The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone, I am a postgraduate and I'm still deciding where to live for this coming year. Most of my classes will be held near George Square, therefore the places I am looking at the most at the moment are as follows:

Richmond
Roxburgh Place
Mylne's Court
Blackwood Crescent/Causewayside
Warrender Park Crescent

Anyone have any suggestions as to which of these would be best? Mainly what I'm looking for is affordability, safety, and distance from my classes.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by DancerPerson
Hello everyone, I am a postgraduate and I'm still deciding where to live for this coming year. Most of my classes will be held near George Square, therefore the places I am looking at the most at the moment are as follows:

Richmond
Roxburgh Place
Mylne's Court
Blackwood Crescent/Causewayside
Warrender Park Crescent

Anyone have any suggestions as to which of these would be best? Mainly what I'm looking for is affordability, safety, and distance from my classes.

Sciennes is a 10 minute walk from George Square, and also offers one of the cheapest options (£3085 single room).
Original post by WeekendOffender
Sciennes is a 10 minute walk from George Square, and also offers one of the cheapest options (£3085 single room).

But unavailable to postgraduate students.
Reply 583
Original post by Kirsty4
I think mine says FC342 we might be in the same flat! :smile:

This is the flat I stayed in last year! It's block 3, flat 4, room 2. I really enjoyed Fraser Court, you should have fun there :smile:
Reply 584
Hi!
I just now occurred to me that I should start to think about accommodation for Edinburgh... I'm thinknig of putting it as my insurance, but I still need to wait until June 20th to know for sure whether I'll be going or not (that's when I get my exam results, and I have until the 30th to reply to the offers on UCAS)...
So anyway, I was wondering if anybody could tell me what it's like to be in a self-catered as opposed to catered?
Since I'll only be 16 when I go, will I still be allowed to be in self-catered?
Are there any self-catered halls anybody could recommend? I'm mainly looking for proximity to classes (George Square)?

If I were to go for a catered room, I would like to have an en-suite, but I don't really like the idea of living in Pollock where nearly EVERYBODY else will be, in those huge buildings... Also, how is the walk from Pollock to George Square?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I just feel like I've started this process a bit late...
Thanks!
Reply 585
Original post by TurnerE
xxx

Your questions have been answered several times in this thread - have a quick read through it and see if that helps :smile:
Reply 586
So I was just looking at Darroch Court on google maps streetview and I spotted two drug dealers (?) in front of the blue door. Weird :P
Reply 587
Original post by Andreaz
So I was just looking at Darroch Court on google maps streetview and I spotted two drug dealers (?) in front of the blue door. Weird :P

What on earth makes you think they are drug dealers? That seems a little extreme :tongue:
Reply 588
Original post by Andreaz

I think it looks like they're having a thumb war :smile:
Original post by Andreaz

Original post by Andreaz

From looking on google, that isn't actually the main entrance to Darroch. You need to go onto 48 the Pleasance, and then there is a little side road going off to some apartment blocks. This is the main entrance to Darroch going through to where the court yard is.... whilst the flats do back onto the road you were looking at, I don't think there are any actual entrances that way. Although I could be wrong, it may just be that I knew no one who entered that way!
Reply 590
Original post by Fracey_92
This is the flat I stayed in last year! It's block 3, flat 4, room 2. I really enjoyed Fraser Court, you should have fun there :smile:

Thank you for letting me know! I wasn't entirely sure how the number got broken down because people have different interpretations of it. I can't wait to go and stay there, it looks so nice :smile: do you know if there were any vet students staying in fraser court last year?
Ok, so I've narrowed my preference list down. Does anyone know the pros and cons of living in Mylne's Court? I heard it was a busy area because a lot of tourists pass through...
Reply 592
Anyone else at Lee House?
Reply 593
Hi, does anybody know which post grad accommodation at Edinburgh Uni, has the nicest en suite rooms?
Reply 594
Hi,

What is the average age of most people living in postgraduate self catered residence? I will be a first year MBA student and any info would be helpful. Also, any advice which residence is the nicest?

Thanks
Reply 595
Has anybody lived, or is going to live at McDonald road flats/apartments in Edinburgh? WHat is it like there? A good place to live? Any information would be fantastic!
Original post by Andreaz

I stayed in Darroch last year. They'll be druggies, the blue door there on streetview is a homeless shelter. If your window looks down over there then you'll be able to see them but their never any hassle.

Don't take any rubbish out to the binstore at night. I found two homeless guys in there. Scared the bejesus out of me!

But Darroch is great and the homeless shelter isn't an issue.
Original post by DancerPerson
Ok, so I've narrowed my preference list down. Does anyone know the pros and cons of living in Mylne's Court? I heard it was a busy area because a lot of tourists pass through...

I had a friend who lived there for two years (or 3, I can't remember) and she had no problems with it. I think she liked being central to everything.
Reply 598
I applied for accommodation on 2nd June .. still no response...except for an update that"Our records show you have applied, but not yet been allocated a room. Please check again later"...any clues to how long it takes for them to make an offer...
Original post by lofty2304

Original post by lofty2304
I applied for accommodation on 2nd June .. still no response...except for an update that"Our records show you have applied, but not yet been allocated a room. Please check again later"...any clues to how long it takes for them to make an offer...

Much longer than 12 days.

Depending on your offer status, you might be waiting until September.

I'm still very surprised that anyone has an offer for accommodation at such an early stage in the summer.

Original post by MikePsych
Has anybody lived, or is going to live at McDonald road flats/apartments in Edinburgh? WHat is it like there? A good place to live? Any information would be fantastic!

They're a bit of a way out. I have a friend who lived in a flat on that road, but it was private rather than a Unite thing.
I say they're way out but they're not per se in terms of the City of Edinburgh generally, its more that they're not in the main student area for Edinburgh Uni in Edinburgh, which makes me say they're out of the way. It would probably take you about 40 minutes to walk to the Central Area from there or go on the bus, which wouldn't really take very long as there are loads from Leith Walk through to the Bridges area, but its more of a case of how annoying you'd consider travelling by bus to be given that Edinburgh is a city where very few students do need to use public transport on a regular basis. Most people live around the Meadows, giving around a 10-15 minute walk to the main parts of the university and you'd be going in the opposite direction.

The actual location of Mcdonald road is great in terms of the fact there is a decently sized Tesco Metro on Leith Walk and there are loads of other shops, so in terms of day to day living you'd be fine and if you were a 2nd year or higher looking for private accommodation then I wouldn't really question it as you'd know Edinburgh well enough to make a decision. However as a first year I think you need to decide how important living close to everyone else is to you as you'd need to take taxis/the night bus to get around in the evenings whereas most other people can just walk from flat parties or back home from clubs and normally there will be a group of people all walking the same way, and you'd be going the opposite direction to everyone else. If it happened that you were best friends with your flatmates/other people you lived with, this wouldn't be an issue which is why I don't think it would be for private accommodation in the later years, but if you ended up in a situation where you didn't get on with your flatmates living down Leith Walk would be annoying and more of a hindrance in terms of cost and travel time to get to where your actual friends live.

Essentially, I think it depends what kind of person you are and how much you'd consider this to be an issue. I came to university determined that I was not going to travel around everywhere on the bus as I grew up in the middle of nowhere in the countryside and had lived on a bus for life. One of the things I loved about Edinburgh is that I was right in the centre of a capital city yet everything was accessible on foot and I wouldn't have enjoyed travelling around on the bus all of the time. However, now I'm living in London I spend my life on the tube and I "enjoy" that, but it wasn't what I was looking for at the stage of my life when I was an undergraduate going to Edinburgh. I'd say if you can try to live somewhere more central to the university/to where everyone else is in your first year, then once you've been in Edinburgh for a year you'll know whether living in the non student areas/out of the way is something you'd be happy with or not. A number of students do it - RainFairy lives in Leith I think, but she's in the minority.

If you want Unite, have you looked at the ones by the art college? That's a much better location in my opinion :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending