? i need something portable and light with good battery life, also i don't like windows 8 and that touch screen crap
The thread is being closed having hit the 10,0000 post limit, new one will be up shortly to continue conversations.

Original post by smd4std
planning on buying this: http://lifebook.uk.ts.fujitsu.com/products/pure-elegance/lifebook-u772.html?gclid=CIPw7aGc2rcCFQ3KtAodzHcAjg

thoughts? should i buy it? i need something portable and light with good battery life, also i don't like windows 8 and that touch screen crap

At what spec/price? What will you be using it for?
(edited 10 years ago)
Nicely spec'd and Lenovo are a fantastic brand, it would be a good choice :yy: I'll have a look at other options tomorrow, and I can't comment on laptop trays.

A quick search on eBuyer is showing 500GB USB 3.0 hard drives for under £40, so that's probably a decent indicator.

Latest

Trending

Trending