The Student Room Group

Chess

Anyone play it?

I sometimes go online and play other people, good for the mind especially the blitz games where you have like 5 mins to complete all your moves.

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙

♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟
♜♞♝♚♛♝♞♜

Scroll to see replies

awwww dammit. I was hoping you were gonna talk about the musical.
Yeah but man am I crap.
Reply 3
i like it but i haven't played for a while
Reply 4
I used to play it but then whenever I played it too much one day, I always had dreams about playing chess, which were really annoying and I couldn't sleep. When I play it too much in one day I just keep having thoughts about possible chess moves in my brain, which are just annoying!. Since that I don't play it no more.
Used to play a bit, not much anymore though, gets pretty boring.
Reply 6
yes I'm one of the best in my 6th form.
But my Russian friend always beats me for some reason...
Reply 7
Chess is great.

Haven't done it for a while though, but as mentioned... very good for the brain.

... and it helps having an ace opponent , keeps you on your toes.
Reply 8
Mr. Orange
Anyone play it?

I sometimes go online and play other people, good for the mind especially the blitz games where you have like 5 mins to complete all your moves.

I play quite a bit, but I would disagree that the best for your mind are blitz games. In a blitz game you only have time to analyse the position to a very basic level and you can only calculate variations to a very limited extent. It leads to a shallow way of thinking about the position. Longer time controls don't mean you can think more slowly; you still have to think fast but you can analyse much more variations and consider much more complicated features of the position, which means holding a lot more information in your head and making more nuanced decisions. If you want to improve your mind as much as possible I wouldn't play anything under 20 minutes per side.
Used to play it online and sometimes at school. Online is fun in that u can play timed games but kicking ur friend's ass at it is something else!....specially the ones who are really clever but are playing chess for the first time :smug: Now its just once in a blue moon.
Reply 10
Fysidiko
I play quite a bit, but I would disagree that the best for your mind are blitz games. In a blitz game you only have time to analyse the position to a very basic level and you can only calculate variations to a very limited extent. It leads to a shallow way of thinking about the position. Longer time controls don't mean you can think more slowly; you still have to think fast but you can analyse much more variations and consider much more complicated features of the position, which means holding a lot more information in your head and making more nuanced decisions. If you want to improve your mind as much as possible I wouldn't play anything under 20 minutes per side.

works both ways, there's still no luck in blitz chess
Reply 11
Mr. Orange
Anyone play it?

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙

♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟
♜♞♝♚♛♝♞♜

yeaaa! i still play it with my dad on the odd occasion! wanna game me online sometime when we're both free...??
Reply 12
I was really good until 11, when I pretty much gave up playing :smile: I won the county championship and tried for a place on the england team, failed and then couldn't really be bothered to do it in secondary school.
Quit after some chinese kid beat me in 1 minute.
Reply 14
Love it.
Reply 15
I play, but not nearly enough. In New York, I almost went up to one of those old guys who sit at chess tables, but I chickened out in the end. :biggrin:
Reply 16
Pedus
yeaaa! i still play it with my dad on the odd occasion! wanna game me online sometime when we're both free...??

you know a website called www.flyordie.com?

we could play as guests
Reply 17
Mr. Orange
works both ways, there's still no luck in blitz chess

I suppose that depends on what you mean by luck. There's no dice rolling and you choose all your moves but I would definitely say there's luck involved in blitz chess - you can't possibly calculate everything accurately in five minutes so some of your moves will be little more than guesses, or at best the result of a "feeling". Even at the highest levels of skill those moves will sometimes be good and sometimes be bad. To a certain extent there's an element of luck in all games of chess I think, since you're still sometimes going to be making moves without knowing for sure whether they are good or bad, but in longplay games you can be much more certain.

I've beaten IMs at blitz play. I've never even held one to a draw in tournament play, and blitz is my worst time control, but in blitz even international players make huge blunders.
Reply 18
Mr. Orange
you know a website called www.flyordie.com?

we could play as guests

for real, just tell me when... :smile:

actually, wanna play now seeing as your online?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Pedus
for real, just tell me when... :smile:

actually, wanna play now seeing as your online?

of course!

Go into room 10 on the rapid 20 chess game and you'll find me there as guest 26364

Latest