The Student Room Group
yy1=m(xx1) y - y_1 = m(x-x_1)

m = gradient....sub in the values and rearrange to get y and you're sorted :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
ah yes cheers m8, how stupid. ty
No question is stupid :smile: anytime!
jimbo lad

i know gradient is (10 - 4)/ (7 - 1)

so gradient is 6/5x

You might want to check that arithematic.
^^ agreed, totally missed that.
ghostwalker
You might want to check that arithematic.

Eh?

I'm not keen on the x following his number either.
Spelling nazi's in the math forum.....dear me, what will they think of next lol....
the gradient is 1 not 6/5x, a gradient never has an x attached to it
boromir9111
Spelling nazi's in the math forum.....dear me, what will they think of next lol....

Isn't arithematic a member of Scissor Sisters?

y = mx + c

you worked out m, and you have two examples of (x,y) pairs that definitely work (since the whole point is that it passes through them), so use that to find c, and once you have m and c that's it, you've uniquely defined the line.
Mr M
Eh?

I'm not keen on the x following his number either.

I was more concerned with the 7-1.

And I always have to think when it comes to spelling arithmetic, unfortunately my fingers don't always type what's gong (!) through my head, so two opportunties to screw up.
Mr M
Isn't arithematic a member of Scissor Sisters?

Cool picture. Where did you get that from? Not sure your Mrs would be too fond of it lol :p:
boromir9111
Cool picture. Where did you get that from? Not sure your Mrs would be too fond of it lol :p:

She's reading over my shoulder. Stop trying to get me into trouble.
Mr M
She's reading over my shoulder. Stop trying to get me into trouble.

Lol. Nice try. You should give comedy a try along side teaching maths, you seriously have some talent there :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
haha sorry peeps i feel well silly now, and ye i know about the x thing but i usually put it there just for working things out because it helps me to understand its the gradient.
Don't worry about it, just don't do it in the exam and you'll be fine :biggrin:

Latest