The Student Room Group

Year 9

Hi, I'm in year 9 and I have moved to a lot better school (to start year 9). I was the smartest at my old school but now i find myself in more competition. I find that I don't get the best in the subjects that I'm good at (although I still get quite scores in most subject). Every time when I get home I do my homework the first thing, then play my instrument (i'm now grade 8) and just chill. But the amount of homework I get isn't much, so I have a huge amount of time to chill. But this is making me worried, I feel like I shouldn't just be 'wasting' my time like that. Should I start maybe doing something productive? e.g. revising, but I don't have any tests coming up and I undertsand most of the contents. So one of the questions are is it okay to just chill? Will it affect my GCSEs? Furthermore there's one more concerning thing, in year 7 and 8, i was very quick and good at maths, but in year 9 I find myself starting to be less quick, and less sharp at those simple calculations, I find myself taking more time to solve a simple question. Although I still have my skills, and I can solve some complicated questions, but I feel like I'm getting slower, same with physics, I always forget som equations and convert the units. Is this normal for year 9s to find things harder or am I just getting more dumb and needs more practise? Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Maxi2009
Hi, I'm in year 9 and I have moved to a lot better school (to start year 9). I was the smartest at my old school but now i find myself in more competition. I find that I don't get the best in the subjects that I'm good at (although I still get quite scores in most subject). Every time when I get home I do my homework the first thing, then play my instrument (i'm now grade 8) and just chill. But the amount of homework I get isn't much, so I have a huge amount of time to chill. But this is making me worried, I feel like I shouldn't just be 'wasting' my time like that. Should I start maybe doing something productive? e.g. revising, but I don't have any tests coming up and I undertsand most of the contents. So one of the questions are is it okay to just chill? Will it affect my GCSEs? Furthermore there's one more concerning thing, in year 7 and 8, i was very quick and good at maths, but in year 9 I find myself starting to be less quick, and less sharp at those simple calculations, I find myself taking more time to solve a simple question. Although I still have my skills, and I can solve some complicated questions, but I feel like I'm getting slower, same with physics, I always forget som equations and convert the units. Is this normal for year 9s to find things harder or am I just getting more dumb and needs more practise? Thank you

Please don't stress! You're already ahead of most ppl ur age taking an instrument to such a high level! If u want to improve ur maths in a pretty hassle-free way watch some youtube videos (i'd also recommend this for physics) of gcse teachers explaining some of the concepts you learn in yr 9. At some schools you're beginning to learn GCSE content which can be very daunting but, again, don't stress- you've got plenty of time before GCSEs! Make the most of the freedom in Yr 9 haha Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by dogz32

Please don't stress! You're already ahead of most ppl ur age taking an instrument to such a high level! If u want to improve ur maths in a pretty hassle-free way watch some youtube videos (i'd also recommend this for physics) of gcse teachers explaining some of the concepts you learn in yr 9. At some schools you're beginning to learn GCSE content which can be very daunting but, again, don't stress- you've got plenty of time before GCSEs! Make the most of the freedom in Yr 9 haha Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply, one more question, isn’t year 9 meant to be an important year as we’re starting our GCSEs? Do you think it’s an important year or is it just one of those years where you can just mess around and chill?🧐
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply, one more question, isn’t year 9 meant to be an important year as we’re starting our GCSEs? Do you think it’s an important year or is it just one of those years where you can just mess around and chill?🧐

As someone who got all 9s in their GCSEs I’d say a mix; Year 9 is about making the most of subjects you’ll never get to study again but also about making sure u have a good idea of the GCSE basics especially in maths and the sciences - to do this just make sure u revise for every topic test at school, and ensure u understand ur mistakes and you’ll be fine! Don’t forget to chill and save all the stress for year 11 :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4

Hiii, I'm also in Year 9 and I would probably say that Year 9 is when you can mess around and chill but you also have to start taking grades seriously and start revision for GCSEs.

Because we are starting GCSEs, subjects will get harder (you aren't getting dumber dw) and they will probably get even harder in year 10 so I would suggest starting revision even for subjects you are confident about eg. maths or physics so that you're prepared for revising in Year 10. Even just a couple of hours every week consistently will make your grades go up again!

Quick Reply

Latest