The Student Room Group

40s doing IGCSE Maths

Is there anybody in their 40s doing IGCSE Maths?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
No, but I went through the program when we thought that my daughter as an International student might have to pass it, and @PinkMobilePhone might be able to offer some useful advice and help as she’s home schooled her children through a fair few IGCSE´s
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for your reply. I think I’ll study it independently and see how I go.
I assume you're doung Edexcel? It's pretty straightforward to study independently. The exam consists of 2 papers, both allowing a calculator. You can opt for Foundation or Higher.
Reply 4
Original post by 40+ student

I wasn’t going to suggest that you did anything else than study independently, but if you need some help in finding good and/ or free revision resources we can maybe help.
Good luck🍀
Reply 5
I'm 50, Portuguese, and I am currently finishing my GCSEs in Maths (Higher) and English; hopefully, I will get grades above 5 on both of them. My attendance is close to 100%, I study at home regularly, and I dedicate several hours a week to maths independent study. On my last mock test, I got 7, almost 8, according to the teacher. If your goal is just a 4 or a 5 you can take a more relaxed approach, but in my case I decided to invest in Maths as I've got an offer to study Psychology and I will need to be comfortable with statistics.
From the initial group of older students in my class, less than 50% are there now. But those who didn't give up, are still attending classes, and doing their independent study regularly, are all getting results of 5 and above. For me, it was essential to have face-to-face lessons, because you feel motivated by your peers and you know where you stand, but lessons are only a very small part of the time you have to invest, but as I said, it depends on the grade you need. Motivation is key.
Good luck! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=857

These will help :smile:
Thank you so much for your reply. It’s great to read such a positive insight into study technique from somebody who is also 40+!

All the best and I’ll take your advice on board.
Thank you so much for your reply. It’s great to read such a positive insight into study technique from somebody who is also 40+!

All the best and I’ll take your advice on board.

If you get stuck there are Maths teachers like me on here :smile:

Wow! Thank you so much. These will definitely come in handy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending