The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smack
To be honest I don't mind that much when stuff like Lady Gaga and 90s dance tunes come on. What pisses me off is when, as shorty says, dodgy remixes come on. I'm not sure why but both of the university gyms in Aberdeen seem obsessed with having these ****ty remixes on their stereos.

They're bad, but no where near as bad as Blue. Listening to All Rise while you're trying to press is tear inducing. I think it depends on the time of day to be honest, whoever works around 4/5pm always had something angrier on, which was way more fitting :yep:
Thinking of getting rid of BB Curls (such a pointlessly boring exercise) and swapping in lunges due to a weak ankle and knee. Only think is the day I do BB curls I also do squats so is it possible to do that on the same day or am I better off moving a few exercises around? :smile:

Original post by shorty.loves.angels
They're bad, but no where near as bad as Blue. Listening to All Rise while you're trying to press is tear inducing. I think it depends on the time of day to be honest, whoever works around 4/5pm always had something angrier on, which was way more fitting :yep:

One of the upsides of workking out at home, I choose the music :cool:

I think All Rise is quite an apt song title for lifting :p:

I've decided to keep a food diary this week to try and see what I can change to clean up my diet a bit. Just gonna eat normally, then add up the total weekly calories to see if I'm eating too much! Anyone know a good site for calculating calories of particular foods?
Reply 1583
Original post by MissLightyear
Thinking of getting rid of BB Curls (such a pointlessly boring exercise) and swapping in lunges due to a weak ankle and knee. Only think is the day I do BB curls I also do squats so is it possible to do that on the same day or am I better off moving a few exercises around? :smile:

One of the upsides of workking out at home, I choose the music :cool:

I reckon you could do both. Squat first and then do lunges. Should be fine, might be tiring and hard at first but your body will get used to it.

But I'm just a noob so not sure if my advice is correct.
Original post by Becca
I think All Rise is quite an apt song title for lifting :p:

I've decided to keep a food diary this week to try and see what I can change to clean up my diet a bit. Just gonna eat normally, then add up the total weekly calories to see if I'm eating too much! Anyone know a good site for calculating calories of particular foods?

Haha maybe so, but it's still far too slow to be fitting with lifting :tongue:

That sounds like a great idea, I was only thinking the other day that I'd benefit from keeping better track - I eat on the go way too often - if you find anything let me know... in fact, aren't there some pretty good apps on the android market for that sort of thing? Might check that out :smile:

Just to add: I've found an app that's supposed to be really good for keeping a diet record. Will let you know how it is! Starting today!
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha maybe so, but it's still far too slow to be fitting with lifting :tongue:

That sounds like a great idea, I was only thinking the other day that I'd benefit from keeping better track - I eat on the go way too often - if you find anything let me know... in fact, aren't there some pretty good apps on the android market for that sort of thing? Might check that out :smile:

Yeah, it's not a good lifting song, but the title! :p:

I don't have an iphone/android...needs to be online for me. Will have a look later.
Reply 1586
Original post by Becca

I did this, made me realise just how much I was overestimating how many calories and protein I was getting in. I use Fitday.com but their measurements are American so I'd often have to use a converter to input the right amounts. Not sure if anyone has any recommendations for any other sites.
I just downloaded MyFitnessPal... seems to be an online thing too. Can also put in your workouts, they have barbell exercises!! - which is something that the Wii seems to disregard :colonhash:

My breakfast was almost 300 calories... is it suposed to be :/

I'm liking this - looks like it'll be a bit fiddly at first putting all the food diary in, but no more so than writing it up online? It gives a good estimate of the total nutritional breakdown for your diet and also tells you what you should get per day, and what you have left - great for some like me who rarely gets enough calcium/ fibre, I can now track it :smile:

You input your stats and can track your food diary and your exercise. You can have a weightloss goal if you choose - I'm using it more for the diary function but some weight tracking might be good. You can save food as recent/ my foods/ meals/ recipes, good for me as I regularly have certain meals etc.

I'd recommend you to try it if this is the kind of thing you're after. www.myfitnesspal.com
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GQ.
I reckon you could do both. Squat first and then do lunges. Should be fine, might be tiring and hard at first but your body will get used to it.

But I'm just a noob so not sure if my advice is correct.

Ah thanks, I'll give it a go anyway see if it suits me :smile:
I just downloaded MyFitnessPal... seems to be an online thing too. Can also put in your workouts, they have barbell exercises!! - which is something that the Wii seems to disregard :colonhash:

My breakfast was almost 300 calories... is it suposed to be :/

I'm liking this - looks like it'll be a bit fiddly at first putting all the food diary in, but no more so than writing it up online? It gives a good estimate of the total nutritional breakdown for your diet and also tells you what you should get per day, and what you have left - great for some like me who rarely gets enough calcium/ fibre, I can now track it :smile:

You input your stats and can track your food diary and your exercise. You can have a weightloss goal if you choose - I'm using it more for the diary function but some weight tracking might be good. You can save food as recent/ my foods/ meals/ recipes, good for me as I regularly have certain meals etc.

I'd recommend you to try it if this is the kind of thing you're after. www.myfitnesspal.com

I've signed up! Totally the thing I'm looking for! Still guesstimating a lot of my amounts (apparently I've had 300 cals plus of nutella today :s-smilie: ) but it's going to be a good guide!
Although it doesn't include strength training in calories burned and it didn't have sprinting or snatch in the database, both of which I did today :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Becca
I've signed up! Totally the thing I'm looking for! Still guesstimating a lot of my amounts (apparently I've had 300 cals plus of nutella today :s-smilie: ) but it's going to be a good guide!
Although it doesn't include strength training in calories burned and it didn't have sprinting or snatch in the database, both of which I did today :colonhash:

There is an option for "weight training" or something in cardiovascular activity, but it's very rough estimate. They say something like it's too hard to estimate the calories burnt due to different weights etc. Though I do find that there's not enough under the strength training as well.

Sorry to butt in I'm a bit of a stalker of this thread :tongue:
Original post by Becca

Yeh it's weird about the exercise part, they have some things but not others. They've got front squat but not back, I found military Press on my phone but not on the website. And I found a calorie estimate for some things but not others :/ Hmm, might have a chat to other peopl using it and see how they're getting on!

Wana add me on there as a friend? :smile: And anyone else if you're on it...

Oh and I missed the gym today 'cause I didn't realise it shut at 1pm :facepalm:
Original post by LeighAnne93
There is an option for "weight training" or something in cardiovascular activity, but it's very rough estimate. They say something like it's too hard to estimate the calories burnt due to different weights etc. Though I do find that there's not enough under the strength training as well.

Sorry to butt in I'm a bit of a stalker of this thread :tongue:

Stalkers welcome :p: We need more regular posters here! Tbh I don't really care about calories burned *that* much. Just entering my exercise arbitrarily.

Yeh it's weird about the exercise part, they have some things but not others. They've got front squat but not back, I found military Press on my phone but not on the website. And I found a calorie estimate for some things but not others :/ Hmm, might have a chat to other peopl using it and see how they're getting on!

Wana add me on there as a friend? :smile: And anyone else if you're on it...

Oh and I missed the gym today 'cause I didn't realise it shut at 1pm :facepalm:

What's your username on there?
Original post by Becca
Stalkers welcome :p: We need more regular posters here! Tbh I don't really care about calories burned *that* much. Just entering my exercise arbitrarily.

What's your username on there?

Appropriately: BarbelleBaby

Me too: I'm using it more for a diary then calories expended.
Appropriately: BarbelleBaby

Me too: I'm using it more for a diary then calories expended.

I think I've added you...don't know if it worked!
Reply 1595
I used www.livestrong.com/myplate for awhile... should start again though.
I got some videos taken today, will try to post them in my blog. Critique welcome :tongue:
Original post by aivi
I used www.livestrong.com/myplate for awhile... should start again though.
I got some videos taken today, will try to post them in my blog. Critique welcome :tongue:

Come join us on myfitnesspal? :smile: Seems pretty good for what we're after. Shame it lacks spent calories from lifting but I guess it is a bit complex... and I'm not really calorie counting anyway.

Looking forward to vids :biggrin:
Reply 1597
Come join us on myfitnesspal? :smile: Seems pretty good for what we're after. Shame it lacks spent calories from lifting but I guess it is a bit complex... and I'm not really calorie counting anyway.

Looking forward to vids :biggrin:

I'll look into it. a support group/watch dogs would probably help with my diet :tongue: And vids are up! Though if anyone has any idea how to get turn them upright, I would appreciate it. I could do it in Picasa (what I use for managing my photos), but the ones uploaded on youtube are not upright, so you have to crane your neck.
I'm pretty impressed with how well I can track my diet on that site :smile: Helps me to monitor how much **** I'm eating :lol:

On another note, seeing as I'm seriously cleaning up my diet, what would you recommend consuming after lifting? I'm not into buyig this whey protein (at least not yet) but I want to have something that's a half decent alternative. It takes me over 30 mins to get home after a gym session so something I could take would be fantastic. Everywhere seems to just suggest egg sandwiches, which is fine by me :tongue: , but if anyone could offer a few more suggestions or any reasons why something else is good/ better then please hit me with it. Would be nice to start as I mean to go on tomorrow :smile:
Reply 1599
Lifting weights rocks! It will NOT make the girl look bulky (until unless she's a professional athlete participating in Olympia chamionships, etc, but to ACHIEVE this one must really work and EAT hard).
I've been lifting weights for 10 years now and I am really glad that it is a part of my daily activities now! Love squats (on Smith machine or with free bar), my maximum is 65kg (I myself is 48kg) x 4 reps. Bench press and dead lift are among my favourite too! :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest