The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

What are the union activities at UEA like?

I've seen a list of the societies and clubs at UEA and they seem great but, things are commonly too good to be true. So, if anyone has experienced the societies and clubs at UEA could you tell me what it is like?
Original post by Vyshto Andeddu
I've seen a list of the societies and clubs at UEA and they seem great but, things are commonly too good to be true. So, if anyone has experienced the societies and clubs at UEA could you tell me what it is like?

Hey @Vyshto Andeddu :smile:

Thanks for your question! We have over 200 sports clubs and societies on campus and as you probably saw from our extensive list, we have everything you could possibly imagine! These clubs and societies are run by students, for students, so all the events, sessions and workshops they put on are catered specifically towards their members. I'm a member of Business Society and got to be part of the committee team for 2 years - we put on annual black tie events, competitions like Dragon's Den and panels with successful business figures. I know other societies run workshops, like Baking Soc or Literature Soc and sports clubs run training sessions for all abilities! And if you want to continue a certain sport, you'll have the opportunity to join their BUCS or local league teams and compete against others. Joining in really enriches your life at uni and you get to join a fantastic community of like-minded people! You can really get involved in as many or as little clubs and societies as you want, it's particularly great if you want to pick up a new skill.

If you want to find out more about a specific club or society I'd definitely recommend checking out their Instagram because you can see what sort of events they put on and find out a little bit more there :smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Isabella (MSc Brand Leadership)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by UEA Rep Isabella

Thanks for your question! We have over 200 sports clubs and societies on campus and as you probably saw from our extensive list, we have everything you could possibly imagine! These clubs and societies are run by students, for students, so all the events, sessions and workshops they put on are catered specifically towards their members. I'm a member of Business Society and got to be part of the committee team for 2 years - we put on annual black tie events, competitions like Dragon's Den and panels with successful business figures. I know other societies run workshops, like Baking Soc or Literature Soc and sports clubs run training sessions for all abilities! And if you want to continue a certain sport, you'll have the opportunity to join their BUCS or local league teams and compete against others. Joining in really enriches your life at uni and you get to join a fantastic community of like-minded people! You can really get involved in as many or as little clubs and societies as you want, it's particularly great if you want to pick up a new skill.

If you want to find out more about a specific club or society I'd definitely recommend checking out their Instagram because you can see what sort of events they put on and find out a little bit more there :smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the response, Isabella :smile: Is there a limit to how many societies and clubs I can join? And, how will being a functioning member of a society and/or club affect my studies? Thanks
Thanks for the response, Isabella :smile: Is there a limit to how many societies and clubs I can join? And, how will being a functioning member of a society and/or club affect my studies? Thanks

Hey @Vyshto Andeddu

There isn’t a limit on how many societies and clubs you can join! However, I would definitely recommend for sports clubs to attend as many of their taster sessions which are completely free and normally hosted at the start of the semester so you can get a feel for the club to see if you enjoy it before becoming a member. And for societies, memberships tend to be a little bit cheaper so a lot of people like to sign up to a few because it means you can go to their events for free or at a discounted price. But having said that, you do not always have to be a member to take part in different events (typically more with societies), so if you see something you're interested in but not a member for, you can just purchase a ticket exclusively for that event.

From my experience, and from what I know from my friends at UEA, being part of a society/ sports club has only positively impacted our studies and time at uni. It's quite a nice excuse to take a break from studies to go to training, or drinks at the bar for a couple hours, or meet up with fellow members for a game of pool or BBQ by the lake! There is also no pressure at all to get involved in every event held, so if you find yourself wanting to dedicate more time to working or studying, there will be plenty more things happening that you can make in the future. And likewise, if you want to join a society/ club half way through the year, everyone is super welcoming and you won't feel like you've missed out on anything!

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by UEA Rep Isabella
Hey @Vyshto Andeddu

There isn’t a limit on how many societies and clubs you can join! However, I would definitely recommend for sports clubs to attend as many of their taster sessions which are completely free and normally hosted at the start of the semester so you can get a feel for the club to see if you enjoy it before becoming a member. And for societies, memberships tend to be a little bit cheaper so a lot of people like to sign up to a few because it means you can go to their events for free or at a discounted price. But having said that, you do not always have to be a member to take part in different events (typically more with societies), so if you see something you're interested in but not a member for, you can just purchase a ticket exclusively for that event.

From my experience, and from what I know from my friends at UEA, being part of a society/ sports club has only positively impacted our studies and time at uni. It's quite a nice excuse to take a break from studies to go to training, or drinks at the bar for a couple hours, or meet up with fellow members for a game of pool or BBQ by the lake! There is also no pressure at all to get involved in every event held, so if you find yourself wanting to dedicate more time to working or studying, there will be plenty more things happening that you can make in the future. And likewise, if you want to join a society/ club half way through the year, everyone is super welcoming and you won't feel like you've missed out on anything!

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Thanks for the response, UEA has been No.1 one my uni list, I just love the look of and its departments :smile: Are there any sport clubs that you recommend I join for mental health and fitness?

Hi @vyshto Andeddu
I have done a few societies.
Mountaineering, salsa, yoga and ballroom and latin!
I would say they are all really great and all different!
There are lots of events and experiences, where you can get involved.
If you have seen the list on the SU website, then please let me know which ones you are interested in and I may be able to help give you some more information on them! :smile:
Hope this helps
UEA Rep Lucy
Third year Economics with a Year Abroad Student
Thanks for the response, UEA has been No.1 one my uni list, I just love the look of and its departments :smile: Are there any sport clubs that you recommend I join for mental health and fitness?

Hey @Vyshto Andeddu
I know that during welcome week, there are sports park drop-in sessions that are super cheap or even free!
Therefore, you can get a feel for all of the sports clubs, without having to join straight away! :smile:
Some you can join, but with something like Badminton you can either join the club or instead book a court anytime with your friends, which is what I do instead! :smile:
There are loads and loads to choose from. The facilities are great in the sports centre and it is worth doing a sports park tour if you haven`t already to have a look around!
Please let me know if you have any further questions
UEA Rep Lucy
Third Year Economics with a year abroad student

That's great to hear that UEA is at the top of your list! I'm glad you love our uni as much as we do!

I know a lot of sports clubs have a concentration on ensuring their members' wellbeing is prioritised with the student committee being extremely welcoming and often having a wellbeing officer to make sure all members feel included and prioritising their mental health. Although I've never joined the club, Lifting Society have an extremely strong and welcoming community and put on weight lifting events and competitions for their members. So regardless if you have never lifted a weight before or if you're a fiend in the gym, it's suitable for all abilities! I'd also recommend team sports clubs such as Rounders who do training sessions, friendly competitions and charity events and are perfect for all abilities too. They also host lots of socials so you can have a well-balanced uni work and social life!

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending