The Student Room Group

St Peter's - Oxford 2004

I was just wondering if there was anyone in the same sort of position as me -

I know absolutely no one in my college and am really quite nervous about the first few days in october - meeting people etc. as it seemed at the interviews as though everyone had grouped off with people and although I did as well it wasnt with anyone I would particularly like to be friends with in the long-run...

People just seemed so driven about the whole oxford application process - clued in on what was happening where and when in the campus and up to date on all the current events in the news/ politics etc etc

Basically, im worried im going to get there and be surrounded by... (dare i say it...?!) geeks!

x
Reply 1
I'm in the same situation. I walked into Queens, showed my piece of paper to the porter and walked directly to the tutors room and then straight back out again. I think freshers week is when you really start to get to know people though, you only see a limited number of people for a limited amount of time during the interview period. I gotta say I'm much more worried at the moment about meeting my offer than I am about getting to know people during fresher's week :biggrin:
Reply 2
I got an offer for St Peters to read PPE. I was well nervous and am equally iffy about some of the people there to be honest. I know someone in the college, but they'll have left by the time i arrive (handy!). I didnt feel i could really relate to a lot of people there. Half the time i was just feeling like telling people just to chill out. Hopefully it helps you to know that someone shares your worries about it,
Reply 3
I'm at Cambridge now and I'd never been this far north and I knew noone at all, but I've made so many lovely friends now! Besides, nobody I met at the interview was here when I came in October (I suppose they didn't make it or they were deferred entries). Don't worry about it, you'll have plenty of time to make proper friends with people you'll like to be around :smile:
Erm pretty much everyone will be in your situation of not knowing anyone at all on the first day. Freshers Week though it's best to really make an effort to say hi to everyone. Social groups seem to be very natural after the first few days, and nobody is excluded unless they really want to be. Check the website I run on St Peter's
www.SPCJCR.com for stuff like the Fresher's Handbook to put your mind at ease.
Reply 5
Jools
Erm pretty much everyone will be in your situation of not knowing anyone at all on the first day. Freshers Week though it's best to really make an effort to say hi to everyone. Social groups seem to be very natural after the first few days, and nobody is excluded unless they really want to be. Check the website I run on St Peter's
www.SPCJCR.com for stuff like the Fresher's Handbook to put your mind at ease.

Wow. That really is a fantastic resource you've got there, Jools.
kildare
Wow. That really is a fantastic resource you've got there, Jools.

Cheers - most colleges have similar JCR websites but most aren't updated that much - Alaric runs one for Cam students at his college I think.

Also Steph, you can talk to ppl on this board like Jay who're going to SPC before freshers week so at least you'll sort of know someone...
Reply 7
Queens claim to have one, but I'm yet to manage to successful find anything other than a "Cannot find page" message :biggrin:
kildare
Queens claim to have one, but I'm yet to manage to successful find anything other than a "Cannot find page" message :biggrin:

http://www.queens.ox.ac.uk/jcr/
Reply 9

The link on their main site is wrong \o/

Latest

Trending

Trending