The Student Room Group

16+ entry

Hey! I am applying for Kings School Canterbury, Charterhouse, Rugby, Clifton, Epsom, St edwards, CLC for 16+ and I would like to know more about the exam process, interview, and school. My A-Level subject choices are business (or Computer Science if business is not available), economics and maths.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ivechax
Hey! I am applying for Kings School Canterbury, Charterhouse, Rugby, Clifton, Epsom, St edwards, CLC for 16+ and I would like to know more about the exam process, interview, and school. My A-Level subject choices are business (or Computer Science if business is not available), economics and maths.

I was accepted into Charterhouse, but I was applying for the IB. However, I can tell you that the exams had a pretty good ratio between knowledge (Memory) and analysis. I don't think I did that well in the exams, but I did really good on the interview, which I think is why I got in.
Original post by ivechax

I got into both CLC and charterhouse with academic scholarships and i think that the interviews are probably the deciding factors. They get applications from loads of smart students so just being confident and being able to stand out from them in your interview is totally crucial. I think that showing that you are willing to take part in all the school has to offer (clubs, performances, events) is very crucial.
For CLC, the economics exam was simple (but i do Gcse econ so i assume it would be more tricky for a non Gcse student) and you just need to show your ability to develop a logical chain of reasoning under time conditions. for CLC there are also verbal reasoning and maths or humanities pathway tests and the verbal is 11+ type things like alphabet codes. The pathway tests just require you to have an understanding of a comprehension. To practice for this i would recommend doing the UCAT practice tests (the comprehension parts) as they help train your mind for these types of questions. Maths at charterhouse was quite simple but id recommend practicing the UK math Olympiad past questions for it.(just to be extra prepared)
For CLC you also need to write an essay in June which will decide whether you even get to sit an exam or not.
For charterhouse you also need a personal statement which will also decide that. SO THESE ARE VERYYYY important. For CLC, i believe the reason i ended up with the academic scholarship was because of my essay, as the admission officer emailed my mum (2 months before the exam date) specifically to say that it was the top scoring one out of 200+ applicants and saying that I was likely to get a place, so if you can ace the essay, it can be your saviour if you maybe have a bad exam day or a dodgy interview.
Finally, i would recommend also applying to wellington college as that's the school that i chose in the end for a variety of reasons. LOL
if you have anyyyyy questions at ALL don't hesitate to ask as i wish i had someone who told me all this stuff when i applied.
Reply 3
Original post by Ninaaaaa.aajaja
I got into both CLC and charterhouse with academic scholarships and i think that the interviews are probably the deciding factors. They get applications from loads of smart students so just being confident and being able to stand out from them in your interview is totally crucial. I think that showing that you are willing to take part in all the school has to offer (clubs, performances, events) is very crucial.
For CLC, the economics exam was simple (but i do Gcse econ so i assume it would be more tricky for a non Gcse student) and you just need to show your ability to develop a logical chain of reasoning under time conditions. for CLC there are also verbal reasoning and maths or humanities pathway tests and the verbal is 11+ type things like alphabet codes. The pathway tests just require you to have an understanding of a comprehension. To practice for this i would recommend doing the UCAT practice tests (the comprehension parts) as they help train your mind for these types of questions. Maths at charterhouse was quite simple but id recommend practicing the UK math Olympiad past questions for it.(just to be extra prepared)
For CLC you also need to write an essay in June which will decide whether you even get to sit an exam or not.
For charterhouse you also need a personal statement which will also decide that. SO THESE ARE VERYYYY important. For CLC, i believe the reason i ended up with the academic scholarship was because of my essay, as the admission officer emailed my mum (2 months before the exam date) specifically to say that it was the top scoring one out of 200+ applicants and saying that I was likely to get a place, so if you can ace the essay, it can be your saviour if you maybe have a bad exam day or a dodgy interview.
Finally, i would recommend also applying to wellington college as that's the school that i chose in the end for a variety of reasons. LOL
if you have anyyyyy questions at ALL don't hesitate to ask as i wish i had someone who told me all this stuff when i applied.

tysmmm, I have many questions to ask do you have socials? Instagram?
Reply 4
Original post by antost
I was accepted into Charterhouse, but I was applying for the IB. However, I can tell you that the exams had a pretty good ratio between knowledge (Memory) and analysis. I don't think I did that well in the exams, but I did really good on the interview, which I think is why I got in.

What type of questions did they ask in the interviews?
Original post by ivechax
tysmmm, I have many questions to ask do you have socials? Instagram?

Yh my insta is precious_okeo
Reply 6
Original post by Interestedstude
Yh my insta is precious_okeo

I dmed you.
Reply 7

Hello! what questions did you get during your interview and for the essay? Thanks!
Reply 8

Hey are u going to end up going to Charterhouse or CLC. Im attending Charterhouse.
Original post by antost
Hey are u going to end up going to Charterhouse or CLC. Im attending Charterhouse.

neither. i am attending wellington college. :smile:

heyy so i'm about to take my CLC exams and was wondering if you could explain a bit more about the economics exam? I'm taking it this year so hopefully it wont be too hard but what are the type of questions?
Original post by yoloyolo365
Hello! what questions did you get during your interview and for the essay? Thanks!
I did my interview for CLC a couple weeks ago and basically it is just questions about you. So they asked what activities you do and what are your interests. Then they asked why I would like to go to CLC (make sure you have done some research and have specific examples to explain why you want to go to CLC). So it really is not hard and its much more just to get to know you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending