The Student Room Group

Can you be deemed as independent even if living with parents?

I have been financially independent of my parents for 3 years, currently getting student finance assessors to look at this and confirm (had a lot of issues with them being slow but seems like it will be sorted within the next week). When I did my SF application I was going to be studying 5 hours away from my parents, and renting a room/lodging. I’m now changing my uni and will be moving home to my parents and going to a uni closer but will be paying full rent for my room. If student finance deem me independent, will living at home change this? (My financial incoming and outgoings will be exactly the same as when I am not living at home)
If you were 25 or over then you would be classed as independent whether you lived with your parents or not. Same applies if you’re classed as independent for another reason.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you were 25 or over then you would be classed as independent whether you lived with your parents or not. Same applies if you’re classed as independent for another reason.

Thank you! I’m 24 until April but hopefully they will class me as independent for other reasons (financially supported myself for 3 yrs) and it will then still stand even if I live at home?
Original post by HJ999
Thank you! I’m 24 until April but hopefully they will class me as independent for other reasons (financially supported myself for 3 yrs) and it will then still stand even if I live at home?

It will :yes:
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
It will :yes:

Can you tell me how you know/are you sure? Are you a student finance rep? Sorry if I sound rude not being - just wanna to be as sure as possible as the whole money situ is worrying me!
Original post by HJ999
I have been financially independent of my parents for 3 years, currently getting student finance assessors to look at this and confirm (had a lot of issues with them being slow but seems like it will be sorted within the next week). When I did my SF application I was going to be studying 5 hours away from my parents, and renting a room/lodging. I’m now changing my uni and will be moving home to my parents and going to a uni closer but will be paying full rent for my room. If student finance deem me independent, will living at home change this? (My financial incoming and outgoings will be exactly the same as when I am not living at home)

Hi, regardless if you live at home or not, as long as your evidence shows you've been financially supporting yourself for 3 full tax years and earning enough to live on we'll be able to class you as Independent.

Regards, Aisha.
Reply 6
Original post by Aisha SFE
Hi, regardless if you live at home or not, as long as your evidence shows you've been financially supporting yourself for 3 full tax years and earning enough to live on we'll be able to class you as Independent.

Regards, Aisha.

Thank you! Could you tell me, if I am put down as independent, do I tell student finance how much I earnt in the last tax year (like a dependent student would with parents income) and do they base my loan on this even though I obviously won’t be earning that much while at uni?
Hi,

Students who are over the age of 25 before the first day of the academic year are automatically classed as independent. This allows them to have their application based on their own household income.

Thanks
Gerard
Reply 8
Original post by Gerard SFE
Hi,

Students who are over the age of 25 before the first day of the academic year are automatically classed as independent. This allows them to have their application based on their own household income.

Thanks
Gerard

Thanks, I won’t be 25 until my second year. But I have provided student finance with evidence that I have been independent financially for 3 years.
Original post by HJ999
Thanks, I won’t be 25 until my second year. But I have provided student finance with evidence that I have been independent financially for 3 years.

Hi,

If you have provided evidence that is great. This currently takes 11 working days to process.

Thanks,
Duncan
(edited 5 years ago)
On the application process, what option did you select for being an independent student?
There’s no option, only estranged however I still have contact with my parents but have been finically independent for three years, but what box do I click?
Original post by Galaxy11sol
On the application process, what option did you select for being an independent student?
There’s no option, only estranged however I still have contact with my parents but have been finically independent for three years, but what box do I click?

Hi there,

There should be an option online when completing the application to say you have self supported for 3 years before the start of your course.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending