The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Ok, now I have images of a wet, naked chick squatting :tongue:

Yeh you sound a little over-worried. You def should have gone gym. Using the muscle again (gently at first - if it's the day after or whatever) will make it feel a little better, plus, the sooner you get your ass in there, the sooner you'll improve and increase your confidence.

EXACTLY. I am rather disappointed but I'm going with my best biatch tomorrow so I have no excuse NOT to go!

Back on track tomorrow! Good week planned, and it's weigh in day too!
Original post by Subcutaneous
EXACTLY. I am rather disappointed but I'm going with my best biatch tomorrow so I have no excuse NOT to go!

Back on track tomorrow! Good week planned, and it's weigh in day too!

:yy:

Go work like nobodies watching. Even people who have been going for years cock up. And everytime you learn a new lift you have to be ready to look like a dick if you fail. - Power cleans today were not pretty!

Just get on with it and you'll feel way better really soon :smile:
:yy:

Go work like nobodies watching. Even people who have been going for years cock up. And everytime you learn a new lift you have to be ready to look like a dick if you fail. - Power cleans today were not pretty!

Just get on with it and you'll feel way better really soon :smile:

Exactly- It's ok. I hate this time of year, i always have big pieces of coursework in within weeks of each other and it's really sunny..but being stuck infront of the computer means I just end up feeling guilty everytime i'm not at home doing work!
Exactly- It's ok. I hate this time of year, i always have big pieces of coursework in within weeks of each other and it's really sunny..but being stuck infront of the computer means I just end up feeling guilty everytime i'm not at home doing work!

I used to get like that. It is a horrible feeling. I sort of learnt though that if I didn't do anything else during the day, that didn't mean I'd actually sit and do the work/ revision. Try making yourself a structured timetable and sticking to it for a few days. Working out really is energising and motivating, You might find that if you keep it up regularly then you'll be more likely to do other things such as revise - or do chores/ cleaning/ good, healthy cooking if you're like me :smile:
Reply 1784
Original post by Becca
so will have a cheeky session to try out my lifting shoes which arrived! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Indepth review needed :tongue: (pretty please)

That sounds horrible, I hate going into the weights area aswell because of similar reasons.

They just stare at me like I'm mad..and 'not meant to be there' which is why I'm waiting till 8pm to go the gym as it's quieter!!!

EDIT: on the other hand I also hate those silly little girls who come dolled up to the gym and spend 10mins on the bike on their phone with not a bead of sweat hitting their body and then wonder off to sauna...

Original post by fran.ha
One guy sat and stared at me the whole 10 minutes I was doing sit-ups (I was doing ****ty sit ups because he was staring at me so I didn't want to go into the weights area, load of good that did :nothing:) And then some other guy stood and watched me entirely while I was on one of the machines before making some smarmy comment and walking off. Just piss off and let me get on with my own work out without staring at me the whole time.

I need my own personal gym. I'm glad this gym is cheap because its a waste of money, everyone is so intimidating and just spends the whole time judging me :rolleyes:

I think this has already been discussed, and I've commented, but unless you can set up your own garage/cellar gym, you just have to deal with it. While it might not be nice, I think it can in the long run be useful for building a tougher mental attitude. You are going to get judged throughout your whole life, and you its important to build up confidence, so that you can ignore the possible stares and comments, and know that you are doing what you want and what is good for you.
1.) Go to the gym with a plan; knowing what kind warm up, what exercises, set&reps etc. you are going to do will help you feel and look more confident.
2.) Ignore everyone else as much as you can, unless you have to ask someone if they are done with certain equipment etc. I get people staring at me and sometimes commenting to their buddies (a few nice guys have come to talk to me a bit, usually old ones that are confident in their manliness and not put off by me squatting the same as them, I imagine lol) whether in scorn or admiration, I don't care. If they want to come talk to me (insults would be dealt with swiftly, but polite chitchat is fine), then I acknowledge them, but otherwise I'm focused 100% on the barbell in my hands.
If I miss a lift, then I don't make a big show out of it, but after a pause of thought move to correct the situation with perhaps taking some weight off, or doing my next rep with extra concentration on a certain technical aspect of the lift etc.

Just keep going to the gym and training, and with hard work and some time you'll be probably outsquatting all of them, and doing respectable weights on other lifts, showing that you belong there.
Original post by aivi

Spoiler

Very well said :yy: It really does help to have a plan and JUST GET ON WITH IT. Easier said than done, yes, but it's either face it for a couple of weeks or get nowhere.

And if you want to feel better about yourself here's what I did recently...

Walked through to the gym after changing, warmed up a little, went over to the squat rack. All as per usual. Stood reading a poster while I stripped the barbell of about 80kg. Just as I took the second 20kg plate off the barbell, it flipped off the squat rack and a good 60kg crashed down onto the fan. I'd completely neglected to balance the weight - I've only been going there over a year...

Oh, and to make it worse, I did exactly the same thing next time I came in :facepalm: Fortunately the trainer (who had been stood just feet away both times) just waltzed over, picked it up, put his arm round me and said 'I'm just glad you're alive'
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aivi
Indepth review needed :tongue: (pretty please)

I think this has already been discussed, and I've commented, but unless you can set up your own garage/cellar gym, you just have to deal with it. While it might not be nice, I think it can in the long run be useful for building a tougher mental attitude. You are going to get judged throughout your whole life, and you its important to build up confidence, so that you can ignore the possible stares and comments, and know that you are doing what you want and what is good for you.
1.) Go to the gym with a plan; knowing what kind warm up, what exercises, set&reps etc. you are going to do will help you feel and look more confident.
2.) Ignore everyone else as much as you can, unless you have to ask someone if they are done with certain equipment etc. I get people staring at me and sometimes commenting to their buddies (a few nice guys have come to talk to me a bit, usually old ones that are confident in their manliness and not put off by me squatting the same as them, I imagine lol) whether in scorn or admiration, I don't care. If they want to come talk to me (insults would be dealt with swiftly, but polite chitchat is fine), then I acknowledge them, but otherwise I'm focused 100% on the barbell in my hands.
If I miss a lift, then I don't make a big show out of it, but after a pause of thought move to correct the situation with perhaps taking some weight off, or doing my next rep with extra concentration on a certain technical aspect of the lift etc.

Just keep going to the gym and training, and with hard work and some time you'll be probably outsquatting all of them, and doing respectable weights on other lifts, showing that you belong there.

Will try and review the shoes don't know how great it will be though!!

This is really good advice. You really just have to get over the potential stares. If you pay membership you have as much right to be there as they do. If people make snotty remarks, just smile and carry on. I always have a written copy of EXACTLY what reps and weights I am planning to do that session, unless I'm going to just have a fun easy session. Having something written down might be a good idea for those lacking confidence in the weight room.

fran.ha
x

subcutaneous
x

Here is me making an idiot of myself at the gym, drawing even more attention to it by filming!

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aivi
x

Thanks, I guess its just I have real confidence issues. I try really hard to pluck up the courage but its my worst nightmare really. It took me about 2 months to pluckup the courage to go pick up a dumbbell from the edge of the weight room and run off with it to hide round the corner in a gym usually packed with people so I could blend in, so its even more difficult now in a wide open gym with only around 3 people in there at a time and especially as I can't hide anywhere. Every time I go I try a little harder to get somewhere with it but I guess I just don't have the confidence you have.
Reply 1788
Original post by fran.ha
Thanks, I guess its just I have real confidence issues. I try really hard to pluck up the courage but its my worst nightmare really. It took me about 2 months to pluckup the courage to go pick up a dumbbell from the edge of the weight room and run off with it to hide round the corner in a gym usually packed with people so I could blend in, so its even more difficult now in a wide open gym with only around 3 people in there at a time and especially as I can't hide anywhere. Every time I go I try a little harder to get somewhere with it but I guess I just don't have the confidence you have.

Sometimes it takes small steps to get somewhere, as long as you're doing something to improve, that's okay. But the other option is to just bite the bullet. I'm not the most confident person meeting and interacting with new people, but I've been improving during the last year, f.e. have accepted positions of responsibility, where I have to talk to people more :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Really fab advice aivi. I'm lucky in that I don't fit a skinny girl stereotype and I have quite a big, athletic frame- taller than some of the guys there!

Looking back my last session the guy saw me using the same weights as him- and immediately went higher and just couldn't do it!

I live in quite a dense ethnic area and the men who go are quite often from Asian, polish backgrounds etc and they are unfortunately the ones who make rude, sexist
comments- or inappropriate staring!

I'm a lot more confident going into the weights area than I was a year ago- think 6 weeks working in a male prison and going in daily into the gym with the lads beat a fair bit of my fear!

I find once I'm THERE I pop my music on and just zone totally out anyway!
Is it bad im looming forward to the gym to
tomirrow for this only reason:

My friend is SO small in height and skinny- very fit and does loads of cardio but isn't toned in the upper body or have any strength, total opposite to me as I'm relatively unfit, tall, stocky build etc. Even though I'm new to training I can still comfortably lift my boyfriends 15kg dumbbell- after 5 glasses of wine! She, could not...so for the first time I'm enjoying going to the gym and not feeling inadequate next to her lol!
Perhaps this answer to all this is I buy an iPod so I can't hear the tw*ts:p:
Original post by fran.ha
Perhaps this answer to all this is I buy an iPod so I can't hear the tw*ts:p:

Yeah! Get those massive headphones that block out all noise as well :p:
Hello :sexface:

Reply 1794
Original post by Becca
Hello :sexface:

Nice. I'm staying at my friend's place for a few days, and 3 of her house mates are big gym rats, so I've got someone to talk to about lifting as well as some eye candy haha :biggrin:
Reply 1795
I was wondering if any of you want to join me in a challenge to improve your diets? I'm going to do a Paleo "challenge" for July to clean up my diet and experiment with what foods work for me (now is the time to do things like this, without the stress of uni/work interfering), as well as hopefully lose the ~5kg (hopefully fat) to get to my desired weight category for boxing.
In really simple terms, my diet will essentially not include any grains, sugar or anything man-made. I will also start off with not using any dairy or eggs, and then slowly re-introducing them back (I have a feeling that I will get confirmation of the fact, that while I like eggs, my stomach has some trouble with them, if they're on their own f.e. omelette).

So while a paleo-like diet might be a bit too challenging (I've been reading about it for a while and thinking what I'm going to eat etc.), you could just ditch sugar for a month, or eat clean (nothing that comes in a bottle or package, cooking from scratch, going completely organic would be a step even further) or something else. If you survive the month, you might find that it's much easier to just continue on the same path. I've experienced this many times, as I find total abstinence much easier than eating in moderation.

If you want you can read about my July challenge in my blog: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1665148&page=3
I'll basically be keeping a simple food diary, commenting on how I feel/possible effects on training etc.
I'll be mostly doing conditioning training for the next two months as I won't have access to a gym/weights :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)

And if you want to feel better about yourself here's what I did recently...

Walked through to the gym after changing, warmed up a little, went over to the squat rack. All as per usual. Stood reading a poster while I stripped the barbell of about 80kg. Just as I took the second 20kg plate off the barbell, it flipped off the squat rack and a good 60kg crashed down onto the fan. I'd completely neglected to balance the weight - I've only been going there over a year...

I read this and laughed thinking 'that's something I would do!' ....

Guess what? I did it today! I wasnt concentrating and just took the weights off the side nearest me then as I went to put a weight down I just heard a massive crash and my mum scream :colondollar: Dont think my barbell appreciated that!
Original post by aivi
I was wondering if any of you want to join me in a challenge to improve your diets? I'm going to do a Paleo "challenge" for July to clean up my diet and experiment with what foods work for me (now is the time to do things like this, without the stress of uni/work interfering), as well as hopefully lose the ~5kg (hopefully fat) to get to my desired weight category for boxing.
In really simple terms, my diet will essentially not include any grains, sugar or anything man-made. I will also start off with not using any dairy or eggs, and then slowly re-introducing them back (I have a feeling that I will get confirmation of the fact, that while I like eggs, my stomach has some trouble with them, if they're on their own f.e. omelette).

So while a paleo-like diet might be a bit too challenging (I've been reading about it for a while and thinking what I'm going to eat etc.), you could just ditch sugar for a month, or eat clean (nothing that comes in a bottle or package, cooking from scratch, going completely organic would be a step even further) or something else. If you survive the month, you might find that it's much easier to just continue on the same path. I've experienced this many times, as I find total abstinence much easier than eating in moderation.

If you want you can read about my July challenge in my blog: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1665148&page=3
I'll basically be keeping a simple food diary, commenting on how I feel/possible effects on training etc.
I'll be mostly doing conditioning training for the next two months as I won't have access to a gym/weights :frown:

Oooo I've been looking at this recently. Not in a lot of depth but like you I'd rather go the whole hog with something than just try little changes. I'll check your blog out, I'm interested!
Reply 1798
Oooo I've been looking at this recently. Not in a lot of depth but like you I'd rather go the whole hog with something than just try little changes. I'll check your blog out, I'm interested!

I'm posting a longer post about the diet in my blog, once I finish reading "Paleo Dieter's Missing Link" by Adam Farrah (recommended reading for getting started with paleo and adjusting it to your own needs and goals. There are other books that lay the foundation and scientific evidence to back up the diet, but Adam's book is more about different tools to actually implement the diet) this week.
Original post by aivi
I'm posting a longer post about the diet in my blog, once I finish reading "Paleo Dieter's Missing Link" by Adam Farrah (recommended reading for getting started with paleo and adjusting it to your own needs and goals. There are other books that lay the foundation and scientific evidence to back up the diet, but Adam's book is more about different tools to actually implement the diet) this week.

I did have a brief glance at that book. Is it helpful? Like I say, I've only just looked into it, but it seems that it could become quite difficult. Thoughts?

I really cleaned up my diet for just 2 weeks and felt loads better. Didn't feel the need to snack, never felt bloated etc. Would be nice to find a way of doing this more permanently (I say more permanent because there are times when it is difficult, such as going out for food) without it becoming a chore to find the right products and cook meals for one every couple of hours.

Quick Reply

Latest