The Student Room Group

Royal Navy are pirates, says Argentina's president

The president of Argentina has described the Royal Navy as pirates and accused the British government of behaving like an imperial power with regard to the Falkland Islands.

Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner used Twitter, the micro-blogging website, to sharply criticise plans by the Ministry of Defence to carry out military tests in the region. In a series of frank postings on her official Twitter account, she announced that Argentina had complained to the United Nations about Britain's "militarisation of the South Atlantic".

"Serious, very serious," Mrs Kirchner wrote. "Royal Navy, occupying colonial force in Falkland Islands, reports military exercise with missiles on the coast of East Falkland.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/8053835/Royal-Navy-are-pirates-says-Argentinas-president.html
:facepalm:The Falklands are British territory. Argentina has no logical claim to them... **** you Mrs Kirchner... what? Just because you aren't doing to well electorally you will bring this **** up?

Perhaps we should send a small military fleet into the Falklands, bordering Argentinian waters for lols? Maybe a trident missile ship :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

I knew the Vulcan to the Sky trust would come in handy.
Why do they drag this issue up every now and then? They ought to get it into their heads that they'll never have the Falkland Islands. :facepalm2:
Reply 3
Let 'em try....

Interestingly, though, it's the first time I've ever seen any Argentinian refer to them as the Falklands and not Las Malvinas.
LOL an occupying colonial force of islands where the vast majority (87% given in one poll) of people want to remain under British sovereignty.
Reply 5
she just wants votes thats all
Addzter
Why do they drag this issue up every now and then? They ought to get it into their heads that they'll never have the Falkland Islands. :facepalm2:

Because it distracts the Argentinian public from the real problems facing the country. It's also a sure fire vote winner.
It's pathetic.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Tut.exe
she just wants votes thats all

This its an issue of national pride and always gets votes.

But let them try we can try out our new destroyers and carriers.
Student2806
Because it distracts the Argentinian public from the real problems facing the country. It's also a sure fire vote winner.
It's pathetic.

Surely the Argentine public can see that it's never going to happen? Tsk tsk...
Sticks and stones. If they want to use that kind of tactics to win votes I can't say I give a toss.
Fair enough, from an Argentinian point of view she's made a valid point. From an un-biased point of view she's talking rubbish. I appreciate that alot of Argentinians feel that they belong to them, however the fact is that the vast majority of residents are British and would rather remain close to the UK than Argentina, regardless of whether it's right that they're there in the first place.

I do wish they would just let it go.
Reply 11
Her mum is a pirate. Dickhead.
(edited 13 years ago)
Silly cow, but there's nothing she can do about it. Just watch and see what happens if she invades. :teehee:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
tieyourmotherdown
Fair enough, from an Argentinian point of view she's made a valid point. From an un-biased point of view she's talking rubbish. I appreciate that alot of Argentinians feel that they belong to them, however the fact is that the vast majority of residents are British and would rather remain close to the UK than Argentina, regardless of whether it's right that they're there in the first place.

I do wish they would just let it go.

Even if their were no residents on the Islands, they still belong to us. Argentina has no claim to them. We owned the Islands before Argentina was an independent country ffs.
Reply 14
They've been calling Thatcher a pirate since the 80's, their bitching and moaning regarding the Falklands isn't going to cease any time soon. Seems ironic though, since they were the ones who invaded an island of civillians... did they not also plan to sabotage one of our warships over in Gibraltar too?
Reply 15
What would happen?

Victory followed by a boost in the polls for the Tories :p:
Teaddict
What would happen?

Victory followed by a boost in the polls for the Tories :p:

One can only hope... :moon:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Silly Argentinians.
If they didn't know there was potentially a load of oil there they really have no need for those islands!
It's not like there's a large number of argentinians living there already.
Addzter
Surely the Argentine public can see that it's never going to happen? Tsk tsk...

To some degree, the public's made to think that the Falklands are Argentina's by government propaganda. It's almost part of the social culture that every once in a while the government kicks up a fuss in the vain hope that they'll wear Britain down and we'll go "Oh go on, here you go..."
Out of sheer curiosity, why is an island closer to Argentina seen as British territory? Can't say I care much for the dispute but this was always a niggling thought.

Latest

Trending

Trending