The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aivi
Cheers for that.
Will do another morning session tomorrow, and see if my lifts are once again better.

Anyone got good hip flexors&lower back stretching exercises? I don't think my hip flexors are tight, I'm quite flexible in general, but my right hip&lower back seems to be acting up with lifting. I think this might be caused by me not being careful enough while putting down the bar after cleans or snatches (no dropping at stupid commercial gym)... but extra stretching probably wouldn't do any harm.

Also, I'm in love with the hook grip now! So much more secure, and a little bit of surgical tape around the thumbs prevented any damage to fingernails.

I can't see Rubberband's pics as they're blocked for me for some reason! But if you google "lower back stretch" you get this:

which I like to do :smile:
Original post by Becca
I can't see Rubberband's pics as they're blocked for me for some reason! But if you google "lower back stretch" you get this:

which I like to do :smile:

Is he trying to... you know?
:colondollar:
Original post by Becca
I can't see Rubberband's pics as they're blocked for me for some reason!

Erk, how odd...should be fixed now! :smile:
Can anyone help me out with some exercises to work the glutes, lats, abs and hamstrings?

I've been doing squats with a barbell and lunges, I've seen real results on the fronts of my thighs, my calves and also my upper body through rows and stuff but I never come out of a workout feeling like I've worked any of the areas above. I'm really happy with the front of my legs now but not with the back, if that makes sense?

Should these muscles already be being worked from squats and lunges? If so what have I been doing wrong? :puppyeyes:
Reply 1384
Thanks for the stretching tips, most of them are familiar to me. I find the problem to be, that hib flexor muscles are quite a large group of small muscles, and most of the stretches that I know seem to focus more on the inner groin/thigh area, whereas I feel the little twinges on kinda the outsides of my hips.

And Becca, I do that one sometimes, and if I grab the bottoms of my feet and push down, so my knees touch the ground on either side of me, and then focus on pushing my lower back to the floor, I can really feel it in my back and hips. I feel a tad self-conscious doing stretches like this in the gym, looks so bloody stupid :biggrin: (should stretch more at home though)
Reply 1385
Original post by fran.ha
Can anyone help me out with some exercises to work the glutes, lats, abs and hamstrings?

I've been doing squats with a barbell and lunges, I've seen real results on the fronts of my thighs, my calves and also my upper body through rows and stuff but I never come out of a workout feeling like I've worked any of the areas above. I'm really happy with the front of my legs now but not with the back, if that makes sense?

Should these muscles already be being worked from squats and lunges? If so what have I been doing wrong? :puppyeyes:

If I only had to tell you to do one lift, it would be deadlift. You get a proper workout for your legs (hamstrings especially, but quads and glutes as well... stiff legged DLs are awesome for glutes, though you have to be flexible enough in the hip flexors so as not to compromised your back), as well as your abs and back for keeping your spine in the proper position.

As for the front/back of legs thing, the quads are bigger than the hamstrings normally, and girls usually have a fair amount of fat on the back of their thighs especially --> back of legs is less defined than front.

If you feel like you're not getting a good workout for your glutes from lunges or squats, you should for example take longer steps with your lunges, putting the emphasis on the glutes instead of the quads. Or you could try doing bulgarian split squats.

That's my two cents :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fran.ha

Deadlift + squat for glutes/hams.

Abs will be worked by heavy squats a lot.

Lats, try chin ups/lat pulldowns? Lat pulldowns until you can do 1 chin up and then do chin ups...
Original post by aivi
If I only had to tell you to do one lift, it would be deadlift. You get a proper workout for your legs (hamstrings especially, but quads and glutes as well... stiff legged DLs are awesome for glutes, though you have to be flexible enough in the hip flexors so as not to compromised your back), as well as your abs and back for keeping your spine in the proper position.

As for the front/back of legs thing, the quads are bigger than the hamstrings normally, and girls usually have a fair amount of fat on the back of their thighs especially --> back of legs is less defined than front.

If you feel like you're not getting a good workout for your glutes from lunges or squats, you should for example take longer steps with your lunges, putting the emphasis on the glutes instead of the quads. Or you could try doing bulgarian split squads.

That's my two cents :smile:

Awesome thanks for the tips.

I think I'll have to try to push myself a little more when doing lunges then, although I hate them :p: I just never really feel the burn there, but I do on the front of my legs, so bad that my legs quiver from squats by the time I've got round to lunges! Thats probably why I'm not doing them as well, because I'm quite tired out on my legs by the time I get round to them.

Just gotta do something to this ass of mine. I figure if its not getting any smaller it needs to get a lot nicer looking :p:

I've also ordered myself some protein shake, not entirely with the view to use it for post-workout, more just because I can't seem to get enough protein into my diet.

I'm joining a new gym in June when I go home and their weights area is a lot less packed from what I remember. Went to the uni gym today and am feeling a little more confident with using freeweights from my classes, but it was still jam packed with people :sad: It seems to be full all the time, and I'm not going to stand around like a lemon in front of all those guys to wait for a bench.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ladies. I miss the gym. The smell of testosterone and protein shakes, the sounds of the bass kicking the walls, the sweat as I press 30+

And I miss the DOMS :'(

The last month and a half has been crap
Protein powder arrived!

Just in time for my lifting class tomorrow. Going to try really hard to push myself tomorrow, trying slightly higher weights. I'm not sure what good this will do be as often by the end of the class I can't really do a full set of reps. Don't know if heavier weights will mean I can't do ANY of the last section of the class as I'll be so tired, or if I'll just have to stop occassionally and not be able to finish a whole set, which is the hope.

Also, found a cool pic, but I'm sure you've seen it already.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1390
Original post by fran.ha
Protein powder arrived!

Just in time for my lifting class tomorrow. Going to try really hard to push myself tomorrow, trying slightly higher weights. I'm not sure what good this will do be as often by the end of the class I can't really do a full set of reps. Don't know if heavier weights will mean I can't do ANY of the last section of the class as I'll be so tired, or if I'll just have to stop occassionally and not be able to finish a whole set, which is the hope.

Also, found a cool pic, but I'm sure you've seen it already.

What kind of sets/reps (and exercises) do you do in the class? Cause I mean if it's high reps and kind of like iron cardio, then obviously higher weights are gonna be a bit more troublesome. But I say that you'll never know until you try :wink:

Also might have discovered the reason for the twinge in my hip/back: turning to look at one side/something when putting the weight down. Atm I can not for the life of me remember was there any legit reason for doing this. Iamstupid.
Deadlift and cleans were better. Squat sucked (60kg 5x5 reaching full depth was hard). And I need to work way more on overhead squats, until my shoulders and wrists are anywhere near stable enough for snatches.
Reply 1391
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Ladies. I miss the gym. The smell of testosterone and protein shakes, the sounds of the bass kicking the walls, the sweat as I press 30+

And I miss the DOMS :'(

The last month and a half has been crap

I feel your pain. Except my ears bleed a bit from our gym's bad music (my ipod died, hopefully I can save some money during the summer to buy a new one. or I could find a proper lifting gym that played fitting music).
I also realised that I haven't been sore at all from my last two training sessions. Means I haven't been squatting enough. I shall correct this next time.
Random: I know it's immature, but I always feel a bit gleeful, if I see that I'm lifting more than some of the guys at the gym. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Even though its not so much about me lifting much, but them lifting little.
Also I never thought about the fact that guys must feel some kind of anxiety about starting lifting, if they're not very strong to begin with. We girls have our gender as an excuse to back up our starting with the smallest pink dumbbells, but what about the guys?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aivi
I feel your pain. Except my ears bleed a bit from our gym's bad music (my ipod died, hopefully I can save some money during the summer to buy a new one. or I could find a proper lifting gym that played fitting music).
I also realised that I haven't been sore at all from my last two training sessions. Means I haven't been squatting enough. I shall correct this next time.
Random: I know it's immature, but I always feel a bit gleeful, if I see that I'm lifting more than some of the guys at the gym. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Even though its not so much about me lifting much, but them lifting little.
Also I never thought about the fact that guys must feel some kind of anxiety about starting lifting, if they're not very strong to begin with. We girls have our gender as an excuse to back up our starting with the smallest pink dumbbells, but what about the guys?

I've wondered this about guys too, you reckon it could be worse starting for them? I know that some average guy could probably be throwing them round pretty quick, but then it's probably more like that it's the leaner looking guys that wana lift... complete assumption, but something I wonder.

I have my fingers crossed that I'll be rid of labyrinthitis by monday and able to hit the gym. The past 6 weeks have just been impossible for one reason or another, and I could have improved so much :frown:

One good thing though, my elbow is no longer sore and I'll definitely make sure I don't contract my arms on the deadlifts now :tongue:
Original post by aivi
What kind of sets/reps (and exercises) do you do in the class? Cause I mean if it's high reps and kind of like iron cardio, then obviously higher weights are gonna be a bit more troublesome. But I say that you'll never know until you try :wink:

Also might have discovered the reason for the twinge in my hip/back: turning to look at one side/something when putting the weight down. Atm I can not for the life of me remember was there any legit reason for doing this. Iamstupid.
Deadlift and cleans were better. Squat sucked (60kg 5x5 reaching full depth was hard). And I need to work way more on overhead squats, until my shoulders and wrists are anywhere near stable enough for snatches.

I think its fairly low reps. I think for squats its 4 squats to start off, quick stretch, then 8, three sets. We also do half squats, where you rise up only half way, which alternate between 8 and 4 reps.

Its difficult for my to remember what the exact numbers are as we do it to music and we vary so much. E.g 8 at single speed, then some half way, then some slow but with a quick push up etc. I don't think its considerbly a large amount of reps - but then I don't really know what is considered high and what isn't :p:

First half hour of class I can pretty much do it to the end of each set but feel the burn and really push myself. Second half of class I struggle. Not just struggling to do the last rep (I heard this is what should be the ideal weight for you? Is this right? If you struggle with the last/second to last etc then its about right?) I usually manage say 4 out of the 8 reps, break for 2 and then finish the last two.

I'm going to pay more attention tomorrow and try and remember but I'm just not sure if I should go up a little higher. Perhaps I should ask the instructor, he does usually push us quite hard. I wouldn't say I'm a complete weakling already but maybe I'm not quite ready to go up...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aivi

Tbh, it's embaressing as your mum coming into the free weights area with you and holding your hand at the start...

When i started i was benching 30, squatting 40 and deadlifting 55 or something and watching everyone else lift double what i was lifting was terrible. You just have to try and ignore them and not care and even after only about 2 weeks or so i had nailed down the technique and was lifting more and a guy who i'd shared the squat rack with on one of my first workouts at something like 45 was then helping me load up 70 about 2 weeks later.

4 months down the line my bench is still weak as hell compared to 90% of the guys in my gym but i can out squat most of the guys i see in their atm...

Occasionally during my assistance of curls or something when i'm going for the 10kgs as my arms are dead from DL'ing i get the hench rugby player next to me curling 22/24kg dumbells but you have to just blank them out and focus on your own routine and making progress...

That's a guys perspective from someone that started out lifting less than all of you lot currently lift...

Also, my gyms music is terrible but i've never worked out to music properly so i don't really mind...
Original post by aivi

I get that feeling too :colondollar: Got it yesterday after squatting. It seems like the guys at my gym lift what they think is a not-too-embarrassing weight with terrible form (for example tiny ROM on squats). Then they just try and improve their form on this one weight, so they look cooler with blue plates on straight away...there's one guy at my gym who's been squatting 80kg since I first started training there but he now goes much deeper than he used to.
Gym in an hour and a bit, can't wait :awesome:
Reply 1397
So You Think You Can Squat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF9QD7oCIA
Didn't do very well today. I upped the weight a little and that went OK but I had a few problems.

1. When squatting I find myself pitching forward quite a lot. I'm still keeping my back straight/slightly concave but maybe I'm going too far? Or I'm not standing with my feet wide enough apart? I just find myself pitching forward more than I think I should be.

2. I was having trouble with one of my wrists when gripping the barbell, mainly when I was pushing it back at all, really painful and I kept having to stop because it hurt so much. It didn't feel like muscle but more like some kind of ligament twinging. Any ideas?
Lol @ men squatting 60kgs - I did this when I was 12!!!

Quick Reply

Latest