The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Does anyone know if we need to bring our own hangers for clothes or will they be in our rooms?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 781
Original post by ieva'
Does anyone know if we need to bring our own hangers for clothes or will they be in our rooms?

I had a couple of hangers in my wardrobe in Sciennes, but I brought some with me too, which I was glad to have - there were maybe 5 there, and they were the sort of crap leftover ones you'd expect.
Reply 782
Original post by ieva'

Depends on how generous the previous occupant was. A good idea to take a few.
Reply 783
That means I'm taking my own ones.
Thanks to both! x
Woooo, Robertsons Close! My second choice (I think. Can hardly remember now!!) :smile:
Reply 785
Guys, are you taking clothing iron to uni?? I'll be living in a flat and the website says that there will be an ironing board only so I assume i should bring my own iron..?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ieva'
Guys, are you taking clothing iron to uni?? I'll be living in a flat and the website says that there will be an ironing board only so I assume i should bring my own iron..?

Yeah, I seen earlier in this thread/another accommodation thread that if you want one, you need to bring your own :smile:

What else, apart from irons (which I'll be leaving at home..) should we bring? I know duvets/pillows etc. What about kitchen things? Cutlery? Pots and pans? Do we need plates and things or will they already be there?

x
Reply 787
Original post by MySweetheartTheDrunk
Yeah, I seen earlier in this thread/another accommodation thread that if you want one, you need to bring your own :smile:

What else, apart from irons (which I'll be leaving at home..) should we bring? I know duvets/pillows etc. What about kitchen things? Cutlery? Pots and pans? Do we need plates and things or will they already be there?

x

You'll need to get your own cutlery and crockery. We were supplied with a couple of pans, but getting your own is a good idea. We didn't get a toaster wither, which probably explained about two thirds of all the fire alarms.
Reply 788
Are there any music rooms on campus avaliable for all students (not just for music students or pollock halls residents - http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/current-students/facilities/ph-student-facilities/music-rooms) that contain at least a piano? Thanks.
Original post by metjush
Are there any music rooms on campus avaliable for all students (not just for music students or pollock halls residents - http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/current-students/facilities/ph-student-facilities/music-rooms) that contain at least a piano? Thanks.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/edinburgh-college-art/music/resources/facilities/facilities-booking-forms

You can pay £20 a year for a pass to use the practice rooms in the music faculty buildings. You get one from the music office and all current students, staff and graduates are eligible for a pass, although it says that priority may be given to music degree students in the run up to exams.
Reply 790
Hi all,

All of the information on this site has proven to be very useful in deciding my plans for accommodation, and I thank you all for that. I'll be a visiting undergraduate student this fall semester, and have been looking into various options for housing. I plan to live off campus, and am looking at a few apartments. One is on Thistle Street, in Between Queen Street and George Street. The other is on East Cross Causeway, near Richmond Place. Can anyone here tell me how those locations are, in terms of the area and how far away I would be from most classes?
Reply 791
Thistle Street is pretty far out, its pretty much in the city centre and is probably a good 25-30 min walk from the central campus

east cross causeway is right in the middle of the newington area, and is a five minute walk from the central campus
brown14
x

Original post by Lu-Tze
Thistle Street is pretty far out, its pretty much in the city centre and is probably a good 25-30 min walk from the central campus

east cross causeway is right in the middle of the newington area, and is a five minute walk from the central campus

Aye, I wouldn't stay on Thistle St.

Best bet would be to look up George Square on Google Maps, and then search for directions to the addresses you're interested in (you can even get pedestrian directions) to give you an idea of location, distance and time from George Square.
Bit of a question here, if you can help would be AMAZING!

I never planned on moving to Edinburgh, I live like 20 mins by car away takes the bus around one hour. Not far at all. Yet some things have happened here.. I will need to move. On the 13th of August (three days before cut off) I applied for accommodation. The email said it was confirmed and sent (etc). I sent an email along with it just merely asking "I know it's late, are you able to say if you still have rooms". I'm covered by the guarantee so I guess they will do their best.

Personally, Should I hold my breath or should I start looking for a Share flat?

Thanks
Reply 794
Original post by DancerPerson
I want to have my accommodation funds paid by my student loans, but I think in order to do this I need a UK bank account. Can anyone recommend a good bank where I can open an account? I'm overseas and so I don't really know what the main banks are, and I rather get this done soon so I can also pay my matriculation fees using a UK bank account.

I would recommend The Co-operative Bank. They have the largest student overdraft available, and they're also the only ethical bank (if you're into that sort of thing). They don't invest in arms companies and the like, as many other banks (including Barclays!) do, and they close accounts for organisations/people that are racist/homophobic etc.

They are also a co-operative, so no big CEO bonuses, and they survived the crisis very well!
What the fresh hell is this bunk ensuite deal?

I went to bed with it being a single catered ensuite room and woke up and now my offer has changed?
Original post by jayjaybird33
What the fresh hell is this bunk ensuite deal?

I went to bed with it being a single catered ensuite room and woke up and now my offer has changed?

Ring the accommodation people and ask them why it changed. I've never heard of an offer being changed after it was made, so that is quite bizarre.

Otherwise it just means that you'll have an ensuite room, but sharing it with someone.
Original post by Tommer
I would recommend The Co-operative Bank. They have the largest student overdraft available, and they're also the only ethical bank (if you're into that sort of thing). They don't invest in arms companies and the like, as many other banks (including Barclays!) do, and they close accounts for organisations/people that are racist/homophobic etc.

They are also a co-operative, so no big CEO bonuses, and they survived the crisis very well!

Be aware that Co-Op only have one branch in Scotland - in Glasgow. And that the next nearest branch is Newcastle. It may be worth going with a bank that has a bigger presence in Edinburgh.

And not to be pedantic - but there are other ethical banks out there like Tridos. And arguably most building societies and credit unions are pretty ethical too. Just saying, y'know.
Reply 798
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Be aware that Co-Op only have one branch in Scotland - in Glasgow. And that the next nearest branch is Newcastle. It may be worth going with a bank that has a bigger presence in Edinburgh.

And not to be pedantic - but there are other ethical banks out there like Tridos. And arguably most building societies and credit unions are pretty ethical too. Just saying, y'know.

True, but it is the best student account in terms of overdraft as well. It also tries to compensate its lack of branches with a very helpful call centre! Triodos isn't British and doesn't offer student accounts - you can't deny that for a bank of the size and scale of The Co-op it is rare to be ethical.

Anyways, it was just a personal recommendation :smile:
Original post by Rainfaery
Ring the accommodation people and ask them why it changed. I've never heard of an offer being changed after it was made, so that is quite bizarre.

Otherwise it just means that you'll have an ensuite room, but sharing it with someone.

They said that "The system had not updated which explains the change of accommodation."

:confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending