The Student Room Group

Independent Study

Hello everyone just a quick question. I've started my course now and I'm getting into all of the work that we have been given. There is one thing that my tutor said which has suprised me though. Apparently we have to study independently for a total of 48 hours a week on top of lectures and seminars. I'm not sure if that's a realistic expectation of a first year student, or rather it's merely 'official' talk which tutors are expected to say in the first couple of weeks to validate the course.

How does that compare to your courses?
(edited 13 years ago)
That sounds like a huge amount - even more than most full-time jobs! Are you sure your tutor doesn't mean that you should study 48 hours extra per module over the whole semester (48 hours over 12 weeks = 4 hours per week)? That would be much more realistic, I think.
Sounds rather high. We were told 40 hours a week including lectures and tutorials, the same amount of work as you would do in a normal full-time job.
Reply 3
A lot of tutors recommend working an extra 2 or 3 hours for every hour you spend in a lecture/seminar. It's just a guide and tbh when it comes to assignments you may be working at least an extra 24 hours a week without even realising it (unless you really hate your course and spend most of your time clock watching). 48 hours is a bit much tbh but your tutor may well be a dick, I don't know. :p:

Learn to work smart not hard and you'll be fine whether you end up studying those 48 hours or not.

I can tell you that I didn't do that much studying a week in my first year unless I had essays/exams coming up. Then again a lot of the time my background reading consisted of browsing the internet when I didn't have any assignments :ninja: (Don't do this :p:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you for the replies everyone. I will quote exactly what it says on my independent study timetable. 'Each 30 credit module you study requires 240 hours of independent study. Over ten weeks this means 24 hours per week for one module'. I'm currently taking two modules at the moment so I'm assuming they want me to study for 48 hours a week...

A bit daunting really.

Latest

Trending

Trending